Collision Damage.

Reaction score
    I completely agree.. collisions need a major overhaul.. I first noticed this in the config ages again and it said about collision damage and i assumed this would be damage for high speed impacts.. i tried pushing an asteroid around at a very low speed like i usually did before i turned on the collisions.. and my ship tore to pieces O_O

"Wait.. what?! ... dafaq?" *tries again with another ship* "... really? lol, i hope they fix this thing soon.." *turns setting back off*

There just needs to be a few new things.. A minimum collision value so that collisions are only calculated when at X speed or higher.. Even so it needs to calculate the motion of both objects, the speed and mass of each to test whether these two objects will actually damage eachother.. Otherwise, with collisions on, nudging asteroids or ships is impossibru :([DOUBLEPOST=1411160494,1411159896][/DOUBLEPOST]
    ... calculating the mass behind the colliding block, and perhaps some calculations including the armor, too?
    It would be even better if it calculated the shields too, and if the collision exceeded the shields capacity then it'd down the shields and the remaining collision damage will damage the blocks.. This would also make another great feature as some players could create "ramming ships" with a really high shield capacity designed to withstand massive impacts on other ships.. and as the other ship would have less shields then the "ramming ships", it would suffer massive collision damage if it's not fast enough to evade the other ship's hits..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Collision damage was originally a side project. I'm sure it will get updated eventually, but in the mean time we'll get things like galaxies and hyperdrive.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Just increase the threshold, and don't land with big ships.
    I've set the threshold to a trillion (fucking literally) and still receive excessive impact damage at less than 10km/h

plus, OP didn't have a big ship, and even if he did, some big ships should still be able to land.

you're usually cool but get optimized; that post was just silly

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I've set the threshold to a trillion (fucking literally) and still receive excessive impact damage at less than 10km/h

plus, OP didn't have a big ship, and even if he did, some big ships should still be able to land.

you're usually cool but get optimized; that post was just silly
    Maybe you didn't see the date, but I made that post well over a month ago. After discussion in another thread that was an actual worthwhile talk on collision damage, I am well aware that collision damage is currently bugged and that the threshold does nothing.

There's nothing silly about suggesting that a player use a feature that would normally be working perfectly fine.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Maybe you didn't see the date, but I made that post well over a month ago. After discussion in another thread that was an actual worthwhile talk on collision damage, I am well aware that collision damage is currently bugged and that the threshold does nothing.

There's nothing silly about suggesting that a player use a feature that would normally be working perfectly fine.
    okay just checking bae

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    without elasticity, the impulse is equal to mass*speed^2 (in kg)

Given
    10 blocks
    100 kg per block
    10 m/s speed​

Formula
    1kg * 1m/s^2 *10 => 10N
    (10 blocks == 10*100 kg) * (10m/s)^2 *10 => x Newton​

Simplifying to get the result for 1 second
    ( 1000 * 100 *1^2 /1^2 *10 ) Newton
    1 million Newton.​

What probably happens is something like this:
    result for 0.033333 seconds == 1 million Newton * 30^2 == 900 million Newton for just 10 blocks.​

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    without elasticity, the impulse is equal to mass*speed^2 (in kg)
    um, that is the formula for 2*Energy (kinetic), not the impulse. Impulse would be mass*speed.
    1kg * 1m/s^2 *10 => 10N
    Impulse, kinetic energy and force are NOT measured using the same units.
    force = impulseChange / timePassed = accelleration * mass

10 m/s speed
    1kg * 1m/s^2 *10
    That…happened.

But in any case, I also think the extremely short timespans cause the force to "explode".