Combined wedges.

Would you like to see that?

• Yes!

Votes: 1 16.7%
    • No.

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    could it be possible to combine two wedges?
    Example: x=black hull wedge. y=white hull wedge.
    x/y

I know it is a small thing, but I would love to see that in the future.

BoezZ.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That is difficult, because each block has it's own ID.
    with 8 colors all combination of colors would be: n*(n-1). With n=8, 54 newly occupied block IDs.

Now imagine -as an extreme example- a request for 3-color pentas: n*(n-1)*(n-2). With n=8, 324 newly occupied block IDs.

Reaction score
    That is difficult, because each block has it's own ID.
    with 8 colors all combination of colors would be: n*(n-1). With n=8, 54 newly occupied block IDs.

Now imagine -as an extreme example- a request for 3-color pentas: n*(n-1)*(n-2). With n=8, 324 newly occupied block IDs.
    Yeah, that is also what i thought, but imagine how awesome it would be. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, that is also what i thought, but imagine how awesome it would be. :)
    We don't really have enough item IDs for that to be practical, as it stands currently. It would be neat, sure, but is it worth blowing 54 out of 2000-something item IDs on that, rather than using all of those for new terrain blocks and whatnot?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Too much work for Skooma for such a small impact on gameplay.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are many times that I'd like to make an angle on plextanium (glass) meet perfectly with hull. It's just not worth the cost of block IDs. Maybe it would be possible to have a building option that wouldn't take up extra block IDs, where the builder opts for the surrounding blocks to "fill in" the extra space with like-visuals. Since I usually use all-like (same color) blocks all around angled glass for angled windows, the surrounding hull would simply "bleed" into the extra space left by the angled glass, leaving no void.

Imagine this mechanic: You select one block of the surrounding hull as if you were picking a weapon computer ("C"), then pick the angled block as a subordinate ("V"). Then the game engine knows to "complete" the cube of the subordinate block with the surrounding hull, so that the surrounding hull would basically be copied to the subordinate's location, and then part of that copy would be overwritten with the subordinate block.

Edit: A visual might help.

Current build:

AAAA---B
    AAAA--BB
    AAAA-BBB
    AAAABBBB

What happens when using the "completion" mechanic:

Rendering step A:
    AAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAA

Rendering step B:
    AAAAAAAB
    AAAAAABB
    AAAAABBB
    AAAABBBB

Aside from using rendering tricks, I imagine it might be possible to use opposing block types to fill in the gap within the same cubic area when using the same master-slave block relationship.

Opposing Blocks:

Wedge: Wedge
    Corner: Wedge (there really isn't an exact opposing shape for Corner in the game (yet), so wedge would be the closest candidate)
    Tetra: Penta
    Penta: Tetra

The game engine would simply fill in the extra "space" left over by the angled block with an opposing shape of the selected block.

From an inventory point of view, if this opposing-piece-fill option were implemented, it would check for and use up the appropriate block in your inventory. If the piece that fills in the space is not available, you don't get to fill in that space). I think it would be fair and acceptable to simply lose the opposing block when salvaging or rebuilding that particular block. It may seem difficult to lose that corner piece to oblivion. However, I think it's good to try to keep the game as streamlined as possible, which includes not placing some sort of weird double-block flags in these special block locations.

Last edited: