Compilation of Ship Classifications to date

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    and then proceed to write an entire essay on ship size.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But in the end I just have one thing to say: What\'s the point then?

Server conversation #1:

John: Hey Doe, what\'s your ship class?
    Doe: It\'s a cruiser...
    John: Ahh... ok (I think!)

Server conversation #2

Doe: Hey John, what\'s your ship class?
    John: It\'s a 200k mass ship, with 150x AMC(1500) 40x BB(400) and an hangar for ships under 1K mass.
    Doe: Start running, I\'m comin for you!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    By \'\'not going into detail\'\' I meant \'\'not forcing excess criteria for ship classification\'\' or \'\'keep the classification clean and simple\'\'.

I got carried away anyway ^^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This guy either wants to take on a Titan with a ship a tenth of the size or he just doesn\'t understand what \'\'cruiser\'\' stands for.

Only other explanation is he was joking ^^

Names of ship class correspond to what they would be like in the navy - with the exception of the titan.

The point is that everyone would know what their ship is and they would then be able to tell what kind of a ship they can and can\'t take on (alone). I guess there has to be some kind of a system in place. You wouldn\'t expect Navy to just go \'\'it\'s a big ship\'\' - though I can\'t really explain why.

I just took averages of what people wrote and fashioned them into a new system. Whether you use it or not is - for now - an entirely different matter ^^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Which classification would be most useful for someone creating a docking system on a station? do any of these have comparative values on each category stating typical spacial dimensions that category\'s ships fits into?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This makes it hard to really work out docking requirements without actually looking at the ship.

Generally speaking, you don\'t dock anything larger than a Cruiser/Battlecruiser, simply because:

a) Anything bigger is about as big as the Carrier you are using

b) The core is dangerously close to the surface which makes the ship easy to destroy

c) It\'s just impractical, docking is mostly useful for transporting lots of smaller ships in one go i.e. for when you drop AI drones into enemy territory. Dropping a large AI ship isn\'t a good idea since it might be lured away by a tiny decoy and it cannot defend itself as well as it could if somebody was piloting it.

If you want some rough estimates, Fighters don\'t usually get more than in 50 length, Frigates go anywhere between 50-100, Cruisers can top out 200-250, Battlecrusier will probably be beyond 300 meters. Battleships and Dreadnoughts at 500-600 meters and Titans at up to and over 1 kilometer in length aren\'t practical docking ships ^^

Reaction score
    That\'s actually the problem the IDC system was created to solve. http://star-made.org/content/icarthian-docking-classification-system It needs an update now that the base size of docks have changed and cores are no longer centered on the docking module, but it should still be a useful starting point for what you\'re trying to do.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I don\'t really like Blitz\'s or other ship classifications that makes the scale too down. As a replica builder, 1:1 buildings get too much higher then it was supposed to be. I created a 1:2 replica with some changes of a Orion fighter, which is from the game \" Tachyon - The Fringe \" , and according to Blitz, it calls a battlecruiser, which does not make any kind of sense, not only for the good acceleration (reaches server\'s max speed [100] in a matter of less then 10 secounds) and good manuverability.... I don\'t really know why this and nameless\'s are so popular...

I understand that 1:1 replicas will never really match, since i\'m making a 1:1 Normandy SR2 from the Mass Effect game, didn\'t even filled the interior, and it is already a dreadnought, while in game is called a frigate. Pretty sure that will be called a Titan when I finish it (it will take a while....)

I hope schema makes a official classification, that makes actual sense....

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Im hurt you didnt add mine :p http://star-made.org/content/brotherhood-ship-classification

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can\'t believe I missed that one. I swear I\'ve seen it a few times lol Well, the fault has now been rectified :) One more to the collection :D