CLOSED* CONTEST: Default Stations Submission

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    So this is what I've got so far. I don't think I'll be able to finish the entire station in time, as I have school and can only work on weekends, but I think I'm quite happy with these results so far.
    Skylord, I took detailing inspiration from several of your builds, hope you don't mind :D
    i dont mind :) ,this is very cool looking,i hope you finish this on time

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can't let you have all the fun Skylord. So here is one of my current work in progress entries.

Lost 3.5 hours of progress today thanks to a cache issue; thanks to Phant0m for helping me resurrect her. <3

P.S. Your station makes me cry tears of joy.
    Well, it's decided. Dalmont entered the challenge, we already have the No.1. I always loved the looks of your designs dude (even though your ships have systems inadequate for PvP or pimped pirates of their own weight class. No offense.)

Reaction score
    Has there been any consideration as to whether or not there could possibly be more than one station for each faction? For instance, if the Neutral station is supposed to look abandoned and wrecked, then it would get pretty boring pretty quickly to find the exact same station with the exact same damage every time. And for the pirate stations, having 3 or 4 different types of variants representing outposts, fortresses, depots and such could help to revitalize the exploration aspect of the game.

Reaction score
    Has there been any consideration as to whether or not there could possibly be more than one station for each faction? For instance, if the Neutral station is supposed to look abandoned and wrecked, then it would get pretty boring pretty quickly to find the exact same station with the exact same damage every time. And for the pirate stations, having 3 or 4 different types of variants representing outposts, fortresses, depots and such could help to revitalize the exploration aspect of the game.
    I suppose that's why the second paragraph in the OP starts with the sentence "The best 5 stations from each category will be put into the new faction folders as default station spawns.". :p

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    are rules invisible? am I unicorn? is there life after yholes? find out on the first page of this thread,jeez

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Repair depot updated, TY again psteiner for your useful review, it has allowed me to hopefully fix the logic glitches.

I'm trying to think of a "universal" symbol for repair to slap on this thing somewhere.
    So far I've though of the army corps of engineers twin turret castle, a wrench, a hammer...
    Any ideas guys?

http://starmadedock.net/content/derelict-repair-depot.867/updates
    *****Flavor*****
    An automated astrotechnition array lies abandoned in space. There is a small dock, obviously for service personnel. Whoever built it, the fine coating of dust tells of it's age.

Surprisingly, your sensors indicate it is still (mostly) functional.
    *****Flavor*****

v 0.6 stats:
    -Timer logic now kick-starts when AOE tripped (ty psteiner for making me realize timer states don't auto-start)
    -power system now in line with requirements (again, ty psteiner)
    -logic now has labels via display blocks
    -functional area effect logic triggered astrotecnobeam, with auto shut-down.
    -visual timer indicators
    -Fly into the arch, start getting healed.
    -improved shielding
    -partially finished interior
    -Plaque with epic personal slogan:
    "Square peg? Round hole? Bigger hammer."

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    not sure if I am a fan of this circle-part.
    OFC it looks great, but when I imagine repair beam going through the top+bottom parts ....

Also the connection between both cylinders left and the main part looks a bit too weak for my opinion horizontally in z axis. I would like if it looks as thick as the right C-shape

But everything else is great +1 like :)

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    not sure if I am a fan of this circle-part.
    OFC it looks great, but when I imagine repair beam going through the top+bottom parts ....
    Does this allay your fears? I tried to build in in scale so that while the beams DO go a little past-center in all directions, they also don't go past the other arch.

Also the connection between both cylinders left and the main part looks a bit too weak for my opinion horizontally in z axis. I would like if it looks as thick as the right C-shape

But everything else is great +1 like :)
    You have a very valid point, i will address this as the the build progresses. If you take the time to download the file and "/load mySavedStation myIngameStationName" in your sandbox mode, I'd love to hear how it works for you from a vanilla spawn.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can already see issues from this picture.

1. it has a smaller repair area in the centre where ships usually are the thickest - you have to properly align bigger ships and fly through many times.
    2. it repairs only from 3 angles.
    3. it won't repair some parts of a ship where a slice/disc in XY axis looks like this:
    ____
    |
    |___|​

Will it repair pierce-damage beneath the outer layer?

The easiest way to fix #1 and #3 is to make the C-shape thicker in x/y direction, so that there is only area covered by 3 angles. Small ships which fit through usually don't have shapes like in #3
    • Pro you could make a C inside your outer -beam emitting and increase the range of middle beams relative to top<->bot ones.
    • Contra: it could screw up the look&feel of your design and only allow for a bit smaller ships

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I can already see issues from this picture.

1. it has a smaller repair area in the centre where ships usually are the thickest - you have to properly align bigger ships and fly through many times.
    2. it repairs only from 3 angles.
    3. it won't repair some parts of a ship where a slice/disc in XY axis looks like this:
    ____
    |
    |___|​

Will it repair pierce-damage beneath the outer layer?

The easiest way to fix #1 and #3 is to make the C-shape thicker in x/y direction, so that there is only area covered by 3 angles. Small ships which fit through usually don't have shapes like in #3
    • Pro you could make a C inside your outer -beam emitting and increase the range of middle beams relative to top<->bot ones.
    • Contra: it could screw up the look&feel of your design and only allow for a bit smaller ships
    1. ??? not sure I catch your meaning here.
    2. That was a design consideration I am still arguing with myself over. The "open" part of the C is meant so that people can fly long/wider ships through at odd angles to reach the hard-to-scratch areas(I think that's what you're getting at with #3?).
    Sadly, astrotechno can NOT be supported by other systems. it is what it is. :)
    The main use I see for this type of station (besides ooh I can salvage blocks!) is to clean up the damage you take flying close to a star.

***EDIT***
    I've noticed my display blocks seem to "forget" their content whenever I spawn a new copy. Is this a glitch that needs fixing or am I save/spawning incorrectly?

Last edited:

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm using hardened hull as I usually do - will that be a problem??

I mean, it IS a pirate base :)

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I've noticed my display blocks seem to "forget" their content whenever I spawn a new copy. Is this a glitch that needs fixing or am I save/spawning incorrectly?
    That is a known thing, Display blocks wont be able to save their contents till the next update iirc.
    Was kinda wondering how that was being dealt with o -o

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I'm using hardened hull as I usually do - will that be a problem??

I mean, it IS a pirate base :)
    that will be a problem ,you can use small amounts,100-150 ,but not entire station,as the hardened hull is expensive

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    that will be a problem ,you can use small amounts,100-150 ,but not entire station,as the hardened hull is expensive
    I guess I'll switch over then. I only made the core room area and a little hallway out of HH, so I guess that should be ok.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. ??? not sure I catch your meaning here.
    to #1: never-mind
    Some logic fail on my side got confused with the missing forth side.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    These all look very splendid, competition will be hard, but with a total of 15 potential winners I do not think there will be a lack of worthies for the in-game stations.

Reaction score

Now my question is: Should I keep the Hanger 2 sided (well top bottom but what ever), or do I leave just the bottom landing pads.

Also all pads have/will have logic and are, Red when unoccupied, or White when occupied.

Complete Album: http://imgur.com/a/dS6Py

Reactions: Dalmont

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess it would look better with a separator.

At least at the sides, about 1|2 /10 to the mid.

Status
    Not open for further replies.