Compression Blocks

Reaction score
    I was wondering if anyone one else would be interested in something like this.

Basically the idea is to have compressed versions of blocks that would have higher power consumption, higher mass, but higher power and more health.

This kind of thing could be used for various hulls to make them stronger but higher mass, or for weapons systems to make them stronger in a more compact area. Another few uses could include higher powered reactors, larger power storage, stronger shield capacitors and rechargers. This could help limit the need for massive ships that drag down servers and could help with making more detailed ships that are still very efficient.

Let me know what you guys think

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    That higher power and mass better be by a factor of like 10, because if we have learned anything, it's that getting the rarest blocks in game isn't hard once you get going. Within 3 days my faction pulled in millions in each resource and are building decent sized ships.

I don't really think this is necessary. I would like to see more systems. But if anything, certain things need nerfing to prevent doom cubes. Not special OP blocks that, regardless of their cost or stats, will be used in bulk by the worst kinds of players.

Reaction score
    I agree, a 1:1 ratio would be game breaking. Originally i was thinking it would take like 5 of a block to make one compressed, and that compressed block would have like 2 times the power of a standard block.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I'd say in theory this is a good idea (especially since it would cut down on lag) But it doesn't really suit starmade that well because speed is almost useless in capital combat so the mass penalty isn't really that noticeable and it just ends up being OP.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't like this idea.

There would be no advantage to using these blocks over ones already in game except for hull blocks. The problem there is that there are physical/code-based reasons hull has limited hp. Hull limitations will be addressed with upcoming features. I've read about an HP system for ships, but there are no details on specifically how this will function other than it will be designed to prevent 'coring' a ship and will balance big ships to small ones.

Consider that there are no real advantages (right now) to having a small ship, so trading in 5 Cannons for 1 Compressed Cannon would give no benefits.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I've read about an HP system for ships, but there are no details on specifically how this will function other than it will be designed to prevent 'coring' a ship and will balance big ships to small ones.
    There are scraps of info floating around. We know it will not directly alter armour values due to the 99% armour cap, it would probably be like a 'shield' of sorts that negates a % of damage before it calculates block damage.

We also know it will be based off number of hull blocks, not a percentage or grouping bonus. It's suppose to be a linear scaling meant to match the scaling of weapons. But this is the extent of what I know.
    As for the OP, I know there is a capital ship system being thought about by the Devs, things like trading speed for station-only blocks like factories and a new hyperdrive. Things like increased mass and slower speeds won't be much of a balancing thing for ships that already can't move. Just a thought.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to see what you guys thought of the idea.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What you suggest is like putting 5 fighters in the same space as 1 fighter.
    This would keep evasion the same, but increase synergy (especially shared shield and handling of entities).

Something that would be interesting would be blocks:
    1. Dedicated for big+heavy stations
      • You get 8 instead of 1 for similar ressources.
      • but they have only 1/5 efficiency per block (8/5 in total).
    2. Dedicated for small+agile ships
      • Spend 3 normal blocks to get 1 of these.
      • +5..10% efficiency.
      • Get 2 station-blocks extra to promote station-building and trading.
    3. Dedicated for cost-efficiency
      • What we have now.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I had a similar idea not long ago, but didn't post it, cause maybe it wouldn't work as intended.
    It was also a compression block, costing 11 times the cost of 1 block and have 10 times the effect + 10mass + 10 times the other requirements.
    But also needs a 3x3 area of air (or non functional blocks) in front of it.
    That would allow you to build ship-decks without loosing much efficiency.
    But I think it is to complicated to implement for its little use.

Reactions: NeonSturm