Cockpits-Ship Cores, Which should we really be flying the ship from?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    OK, I know this may seem like a blind topic but if you will bear with me my point will be made quite clear. this is something that has been bugging me since I first played the game.

I understand why the game designed code dictates that we are to controll the ship by entering the core, this is because the NPC code for the game also dictates that the player must be the target for attack. it must dissable your ship somehow the core is logically the key to doing just that, and when the goal is to kill you that makes total sense.

but this may not the best way to handle this particular issue. because if you really start to consider what the currently only NPC enemy types actually are, it seems really stupid. ok lets think about this for a moment. pirates in this universe or any other are not stupid. they know that if they destroy the ship thier quarry is lost with it. they arent trying to kill you, they are trying to rob you! and when a NON lethal weapon type such as the energy drain exists this seems like a waste of a perfectly good mechenic. even in the ancient sailing days the pirates knew that if they killed you, you then couldnt bring them more damn loot next week. so there is the problem, what are the pirates in this gme really after if they destroy your core the ship explodes, so even if all they really wanted was your ship, then why destroy it.

I think this problem is two fold and simply requires some important troublesolving. basically one thing that is obvious is that the cockpit needs to be for what its name implies, actually flying the damn ship. I know this will take a bit of recoding so that the computer still targets the core and not the block controlled by the player. but this seems dooable, compared to the stupidity of what we have now.

If the core is that important to the ships function then it needs to be burrieed and hidden inside my hull. this way getting to it really is a challenge even for me when fighting NPC controlled ships. i think another solution to this other problem is fixable by making the structure panel a little more usefull. as it is you can only use it when inside of a core block anyway. so why not instead of having it just controll the ship be simply attached to this UI and open it upon use. basically you would go to the core to controll the things in ship, and then you would actually have to go to the cockpit to fly it instead of the core.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    ...what?

I\'m not quite sure what you are getting at here, you changed topics at least 4 times.

I need to start somewhere, so I\'ll start with pirates. Yes, it is true, pirates of old didn\'t go around sinking all the ships they came into combat with. But this isn\'t the old times, and I think you are taking the name \"pirate\" a little too seriously. If it bothers you that much, think of them as \"raiders\".

Next up, cores. It seems pretty straightforward to me; the core is just that, the core. Its the center of your ship, and if you flaunt it around on the outside, the only one at fault is you.

You also seem to take the word \"cockpit\" too seriously. Again, if it bothers you too much, call it a camera.

Not sure what the point of all this was, hope I cleared some things up for you.

Regards.

Reaction score
    I think what he was getting at is that we have cockpits but as you just said they function more like cameras on the ship and I think what he wants is a reason to actually protect the cockpit other than being midly annoyed having to switch to a new one when its gets destroyed, of course you could always destroy/disable the ship by destroying the core but why would you if you could kill the pilot on the cockpit. I for one am kind of annoyed that I dont fly the ship from the cockpit and that can I just put as many of those camera\'s on the ship anywhere I want and not have any acess to them for me it almost defeats the purpose of having glass eniterly, why have glass when sd cockpits can look right through hull to begin with. I am getting off topic.

the point for me is I would like to pilot the ship from the cockpit and suffer the consquences when it gets destroyed as appossed to needing only to have only one part that needs to be super well armored but two, where the core is and where the cockpit is but the system is fine the way it is and I would rather not have to deal with a million bugs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    im guessing you read the subject line ans said fuck the rest ill just guess your asking a stupid question.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You really don\'t understand the basic concept, and you\'re trying to create an idea over it.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Quite obviously not, I quoted several points you tried to make.

Reaction score
    Ships do not have cockpits, fighters do.

Ships have bridges, and the bridge is where you usually look out from and command the ship from, and can even control the ship from the bridge maybe. However any good combat ship (not fighter) should be controllable from engineering and maybe even another place as well. Basically though, destroying a cockpit block should not kill you when flying.

The large ships we have should really have a crew, so just pretend that you\'re not piloting it by yourself I guess. I represent the cockpit block as battle stations on my ships.

The problem is that on an actual ship, the person in charge is generally well protected. If the bridge comes under attack, command leaves the bridge and the ship is controlled from more protected decks. I think the core represents this well - we just need to make it so where that the core is not magically targeted.

Reaction score
    Well, given spacefaring technology I don\'t find it unbelievable to have the cockpit block see through hull.

I don\'t think glass should be necessary due to sensor technology. If anything the only glass you have on the ship should be something to look out of just in case you need to, or maybe just on the bridge so you can have a full view of things with your own eyes. And even then it should be hulled up around it and layers thick and nearly impossible to hit unless you\'re almost perpendicular.