Collecting Pirate Loot

Reaction score
    So when killing off pirates, is there a way quicker than manually picking up the loot they drop? It completely spams the player inventory. Is there a way to collect it directly into ship-based storage?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Unfortunately not. It would be a really nice feature though.

Reaction score
    Ah well. Seems like such a waste when they drop so much nice stuff.

Perhaps eventually the salvage beam will be able to pick it up.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I fly into the loot, go into build mode and spam click a slot into a storage chest. As long as the loot is intersecting a block on your ship you will keep picking it up. This works really well on my Maul as it has a large solid salvage array in the front and enough shields that I can usually stop mid combat to clear my inventory.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Here's the work around I do ( pretty much what Sven just said):

A quick method of collecting large amounts of loot fr destroyed NPCs in Starmade:

So, You've just wasted a space pirate, and He's dropped more loot then You can hold in Your personal inventory. You have storage units on Your ship though...

1: Fly into and park in the middle of the loot cloud. Your personal inventory will fill to it's limit.
    2: Open Your inventory. Notice in the upper right corner there is a drop-down menu, with the first option saying "Personal"? This is the inventory unit You are currently on.
    3: Left-click the drop-down arrow. You see all of those options marked "Stash"? Those are the storage units You have on Your ship. Select one.
    4: Pick a slot in Your personal inventory (top window), Hold down left-shift, and left click the item. It will have quick-transferred to the inventory in the lower window (Your ship-mounted storage unit).
    Notice how as soon as one item leaves Your personal inventory, a new one immediately takes it's place? That's because You're floating right in the loot cloud.
    5: continue holding L-shift and spam the hell outta left-click. This will allow You to collect the items in the loot cloud quickly AND store them to one of Your ship's storage units.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i could swear that Schema wanted the filter options on the Storages to auto pick up loot from loot clouds rather than it filling our inventory

Reaction score
    Connecting salvage beams with storages makes them put their output in the storage.

Would be good if we could achieve the same for pickups, by connecting the core to a storage.

Reaction score
    Connecting salvage beams with storages makes them put their output in the storage.

Would be good if we could achieve the same for pickups, by connecting the core to a storage.
    I fully endorse this, along with a loot shooter that takes from storage and propels items out. I must have cargo transfer!

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    How about this: dropped items don't interact with the blocks on a ship(except the core), but instead with a "loot collector" array(controller-/module-system), that can be linked to a plexstorages. Whenever an item comes in contact with a module of an active "loot collector", it is put into the linked plexstorage(or into the pilot's inventory, if no plexstorage is linked).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i ran into the same problem and i hate loosing precious loot, which made me build this ship. As the video shows you just put everything into the first chest to the left when entering the storage area. It then distributes all the stuff into all the other storage modules doing that in Buildmode and you can easily switch between build and flight mode without having to leave the core.

Reaction score
    I guess I should not complain, and it is not a complaint. But I was amazed at how much STUFF comes out of the pirate ships. They are like loot pinatas! I can kill a couple of pirate ships and make 10 million credits easily. Is that just the default setup on my server, or is that the way it is supposed to be?

D

Deleted member 433088

I guess I should not complain, and it is not a complaint. But I was amazed at how much STUFF comes out of the pirate ships. They are like loot pinatas! I can kill a couple of pirate ships and make 10 million credits easily. Is that just the default setup on my server, or is that the way it is supposed to be?
    It is default. The first time I killed a pirate in my unmodified single-player game, I wasn't warned about that and I thought the exact same thing as you: "OMG Loot pinata!"
    It somewhat reminded me of an indie space shooter called Zigfrak, in which enemies were pretty much meant to be loot pinatas. Which gives me another suggestion for this thread: in that game, loot gravitated towards the player. While this doesn't solve the inventory problem, it makes it so you don't have to fly right on top of the loot cloud to collect it.

Reaction score
    Please please add some sort of radar indicator for loot drops and already salvaged pirates. In a typical dogfight I consider myself fortunate if I spot one of the elusive "loot pinatas".

-Runeseer

Reaction score
    In a typical dogfight I consider myself fortunate if I spot one of the elusive "loot pinatas".
    its official, i will from here on out refer to pirates as "Piñatas"

Their loot drop amounts can be configured in the config file. but until their default drops get vastly lowered, they shall be known as Piñatas :D

D

Deleted member 433088

its official, i will from here on out refer to pirates as "Piñatas"

Their loot drop amounts can be configured in the config file. but until their default drops get vastly lowered, they shall be known as Piñatas :D
    Since you're using the proper spelling, I assume you know at least some Spanish... so you can probably agree, if there's only one letter separating "piratas" and "piñatas"... it was meant to be :D

Reaction score
    Since you're using the proper spelling, I assume you know at least some Spanish
    haha ya, iv been living in buenos aires for over ten years now. (long story) at first Spanish was hard, but now im super chillin with it. i do however have to copy and paste the "ñ" as i have an american keyboard :p

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    haha ya, iv been living in buenos aires for over ten years now. (long story) at first Spanish was hard, but now im super chillin with it. i do however have to copy and paste the "ñ" as i have an american keyboard :p
    You could learn the keyboard shortcut (Alt 0241) ñ

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd love it if they also added some sort of device for easier pick-up. Either a pulse-style area effect, or perhaps a wide cone-shaped effect that picks up loot, similar to a salvage beam. Bonus points for a turret that can detect loot and pick it up for you. In a fight with a group of pirates, I hardly have time to focus on loot collection, and by the time the fight is over I have no idea of the location of any of it.

D

Deleted member 433088

You could learn the keyboard shortcut (Alt 0241) ñ
    Just like I learned ALT+0223 for when I feel like typing the only German swearword I know :D

I'd love it if they also added some sort of device for easier pick-up. Either a pulse-style area effect, or perhaps a wide cone-shaped effect that picks up loot, similar to a salvage beam. Bonus points for a turret that can detect loot and pick it up for you. In a fight with a group of pirates, I hardly have time to focus on loot collection, and by the time the fight is over I have no idea of the location of any of it.
    So basically a space vacuum? Hey, that might work. Not sure how hard it'd be to put that in the code, but we can say it works through magnetism. Or gravitons. Or something.
    It might lead to a cloaked passerby stealing your lootz, though... though I imagine that's already possible with the current system anyway. Kinda reminds me of EVE's salvage guns in a way.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So basically a space vacuum? Hey, that might work. Not sure how hard it'd be to put that in the code, but we can say it works through magnetism. Or gravitons. Or something.
    It might lead to a cloaked passerby stealing your lootz, though... though I imagine that's already possible with the current system anyway. Kinda reminds me of EVE's salvage guns in a way.
    Why not just use the existing salvage beam system? Maybe with the added functionality that if anything impacts a salvage block, it is automatically grabbed without needing to activate a beam.