Cockpits for Weapon PCs

Reaction score
    it would be AMAZING if a cockpit block could be linked to a weapon pc, instead of the weapon pc using the current cockpit of the ship-core.
    this way you could put in side/backwards/up/down facing weapon blocks for friends to use and they could actually see from a optimal veiwpoint, instead of being required to see through the pilots veiwpoint.

Reaction score
    I would think it would be great to have cockpits for all enterable blocks (except build block, obviously)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it would be good if any of a ships turrets could be entered via the host ship\'s core, weapon PCs, or cockpits. Currently it seems that turrets can only be controlled by actually accessing their individual cores, which makes multiplayer control of a cap ship problematic.
    If turrets could be entered/controlled remotely and destruction of the controlled turret not resulting in the death of the person manning it, I think it would go a long way towards making multiplayer controlled cap ships viable and fun.
    Also, when exiting a turret that was previously AI controlled, it would be nice if the AI would resume control so the main pilot wouldn\'t need to stop piloting/shooting just to check on and re-enable a bunch of Bobbys.

Reaction score
    what could be done is attaching certain weapons to different computers. Then setting a cockpit next to the weapon, which would be linked to that weapons computer.

Assuming having multiple computers will seperate control of weapons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I second Marduk\'s suggestion.

To Achoo92, I think you\'re onto something. I think that it would make a lot of sense if you could put down a cockpit, then attach a weapons computer to it, then attach a set of weapons to that computer and have them fire only from that cockpit if someone is in it.

Reaction score
    ... that\'s what I was asking for, it already works like that palarious, except you can\'t link a cockpit to a weapon PC yet. You can link a computer to a weapon group and only fire from entering the computer, if you don\'t link the computer to the core, but the perspective defaults to the core currently active cockpit :(

Reaction score
    So what we are all after is a restructuring of the What-connects-to-what.
    How I would like it:
    Arroy Keys controll Switches
    *Core (Main Controll Panel with Power Regen/Shield Regen whatsoever): Switch Cockpits
    - Power
    - Shield Disperser
    -- Power
    - Cloaker/Jammer
    - *Cockpit (of any Type, maybe even a Thrust Computer): Switch Viewports
    -- Power
    -- *Viewport (if entered view only)
    -- *Computer (any Weapon or Thrust(if added, else go to Core)) (uses viewport of cockpit)
    ---Power
    * marks Enterable Components
    Power can be used by the Components directly connected and it will also be transferred down the Line
    eg:
    Core
    - Power
    - Cockpit
    -- Weapons Computer
    Here the Weapons computer will be able to use the Power (Power => Core -> Cockpit -> Weapons Computer)
    -> marks Connection up (e.g in the above example it would be Core -> Cockpit)
    => marks Connection down (e.g. Cockpit => Core)
    Power will only traverse ONE step down.

Some more information about the subcomponent system
    Coding Freak explanation: Core extends Cockpit extends Viewport
    Casual explanation: Every Core also serves as a Cockpit and every Cockpit is also a viewport. (e.g. Core only ships can be built the same way as they are now).
    What also would be cool is if a Turret Docking Unit would serve as a cockpit (e.g. use the other ships components as a cockpit as the core of that said ship would be also a Cockpit in code)
    This will add a better Co-op able ship design possibility (and make space for more complex Motherships with whole crews, which members will all be important).

Reaction score
    Sorry for the bump , but i found a bug for make this work :P

Once you have to have A Weapon PC for each camera you want

place your camera where you want

Enter the core , Go to the camera Wiew , exit the core , go to Weapon PC >>> You have the Camera wiew with Weapon PC (epic bug :P !!)

Reaction score
    Yay, was looking for a post like this.

+1

My \"reduced\" variant of this idea:

Cockpit connected to ship core: Ship-Cockpit, only accessible from the core (R/L arrow keys)

Cockpit connected to Weapons-Computer: Weapons viewport, only accessible when directly entering the computer (standard view, restrict to one cockpit per computer)

Cockpit not connected: Cockpit can be entered as an \"observer station\" for just looking into space, not accessible through either ship core, turrets or weapon stations.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    (Yeah, I have to add it :D)

Seats & viewports:

• Your core
    • Cockpid
    • Computers (weapon, salvage, etc)

The core is only responsible for flight control. You can make any seat master of the core (which grants you flight control as long as nobody is controlling the core itself)

Cockpids can be accessed from everywhere. Even more than one player can use them as viewport. If one gets destroyed, your viewport is moved to the closest other cockpid facing in the same direction.

But only one player can use them as seat.

You can link any computer/core to your core or an AI module - which takes control over it if the computer has no player.

The weapon / flight control will become greyed out / not-useable (for you) if some player takes control over the computer/core and you are in the next higher hierachical level.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    why not just have it so you can link cockpits to specific blocks, so that you can have a whole crew dealing with different functions and they can give a sitrep on larger ships. Sort of like how you link weapons up to the weapons computer, but you can link the cockpit to whatever block you want, and have the core be able to view ALL cockpits.