Computer Stats

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not 100% sure this thread should go here but as I am not sure where it should go I will just put it in General Discussion. This is composed of 3 questions. 1. What are the recommended specs of a computer running StarMade. 2.Any tips to increase performance. 3. What are/ do you think Schema's test computer's stats are. This thread is born out of the fact that I am getting frustrated with the game dropping to <10 fps when viewing a cluster of asteroids, or a station, or a planet(this I kind of expected). Also you can comment about how the game runs for you.
    My Stats
    CPU: Intel i5 3.00 GHz Quad core
    Graphic: Nvidia Quadro FX 570
    Memory: 6 GB
    Java: 1.7.0_55 64-bit

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Windows 7
    CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz Quadcore
    GPU: Nvidia GT 520
    Memory: 4GB DDR2

30 FPS when viewing a mid size ship (50k mass, 300m long)
    5-20 FPS when viewing large objects or objects with massive windows.

Reaction score
    CPU: Intel i7-3610M (up to 3.3 GHz) Quadcore
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 680M (4GB GDDR5 @ 900MHz)
    RAM: 16GB (4GB x 4 @1600 MHz)
    Storage: 1 x 750 GB HDD
    2 x 126 GB SSD's in RAID 0 configuration)

Frames per second varies depending on what I'm looking at. Usually doesn't go over 290 fps. Haven't seen it dip under 40 fps when looking at huge ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    OS: Windows 8 (I know. Shush its not that bad once you get used to it. Plus I had a chance to get a free copy from a friend)
    CPU: AMD 8 core 3.5 GHz
    GPU: AMD R9 270
    RAM: 8GB Ballistics (2X4GB)
    Storage: 1TB Seagate HDD

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4ghz
    GPU: GTX550ti
    RAM: 4gb
    Storage: old one salvaged from an iMac :(

or my laptop

CPU: Intel i5 quad core @ 1.7ghz (turbo to 2.2)
    GPU: Intel hd4000 (works, dont see what peoples problems are)
    RAM: 10gb(somehow single stick, I dunno, magic)
    Storage: 24gb SSD for Ubuntu, 500GB hdd for winderp

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    tenk11kamikaza has written a guide for helping low end computers handle SM if that is what you need.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wee, a fellow linux user :D
    Id try Linux out if I had a better understanding of how it worked. I grew up with Windows so I'm used to it and I've never had the chance of trying it out too much. How different is it? Can I still play the games that I do on windows? Im assuming since its a different OS then they will have to be Linux compatible. However I have heard rumors of games running smoother on Linux is this true?

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Id try Linux out if I had a better understanding of how it worked. I grew up with Windows so I'm used to it and I've never had the chance of trying it out too much. How different is it? Can I still play the games that I do on windows? Im assuming since its a different OS then they will have to be Linux compatible. However I have heard rumors of games running smoother on Linux is this true?
    In general, linux performs better on hardware, provided it supports the hardware.(e.g. if the manufacturer does not make drivers for linux, and prohibits others from making them, that piece of hardware isn't usable)
    And yes, most recent game by big studios have no linux support, which is sad. However, the amount of games getting ported increases, and most indie games I know have linux support, or are playable within a windows emulator. And yes, there are windows emulators for linux :P
    Once one is used to the user interface of linux, one basically is unable to switch back to windows(and for windows only games, that don't work in the emulators, one can multiboot). Another nice fact is that you don't really have to worry about malware.

Since getting into details may result in a huge WoT, I'll pm you if you're interested.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That NVidia Quadro sounds like the bottleneck. Quadros are generally good for digital 2D drafting, but 3D gaming is generally more intense. I use a 8500 GT.

Fortunately, NVidia graphics cards are finally starting to slowly drop in price after a long period of stagnant prices. (Curse you, BitCoin!)

As a matter of fact, NewEgg is selling an 8400 GS for $30 right now.

Edit: To help with the frame rate, consider dropping the view distance. I'm running alright at a draw distance of 750 versus 1000.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    CPU: Intel i5 3.00 GHz Quad core (yea I didn't even bother rewriting that, it's exactly the same :p)
    Graphic: ? 1GB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Java: ? 64-bit
    And a jet engine-sized processor cooling fan.

As you can see, my PC is not much. There is some info missing that I'll fill out later.

The PC runs Starmade very well with almost maxed out graphics. Never tried to record a video, though. Not sure if my PC is even powerful enough to record anything to be honest.

Reaction score
    (and for windows only games, that don't work in the emulators, one can multiboot).
    No! That's not true! It's impossible! Seriously, though. I'm getting aggressive in about one minute after login—and I don't even have UAC enabled. Stuff constantly popping up and the need to click into a widget to make it mouse wheel scrollable¹ is killing me. Not even mentioning the "Windows Explorer", lol.

OS: Fedora 20. According to some unconfirmed rumors I do also have an old Windows 7 partition that I haven't booted into in roughly two years.
    CPU: Some Phenom II X4
    GPU: nvidia GTX 560ti (or something like that)
    RAM: 8 GB
    HDD: Yes, no SSD.

Performance in StarMade is very good for me, I can play with shadows, HD textures and bloom without noticeable stuttering. Don't know what the exact FPS is, though, I have info of this kind disabled.

¹ Seriously, WTF? This is the worst part about the Windows GUI. I remember the first time trying a some LInux (I believe it was Debian with KDE). I was like "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, I can just scroll and stuff moves, SUCH FREEDOM!!".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    CPU: AMD A10 APU @4.2Ghz, quad core.
    GPU: R7 260 2GB
    RAM: 16 GB
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD, 1 A-DATA 128GB SSD.
    (I prefer windows because i'm too lazy and i like my games..)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    CPU: AMD Phenon II X6 1100T
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1)
    RAM: 16gb of whatever Corsair Vengeance model I have
    HDD: 1TB and 2TB Western Digital Black

I basically max everything except for textures which I keep at 128. Not because I can't go higher easily, but massive objects with maxed textures do slow me down a little. I prefer the fluidity at all times.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz
    RAM : 4GB DDR3
    HDD : 5400RPM 120gb

Java : java version "1.6.0_65"

How to increase performance in 5 easy steps on all machine specs.

Turn shadows OFF.
    Advanced options > Disable Background.
    Use Default textures @ 64 - 128 resolution.
    Set view distance to 1000 or lower, depending on results.
    Turn normal maps OFF.

I get a solid 25-30 fps on my 6 year old macbook with the above settings.

Hardcore low mode.

Atmosphere shader : None.
    Lighting Quality : 16
    In game menu, No. Stars 0. Space dust; OFF.

Occlusion culling is a great performance enhancer, but is quite hardware specific on low end specs. If things flicker, turn it off.
    VBO bulk size is again, something that you will have to trial and error should you have lots of VRAM available, but always leave it ON.