cockpit fixing mod

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it would be nice if there was a mod sub forum, but I have yet to see one.

my friend is dead set on the idea that the way the fly, build, and walking modes are set, is wrong. so I came up with an idea to make a bridge to shut him up. going to need some help on this due to me never moding this game, and the only game I have modded was morrowind. (that was a fun game to oops :P )

1. I am thinking that there should be seats that let you access the control panels set near it. each seat will be able to hold one player, showing there player sitting in the seat as if it were a human.

2. the controls should be able to view camera feeds from the cockpit blocks set around the ship as you like, yet still be able to see the area around the console as well. so it still looks like you are sitting there.

3. there should be a linking block to the turrets so as you can pilot them from inside the ship, sitting at one of the console bays.

4. the "rc" blocks should require the ai blocks on the same ship, and let you pilot the ai fighters you may have on the ship. so you can send out a cloud of them, and bring them back at will.

5. each console should have a different use, that only that console type can do. a single block that does it all will make most of this a moot point.

Any help you can give, would be appreciated. Anything you think may help along this path, would also be of aid. Even if you are wrong, we may learn other things be trying it, or even just thinking about it. Going to need a few people to help with the midding to, if you are up to it. If we are lucky, the main devs will pick it up and add it into the game formally for us. That way others like my friend will be able to enjoy the game, while the rest of us just pick and choose what we like about this feature :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would be great for a crew to have access to the defensive points from within the ship. It just makes sense after all.

I think using a single computer-turret link is the easiest and fairest way. Destroying the turret renders the computer useless, and if by any means the computer was destroyed before the turret, render the turret innoperable.

Imagine walking in a deck with many compartents each for their own turrets, allowing a full crew to do more than just sit around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"my friend is dead set on the idea that the way the fly, build, and walking modes are set, is wrong. so I came up with an idea to make a bridge to shut him up.\" - Zutai

Favorite line.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    your just mad that it was directed at you :P but it gets the point across, while i move through it and beyond into what the whole of it can be. this can be far more then just shutting you up to get you to play the game. this can be able making it more real to how the system should be in true space games.

(this does give you a few free jabs at me :P use em well)

Reaction score
    i think that this game is a multiplayer experience at heart.

how about this, if ppl want to have crews, make it on these uber dreadnaghts ppl schlep around in.

it its like over 15,000 mass it has to have a player on each system, and a cockpit eye assigned for each

and each player gets control of a subsystem:

1 guy mans the main anti matter gun

we could have a chick controlling the turret\'s fire

one dude forusucint on getting missiles locks

and an engineer that has too be waaaay at the back of the ship, repairing blocks in build-mode like interface, and increasing/descreasing power to certain systems.

GOOD LAWD ITS STAR TREK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the \"guy in the way back\" would be able to just use the repair turrets to aim at key things, to make sure he doesnt need to head out and fix them by hand. there is so much you could do with this kind of thing. switching between the camra feeds of the cockpit blocks that can be placed for anything you may want to see around the ship. rear view, docking view, front view, turret views, etc.

Reaction score
    maybe just hull blocks, but i think tht he should have to hop thru the ship to repair like internal systems

this game could be made alot more complex. they should also hopefully balance the game so pvp is more fun for ppl

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the current build system is great for building ships fast. but as far as the crew repairing the ship, they should be able to choose how they go about this. how real do they want to be playing it? do they want to go outside mid battle and get shot while placing blocks, or do they want to place brocks in build mode so they are safe inside? we already have both options in the game. i am only talking about adding the consoles to aid in making the game better, noy merely played better. along the lines i am talking about, the repair turrets would work well enough for in battle. if they work with other ships that also have repair turrets, they can survive for longer due to the team work of the repair tech\'s. as mp should be. making this an rpg game, due to the teamwork aplied.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There could even be display panel blocks that work like in IC2 mod in Minecraft. Sort of. You place them next to each other to make the diplay that they are supposed to be showing bigger. This way you can have huge rooms full of displays and a large array of control panels at your fingertips so you can pretend to be some sort of super nerdy engineer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    or you could have a huge screen in the front of your bridge like in star treck :P make it so you know everyone can see the same thing, as well as there own single block sceens that shows what they need to see.

Reaction score
    I think real mods are going to be a little out of the question until the code is unobfuscated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not sure it\'s a good idea to have players see different things. Oh never mind I thought you were talking about like 2 people look at the same screen and they each see different things. Lol, I get you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    along with the added control of the ship, each person could move along more of an rpg styled game play. those who are good with piloting, would end up getting better at it, and making the ship better in that aspect. engineers, would get better at fixing the ship in flight and when stopped, and make the ship better in that aspect. gunner, would get better due to how much they shoot down and time the weapons they can use, and make the ship better along those lines. and so on. with these added features, the game could become a whole new thing. those who master this type of system, will be a challenge for those of us who still use single player systems for flying our builds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If some one is adept at flying then sure they should be a pilot, but if their skill can be \"matched\" by a noob who has just been playing for a long time and sucks at driving but the rpg element helps them out that would suck.

But it could be cool for like weapons and stuff. But never make it OP cause you do not want worse players who have been at it for awhile to beat naturally good players because of that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    due to the skills being learned via the time and skills one puts into the task at hand having effects on the user, more then the game, i dont think that would be much of an issue. i meant the skills of the player, not the skills the player is given by the game. i dont know how much a game can help you fly a ship yet. thwere would be way too much for the game to handle at this time. the skills of the player would be the main factors at hand. the scills they bring from racing games, from flying sim\'s, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the hope more is once the mod is made, the dev\'s will see it and like it to the point of stealing it and adding it into the game. thatway the mods will be made better by the people who can accualy do something with it at this stage

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    my biggest issue with pvp is the lag right now. once i get a better pc, i am sure that my huge ships will be alto more useful. i have taken 10 min of real time turning before... glad i didnt care about the angle i was looking \"up\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the goal is to make the rp\'ers have something to do on the ships. manning turrets, weapons, repairs, piloting, etc. with this type of system, huge ships will not be huge targets for small ships. each turret can be used to target foes as needed, and not have to worry about issues with the ai. the ai only fire so far, dont aim as well, and often times end up shooting out into space without reason. so glad i dont need to change the mag all the time... this mod could change how the game is played on the servers that use it. it will come down to those of us who like to play alone, being outgunned by these huge ships that have humans manning the turrets, and weapons, rather then just one man, and a ton of ai\'s.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Whenever you think of Sci Fi in space, what happens on the interior of the ship is where much of the story tension and dramatic moments come from. Dark hallways with danger lurking in \'Alien\'. The ships bridge, with Kirk barking orders and Scotty crawling through jeffries tubes depretely trying to keep the shields up. The crew of Serenity gathered in the mess hall, arguing out a solution to the current crisis.

Some of this doesn\'t translate directly to the interactive medium, but I think the guiding principle is that in a sandbox space game, there needs to be a reason for ship interiors that multiple people can interact with. They make the game richer, and give ship designs more reason and importance.