Cluster Server Support

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    With a game as awesome as this, could we look at a method of hosting this on cluster servers? I'm looking to set up a Raspberry pi Cluster server and to not put such an amazing game on it would be a shame.

so far, the amount of logic put into this game is incredible.

perhaps the client could have the ability to connect to other servers, and then mirror their settings? (or is that already a thing?)

please and thank you for your time- Xiel

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could have one or more galaxies per server, simulating a cluster of different galaxies. All of the servers in one cluster would likely have to share their configs though -i.e. one master server determines the configs for all the rest.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could have one or more galaxies per server, simulating a cluster of different galaxies. All of the servers in one cluster would likely have to share their configs though -i.e. one master server determines the configs for all the rest.
    A server cluster would look like a single, modular computer to the game, so there would definitely be only one single config for cluster gaming. Cluster computing would have a huge benefit. You could add entire CPU and GPU cores (separate computers in the cluster) as easily as you can add a stick of RAM to a single gaming computer now.

On the other hand, simulating different galaxies on different servers with a core controller server would be neat too. But it may require "instanced" galaxies to make semi-smooth transition from one galaxy (server) to the next. Not terrible when the transition wall is out in deep space, between galaxies.

Separate servers would need to share macro-scale "snapshots" of their galaxy sim with neighboring galaxy servers, to accommodate long-distance scans. That's why I'd prefer server-cluster computing. Server-cluster computing seems like less overhead to me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As for the interface, I would find it useful if we could have the master server either...
    A.) visibly show the status' of the other machines connected

or B.) push the entire GUI to a webpage which can be viewed on the network or port forwarded.

or C.) Both

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I picked up a few Rasp Pi's, a small switch, some cat 6 cabling, and a Briliant friend. I'll get back to you guys with notes of my success or failure.