Recognized Cloud Based Templates and Blueprints

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Simple idea, possibly hard to implement due to server storage requirements.

Create an in-game, cloud-based service for players to upload and download ship blueprints, space station blueprints, and templates to or from. This should be accessible directly from the game, so a player could go to the catalog tab and have an option to search the online catalog or upload blueprints to the online catalog.

Perhaps make an option in the config file for server admins to disable this feature if they so desire.

This may need to be implemented later in development as the costs of cloud storage would definitely be high, but this feature is something I've always felt should be in the game.

EDIT: If possible, include the possibility of downloading or uploading custom faction NPC, ship, station, and fleet settings.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    great idea,not sure if its possible to integrate it directly into the game itself,but in the future ..once starmade gets workshop,with one click you will be able to get all the ships/skins/stations/templates etc.

Reaction score
    great idea,not sure if its possible to integrate it directly into the game itself,but in the future ..once starmade gets workshop,with one click you will be able to get all the ships/skins/stations/templates etc.
    I'm sure it would be possible. The question would be how feasible it would be to do, and If they plan to implement the steam workshop I really wonder how they intend to do blueprints. Would you subscribe and then they would be available on the client? I wonder how that would work for servers.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I'm sure it would be possible. The question would be how feasible it would be to do, and If they plan to implement the steam workshop I really wonder how they intend to do blueprints. Would you subscribe and then they would be available on the client? I wonder how that would work for servers.
    Agreed,I cant imagine it would be to difficult considering some crazy Civ5 and Skyrim mods are so easy to instal with 1 click.
    We already have only 2 steps to do
    1.download the ship
    2.find and import the file using the launcher.

just needs a simple automation :)

but for the servers,i would imagine it will be same as now,depends on the server owners and configs

Reactions: jgames666

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Agree, but how would you solve downloads stored on third-party sites in various compression formats?

I think this requires some more effort.
    This system should not be hardwired to only support community content. I rather like it to be similar to abos on lists (look at YouTube - liked, favourites, share a list/vid from another via own lists).

Reaction score
    Agree, but how would you solve downloads stored on third-party sites in various compression formats?

I think this requires some more effort.
    This system should not be hardwired to only support community content. I rather like it to be similar to abos on lists (look at YouTube - liked, favourites, share a list/vid from another via own lists).
    I do tend to agree this might be difficult, but it also allows players the right to not give out their blueprints to just anyone, so if someone want to share their blueprints they simply upload them in game. I don't know that there would be a way to pull in every design out there that people have shared third party, so just allow people who want to share that ability.

More or less this would just be to eliminate the need to go online and upload and download manually. Just make it a part of the game. Also, perhaps to keep people from stealing credit from others, make a plagiarism detector that can detect when a ship is too similar to another ship or stolen. Ships can also be reported stolen and then the council will have to determine the truth in some way. (Not sure exactly how this can be done. I often wonder how many designs get stolen now, but are never reported.)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I definitely agree that it would be nice. Hell, it could simply be linked to the community content section! That's something I could definitely see happening with the new launcher.

Reaction score
    I definitely agree that it would be nice. Hell, it could simply be linked to the community content section! That's something I could definitely see happening with the new launcher.
    I'd love to see it come soon in that form, but even if it has to wait until later, I think this feature should be in the game at some point.

Reaction score
    Expand this idea to include stations and custom NPC factions and I'm on board.
    How would factions be added to this? I guess if you have a whole faction set up with ships/Stations/NPCs ect. Want to be able to access that through the cloud? This might be a neat feature for server implementation, but not sure what you mean if you're talking regular game play. I was including stations in this idea already. Just not really sure how the custom factions would work if you don't mind explaining that a bit. Are you going to try to download a whole faction? :eek: Totally confused here...

Reaction score
    I remember custom factions being mentioned a while ago as a planned feature. The exact nature of how they would (or hopefully will) work I don't really know, but ideally you'd have a folder for their ships, stations etc, then set a few parameters for their fleets, how they behave (ie hostile, miners etc) and download the whole thing. Just speculation based on some very old comments though.

Reaction score
    I remember custom factions being mentioned a while ago as a planned feature. The exact nature of how they would (or hopefully will) work I don't really know, but ideally you'd have a folder for their ships, stations etc, then set a few parameters for their fleets, how they behave (ie hostile, miners etc) and download the whole thing. Just speculation based on some very old comments though.
    If this is the case then a faction tab perhaps could be set up on the catalog and just bring in the whole faction folder. I don't know if it could work that way, but I like the idea and would definitely include it. Added the idea to the OP.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Th easiest place to accomplish this would be with the steam workshop, as they already have the necessary instructive to accommodate directly downloading and uploading a ton of these types of files. The game does not currently recognize changes to the folders while you are playing the game and so this will need to happen for this to be viable. I suspect at the minimum you will be required to do this uploading and downloading from the start menu before you spawn although anything it on the table currently.