Collision damage

Reaction score
    Every time there is a collision between two large things Starmade has to do a lot of calculations. It might be less computationally intensive to just have things that collide with too much force behind them explode forcefully. This would stop people from carelessly ramming planets with 250,000 block ships and also open up going to ramming speed as a suicide attack.

Reaction score
    This is an excellent proposal, and makes a lot of sense too.

No longer would people crash land into planets with max speed, or bump eachother all the way out of spawn, because of the damage risk that comes with it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was wondering how long it\'d take before people started talking about this one. Saying people statically lose a number of blocks on impacts with a minimum force would lead to \"equipping a lance\" on your griefing ship, so you\'d about have to make the damage proportional to the mass & velocity.

Reaction score
    Yeah, but once all that is figured out, the feature would make an excellent addition to the game, opening a lot of other possibilities as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, I\'m in support of it on a basic level. Just saying that a feature like this would really need to be playtested and tweaked.

Reaction score
    though i dont think it necessary to make an explosion, while collision damage should exist, if you hit a ship from the front the back shouldnt explode depending on how long the ship is. so instead it should just shred away the blocks that are colliding. for example say you have this massivley long ship. mkay, cool right. gets caught in a gravitational pull, if you hit with the nose of the ship it should just destroy the blocks constantly as its crashing rather than exploding and if it hits th e core then yeah, boom boom time.

Reaction score
    Airbags

You probably don\'t want huge chunks to go missing if you accidentally whing an asteroid, as cool as that might be. Lose a flat percentage of your shields per violent collision to still discourage long grinding collisions but be somewhat forgiving to new pilots. If both colliding objects are shielded then the lower-mass one loses shields much faster so there\'s a windshield vs bug effect and to discourage cheesy tactics.

Unshielded blocks involved in forceful collisions go pow and suffer massive damage. If the unshielded object is a ship, the core also takes just a bit of damage from the force of the collision so no griefing lances.

You could, of course, steamroll tiny noob ships using your colossal and shielded spaceplow - if the smaller and much more maneuverable ship will sit still and let you do that to them. Outside of spawn this will be perfect.

Inside of spawn you want a completely utterly safe parking lot/starting area that is free from spaceplows and where it is absolutely impossible to bump people out of the sector. So, noclip. Everything in that sector just phases through everything else. It would look silly at times but it would be so much more playable.

While I\'m dreaming, I\'d also like a \"cushion field\" block designed to greatly reduce or turn off collision damage for stations and planets it is attached to. Why? Imagine this, only the garage is your faction home and the car is your mothership. We don\'t want that.

Reaction score
    the idea would be interesting, but i see one huge problem with it.
    the game does not like collisions so far.

i have noticed this a few times with a friend, we have both huge ships, and as soon as we are close to eachother, the game starts lagging. collisions are unavoidable then, most of the times we get teleported away.
    combined with collision damage? not so great.

colissions with natural objects or planets are no problem, thats the weird part.
    if shields could absorb a good amount of impact damage, it could be an interesting feature for a future version