Read by Schine Commas in large numbers.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hmmm... I am at an impasse, because a thread about this already exists, however it's really old, so if I posted on it It would be necro.

After reading through the rules I am sure this is the 'correct' way of doing this.

So, the problem; space is a large place, full of large things. Large things means large numbers. Large numbers without some sort of divider are near unreadable. Now then, I am aware that in many European nations (sans the United Kingdom) it is customary to divide numbers as follows.

Whereas in the Anglosphere, the far more common method is.

If this could be controlled by language settings, that would be ideal. If not, I don't really care which one, but there needs to be some division, without it, you can't easily tell if you have ₵5000000 or ₵50000000. Or if your ship's main cannon's DPS is 6000000 or 600000.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Good point, will inquire as to what is possible as god only knows how this kind of thing might effect things on the backend!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    From what I know of programming, this should be pretty basic and shouldn't effect the back end at all.
    It's simply formatting in the UI.
    But being a UI thing, it probably won't happen until the UI overhaul.
    FYI, it's called a delimiter

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Hmmm... I am at an impasse, because a thread about this already exists, however it's really old, so if I posted on it It would be necro.

After reading through the rules I am sure this is the 'correct' way of doing this.

So, the problem; space is a large place, full of large things. Large things means large numbers. Large numbers without some sort of divider are near unreadable. Now then, I am aware that in many European nations (sans the United Kingdom) it is customary to divide numbers as follows.

Whereas in the Anglosphere, the far more common method is.

If this could be controlled by language settings, that would be ideal. If not, I don't really care which one, but there needs to be some division, without it, you can't easily tell if you have ₵5000000 or ₵50000000. Or if your ship's main cannon's DPS is 6000000 or 600000.
    Please also add scientific notation there. For those, that are more familiar with it.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Please also add scientific notation there. For those, that are more familiar with it.
    I don't really think that the numbers in SM get large enough to make it necessary. But I guess, if you make it an option. As most people can't easily read that.

The most readable would be text, but that takes up way more space. Unless you only approximate it, then it becomes less accurate.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I don't really think that the numbers in SM get large enough to make it necessary. But I guess, if you make it an option. As most people can't easily read that.

The most readable would be text, but that takes up way more space. Unless you only approximate it, then it becomes less accurate.
    If this could be controlled by language settings, that would be ideal.
    :P

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    A very specific request. Even as far as translations go, this is a low priority change. I will archive this for future reference.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    How about a divider with apostrophes too? 123'456'759.0

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Good point, will inquire as to what is possible as god only knows how this kind of thing might effect things on the backend!
    Unless java has a built-in function for this, it's something that Schema will need to write once and apply to any place where large numbers appear.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459783943,1459783863][/DOUBLEPOST]
    A very specific request. Even as far as translations go, this is a low priority change. I will archive this for future reference.
    I'm not sure why you consider this so low-priority. It would make every large number in the game more readable. Currently, I have to count the zeros with my finger or mouse pointer.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Number delimiter and decimal should simply be added to the translation XML. Then you could have multiple translations for each language, depending on how you want the numbers to look. Very easy change.

Code:
    <Element translator="default" var="#NUM_DELIM">
    <Translation>,</Translation>
    <Original>,</Original>
    <Arguments/>
    </Element>
    <Element translator="default" var="#NUM_DEC">
    <Translation>.</Translation>
    <Original>.</Original>
    <Arguments/>
    </Element>

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Unless java has a built-in function for this, it's something that Schema will need to write once and apply to any place where large numbers appear.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459783943,1459783863][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm not sure why you consider this so low-priority. It would make every large number in the game more readable. Currently, I have to count the zeros with my finger or mouse pointer.
    Usually translation is handled by someone that knows that language. My point however is that if they already have commas then that should be enough to hold us over until full translations are done.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Usually translation is handled by someone that knows that language. My point however is that if they already have commas then that should be enough to hold us over until full translations are done.
    They don't have commas.