Colored and Angled Plex doors with Better Ship docking and Warp drives?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know this has been brought up plenty of times, but i feel like we should continue pushing this thread, and many others regarding COLORED AND ANGLED PLEX DOORS. It would add a little more creativity, and make the game a bit more attractive.

Second, i would love to see a better ship docking system implemented into the game, which allows you to change the direction of your docked ships. or do something like in space engineers with magnetic landing gears, but only able to land inside the desginated landing zone(Docking module) And disallow ships to be ghosting rectangles at max width/length/ height to fit within another box for docking, i think that if you make a Tri-wing-fighter, it should be able to fit in a hanger which is tri-wing-fighter shaped.

Third, i think warp drives, like in Star Wars, would be a great addition to the game, The larger the warp drive, the longer in-warp time and greater speed you have. But the Warp drive takes a little longer to re-charge.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It's a good bit of work to add.. 45 new types of plex door.
    Well, it's not really too much, is it? It's just the same model as blocks that exist. It's the same functionality as blocks that exist. I don't think it's something too hard, I mean, it's work, but it's not something as difficult as adding the weapons/effects which were models that exist, with new textures and tons of new functionality.
    Adding new docking features though, that might take a while and I wouldn't imagine that's a priority, as compared to other various improvements.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just don't want to have to craft them for the case somebody has a faction-shared blueprint for uniform combat with 45 different colors in hull, doors, ...

Even if you can spawn ships with > your inventory, placing blocks separated by material and plating(color) should be implemented first.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No colored doors, that's silly, but yes, door wedges would be a good thing. And different TYPES of doors - say, thin, sliding doors that open automatically when you touch them, etc.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've run into that kind of thing too, but... There are only so many types of blocks the game can hold. I don't think rainbow doors should be top priority. :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sure, as long as I can see my doors on the same color hull. Otherwise, it would just be a pain trying to dock.
    Also, I think I can get you your blockIDs like this.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd just like some hazard plex doors, and wedges. That's what, 4 new types of blocks?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    what we really need that will make so you can have a lot of colour is the ability to paint hulls, glass?, plex doors and some other things. the only ids you need is the wedges and the other shapes and the full block. no need to replace blocks when you can paint over them

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Third, i think warp drives, like in Star Wars, would be a great addition to the game, The larger the warp drive, the longer in-warp time and greater speed you have. But the Warp drive takes a little longer to re-charge.
    already in dev

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    already in dev
    Not really.
    Warp time and warp distance is not depending on blocks. it is a either you can or you can not thing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    what we really need that will make so you can have a lot of colour is the ability to paint hulls, glass?, plex doors and some other things. the only ids you need is the wedges and the other shapes and the full block. no need to replace blocks when you can paint over them
    It's not a matter of IDs, its a matter of information that can be stored. Currently all blocks use three bytes of information. If you wanted to have full RGB for your blocks, you would need more bits than you already have. However, it is possible to rearrange the bits and merge the shapes (rather than hull type or color) and I have a wall of text explaining it over here.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, it's not really too much, is it? It's just the same model as blocks that exist. It's the same functionality as blocks that exist. I don't think it's something too hard, I mean, it's work, but it's not something as difficult as adding the weapons/effects which were models that exist, with new textures and tons of new functionality.
    Adding new docking features though, that might take a while and I wouldn't imagine that's a priority, as compared to other various improvements.
    I'd just like some hazard plex doors, and wedges. That's what, 4 new types of blocks?
    because 2 blocks can not occupy the same place, unless you want a wedge shaped gap next to your wedge plexdoor there would have to be a wedge plexdoor with an integral wedge hull of every type and colour (10 colours, normal and hardened hull =20 blocks) plus a bit of coding to so the model used for the plexdoor is switched to a different one so you don't end up with a see through face on the hull part of the wedge plexdoor that remains visible when open, or a new model that does not yet exist so it has internal faces

its not too difficult to get the wedge plexdoor effect without a new block, it just means the door has to be recessed by 1 layer:

but coloured plexdoors would be easy to add by using up a few extra block IDs

Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, having a wedge shape for the plexdoors would still be useful if you want to put braces on the outside of your door or the door is at a slope or something else I haven't even thought of. I might post an example of where wedges would be good if I find one soon.

EDIT: got one. This is @Dalmont 's station contest entry. Note the pattern on the door ruined by the lack of plexdoor wedges in the game right no.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    because 2 blocks can not occupy the same place, unless you want a wedge shaped gap next to your wedge plexdoor
    I love how the plexdoors work, and do wish there was some kind of new plexdoor block that integrated into the same 3D space as an existing angle-block. I bet Schema is good enough to make it work, so that when you apply such a block, a partial plexdoor block is applied, automatically filling in the space left in the block by the angled item that was already in place by drawing additional polygons in the empty spaces and applying the plexdoor texture to those angled polygons. (without just pasting in a regular plexdoor block, leading to ugly Z-buffer flickering when two textures overlap in 3D space). With such logic, you could probably use plexdoors in the same block with absolutely any other block, so only one additional BlockID would be needed. However, unless the mechanic uses linking between the doorframe and regular plexdoor blocks, it would require the addition of an additional bit to the block data (currently at 3 bytes = 24 bits, all filled to the brim, and with folks wanting to add even more bits). The additional bit would be a flag that tells the game whether the block should include a plexdoor filler. This mechanic would accommodate current plexdoors, but not allow for colored plexdoors.

Legend:
    G = Grey Hull Wedge
    P = PlexDoor Filler

Standard Grey Hull Block:
    G G G
    G G G
    G G G

Stand-alone Grey Hull Wedge:
    G G G
    G G
    G

Grey Hull Wedge with PlexDoor Filler:
    G G G
    G G P
    G P P

When the associated door is activated (opened), the plexdoor filler disappears, leaving the original non-plexdoor block visible in that block.

In addition to nice doors with angled edges without receding doors into 1-m thick door frames, this could also be useful for decoration and RP elements where the plexdoor filler might not necessarily be connected to an adjacent door group. Between possibly needing an additional data bit, drawing additional polygons in a cube unit with a modelled block, and creating links between regular blocks and plexdoor groups, this idea is probably stillborn.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In order to use Plex Door Wedges properly, you'd have to be able to merge wedges of different types together, something the devs have all but ruled out as a feature.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In order to use Plex Door Wedges properly, you'd have to be able to merge wedges of different types together, something the devs have all but ruled out as a feature.
    Not entirely true. If the door has no frame(a.k.a. is comepletely outside), there is a use.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sorry for necroposting, but I to would like to see more variety in the plex doors.
    I'm new to the game and slowly catching up, but there are times I would like to have a different colour or texture to my doors.
    Angle shapes would be handy to line them up with the block shapes I make.
    Something that would be really handy, would be to make different coloured shapes/letters/numbers using the different colours. I can do this with the blocks, but it would be nice to do with the doors. Ideal for door or hatch labelling.

Reaction score
    Second, i would love to see a better ship docking system implemented into the game, which allows you to change the direction of your docked ships. or do something like in space engineers with magnetic landing gears, but only able to land inside the designated landing zone
    Already in the works, will slowly be implemented over the next several updates according to the developers blog (link). The new system would only be limited to having enough open space for the ship and enough docking enhancers for the ship/turrets mass.