Community Challenge #1 (8/19/13-8/25/13)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry I'm late but first day of school/internship business. :O

Hey guys this is the first community driven challenge! There were a lot of ideas thrown around for this first challenge, even a few from general chat. Eventually we narrowed it down to a single, awesome challenge. The challenge?

Build a spacestation (or ship) in which two teams fight for controll over key points of the station/ship. The idea being that we could encourage some cool use of the new laser pistols in some player battles!

A few rules and suggestions!

• Each team must have 4 undeathinators. (Maybe the attackers could spawn in a boarding ship-just an idea)
    • There should be atleast 1 objective for the attackers to destroy and the defenders to protect. (maybe powergenerators? reactors?)
    • Submissions must be in before monday of next week and voting will open up on saturday so I encourage you to submit before the weekend!
    • Have fun with it!

How does it work?

We will start with voting!

You guys will vote for each submission and the piece with the most votes will be made winner! Voting starts this saturday. (I go by EST so, please only vote after 12:00am EST saturday).

For this challenge, voters keep in mind these things:

• design originality
    • amount of cover for players
    • team balancing
    • whether it looks good! lol

And the most awesome part! The winner's event/hall of win!

The winners design will be incorporated in a community event each friday of the next week. (this gives me time to contact the winner, get the design etc etc.)

This time the winner of the event will have his map used in a community server battle between all those who voted! (So in your vote please include your in game name so that I may whitelist you for the event server)

REMEMBER NO VOTE = NO WHITELIST.

The battle will be tournament style, with teams randomly chosen or if you have a full team of 4 and all 4 have voted we will make sure to put you together! The tournament will be a best 2 of 3 for the teams. with each side playing attacker and defender atleast once!

Once the tournament has ended, the winners of the event will be added to the Hall of win along with the creator of the design!

I look forward to the entries and wish you all good luck!

Also if I missed something or there is a typo let me know, I rushed this post once I got the chance to get it up. Also, I'm off to bed. Any changes will have to be made tomorrow!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Looks great! Format is good. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Reaction score
    I suppose by the wording that you are trying to avoid the use of planets?

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, so much for this. Should we just let it be until we get some participation or come up with somethng simpler?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    (Or a \"planet\" that is a station according to the game)

Then we could impliment some interesting little mechanics due to the lack of automatic gravity.

Idea 1: Anti-personel turrets. Would basically be designed as such:

Blocks: 1. AM cannon. 2. AMC computer. 3. Permission module. 4. AI module. 5. ship core. 6. faction module.

a 6-block turret of such configuration would be relatively useless for anti-ship combat, but would be of sufficient threat to astronauts without being too hard to take down with only blasters.

Then again, the AI mechanics at present are rather... meh. So instead of AI turrets, perhaps just a 3-block turret a player can enter (AM cannon, computer, and ship core).

Idea 2. Set the maximum speed to something like 10 m/s. Make some small vehicles that can be used in the location of battle. Vehicles of course would be designed with astronaut combat in mind, which means no shields (even one shield block makes for over 1k of shields to have to get through). And the weapons would all be 1-AMC things. Depending on suggested player numbers, vehicles could be designed around use by multiple people. i.e. the driver has no weapons, but the vehicle has a small turret that can be manned by another player which DOES have weapons. Naturally, the vehicles do not actually have to look good, as they need to be killable by people without vehicles, even if the vehicles have some advantage.

While potentially workable on planets, even small ships tend to get a little weird in their interactions with worlds after a bit, so using one as a tank may not be all too viable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d love to see more challenges, just because one doesn\'t go over, doesn\'t mean other challenges won\'t!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If I had enough time in a day to do so, I\'d probably rig up something using turrets with their own gravity orientations to create a weird arena-type deal where players come from different directions, all seem like they\'re fallinng into a central core room with various features. For bonus Fun (in the DF sense), the battle should ideally take place nearby a planetary system and the ship should dip in and out of the planet\'s own gravity field at regular times,causing players to momentarily be re-oriented towards the planet gravity, if I recall how this works in Starmade.

Also the core battle room would be in a sphere of water because Blitzball was awesome and nobody can convince me otherwise.