collisions and atmospheres

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hey guys Blurb 357 here,

As you have seen in Starmade 1.0 there are now collision and spiining my idea:

If a small ship hits big ship: small ship blows up and takes a bit out of big ships sheilds

Small ship Vs Small ships: both blow up

Big ship vs small ship: small ship blows up

Big ship vs Big ship: both blow up

also instead of the damage there is fire, the fire slowly reduces the hp of the hull and spereads, the fire can be set out in build mode and if you get too close then fire shall harm you.

Atmospheres, the main part of a planet is its atmosphere, now we have the helmets we can breath in space, then why dont we have a block that generates oxygen in a ship. Also if go want to go into a planet then you must pass through its atmosphre. BUT if you have no shild or if your ship is like a massive block then bits of your ship shall fall off, your shuttles Dont HAVE to have sheilds BUT they need to be streamlined. And big blocky ships can pass through the atmosphere BUT it shall take alot out of your sheilds.

Also when you are in space and you are outside the boundries of a shop or space station (both which have an atmosphere) and you dont have a helmet you shall start to die, this could be coded like the drowning in minecraft.

Hope you like my ideas

Blurb357

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I\'m working on a 1.4km ship

that\'s big enough so that I can\'t even render the ship from back to front

It would really suck if I just collided with stuff because I can\'t see them and damage my ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I haven\'t been on the dev version. Does the collision damage at the moment bypass shields and damage blocks, or does it have to go through the shields first?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Instead of small and big I suggest you think about it from the standpoint of a programmer.

On impact call the same routine that you would call for missile impact. Both ships take the same damage originating from the point of impact. Scale the damage and radius of the blast proportionally to ((mass of ship1)+(mass of ship2))*(Net impact speed)*(impact damage multiplier set in server.conf)

That way, just as in the real universe, the energy released will be shared equally, but proportionally larger ships will find the collision more survivable than smaller ones.

As to the atmosphere generators. I think that\'s on Schemas \"to do\" list.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    what is broken is supposed to be fixed, most likely in the weapons patch that will come SoonTM

Reaction score
    If collision damage is ever implimented, I will immediatly disable it.Worrying about having to find that one damaged block when repairing from a simple bump will annoy me to no end.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you think that collision would be as it is right now if you enable it then i would bet that you would be vary wrong.

most likely what ever you hit will be way smaller then you (Becuase localizing missing blocks on smaller ships aint that hard) and your sheild would most likely absorb the damage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You say ships should burn up in atmospheres, but really, ships in starmade don\'t travel nearly fast enough to have such heat problems. Space shuttles need heat shields because they accelerate to well over 7000 m/s to stay in orbit, but ships in star made can only travel at a small fraction of the speed of sound, which itself is a small fraction of the speed of say, the I.S.S.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    A better healing system will have to be added for collision damage not to be annoying, for example having shops have a \"heal ship\" feature

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Either absorb with shields or heal ship.

*joke btw* If AMC shots get implemented, I will immediatly disable this feature in my block config.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And planets are a lot smaller too.

BTW: Would be fun if it helps to balance planetary defenses vs ships in favor of defense.

The (mobile) attacker already has the advantage of choosing the combat location.