Comets

Reaction score
    Thsi is about comets and shooting astroids, so and astroid will be flying and stuff and if it gets within a certain distance to a planet, then it will like come to its orbit and crash down. as for comets, you can see then rarely and like mine out the minerals in it while its flying on by. if you have colision on and one of these hit you then your in trouble...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    like why do people use like?
    Asteroids moving around would be good the only problem i see with this is, it causing lag

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Comets would be neat.

further more, not only do they add danger to stations and planets, but if you were to cover you ship in ice, and have a radar jammer installed.....

Reaction score
    Not a bad idea I suppose, adds more interesting things to the game to make it alive :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This would add a complete new mechanics to the game to have a rock move around the galaxy.

Pirates and traders pop in and out of existence depending on the proximity of players.
    How would this work for comets and asteroids?
    If they don't pop out of existence, do they 'pauze' instead?

How would they change their trajectory near stars and planets? Howmuch would this change their trajectory? Based on number of blocks? Types of blocks?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    This would add a complete new mechanics to the game to have a rock move around the galaxy.

Pirates and traders pop in and out of existence depending on the proximity of players.
    How would this work for comets and asteroids?
    If they don't pop out of existence, do they 'pauze' instead?

How would they change their trajectory near stars and planets? Howmuch would this change their trajectory? Based on number of blocks? Types of blocks?
    Since comets behave predictably(they'll always stay on course, unless someone bumps into them), their location can be determined at any time, if the velocity, mass and mass of the star are known at one time, and the current time is also known. All of this can be achieved easily. If they clip through a station or planet while the sector is not loaded, I doubt many would notice or complain :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Since comets behave predictably(they'll always stay on course, unless someone bumps into them), their location can be determined at any time, if the velocity, mass and mass of the star are known at one time, and the current time is also known. All of this can be achieved easily. If they clip through a station or planet while the sector is not loaded, I doubt many would notice or complain :p
    Comets do not stay on course (if you mean a straight line). The course bends depending on the distance from heavy bodies, like stars. So calculating the new location when needed will be a complex set of interactions between stars, planets, and possible collisions in between due to stations.
    I never understood what actually rotates when dealing with planets, but depending on time, a planet has a different location and thus interacts differently to the comet's trajectory.
    Predictability? Out the window.

Another thing, where do these comets start?
    When should the server despawn a comet?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Comets do not stay on course (if you mean a straight line). The course bends depending on the distance from heavy bodies, like stars. So calculating the new location when needed will be a complex set of interactions between stars, planets, and possible collisions in between due to stations.
    I never understood what actually rotates when dealing with planets, but depending on time, a planet has a different location and thus interacts differently to the comet's trajectory.
    Predictability? Out the window.
    I dealt with all cases.
    Since comets behave predictably(they'll always stay on course, unless someone bumps into them), their location can be determined at any time, if the velocity, mass and mass of the star are known at one time, and the current time is also known. All of this can be achieved easily. If they clip through a station or planet while the sector is not loaded, I doubt many would notice or complain :p

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Would you care to share the exact manner you dealt with all these cases ?
    Why would I refer gravitational pull of the star of the system[a.k.a it's mass], if not to get an elliptic course around the star?

Also, as I said, I don't think many will complain if a comet does not interact with unloaded (!) entities(this includes planets in currently not loaded sectors), if it is for the sake of performance.

Did I forget anything?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why would I refer gravitational pull of the star of the system[a.k.a it's mass], if not to get an elliptic course around the star?

Also, as I said, I don't think many will complain if a comet does not interact with unloaded (!) entities(this includes planets in currently not loaded sectors), if it is for the sake of performance.

Did I forget anything?
    I guess I missed the part where planets play no part in gravitational pull.
    In that case, yes, you are correct.

What should happen if it collides with anything?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I guess I missed the part where planets play no part in gravitational pull.
    In that case, yes, you are correct.

What should happen if it collides with anything?
    If a komet enters a loaded sector, or a sector the komet is currently in is loaded, the komet will behave like a normal object[asteroid], except it has no damping, and is attracted to the star(so if it doesn't interact with something, it'll behave as if the sector wasn't loaded). If something else changes it's speed or trajectory, the course is recalculated the moment the komet enters an unloaded sector, or the sector the comet is in unloads. Purely visual effects(like a bright tail) are handled clientside only, and thus have no influence on the object itself.