Cloaking toggle!

Reaction score
    Hey! After talking for a bit in a few of the chats I came accross the question of this.

"Since cloaking is a toggle, Does it stay toggled when you exit your ship/Exist the server"

As far as I've seen it's a no, I'd personally love this feature, You leave your ship cloaked and they stay cloaked.

Personally this would allow somone like me to do something like this. Find a planet on a server, dig a few blocks in, Line my ship up against the planet, Hook my ship into the planet via building around a 'anchor point' then turning the cloak on and logging out, Having peace of mind my ship would be some what safe.

Leave feedback/how it could be done better or why its a bad idea! thanks!

Reaction score
    I think it would be more effective and simple to just have a ship despawn with you if you\'re in it when you log out.

Reaction score
    That would allow people to death log. Log out quickly while under attack :c

Reaction score
    I am fairly against having cloaking toggle for multiple reasons. First because it makes it too easy to troll ships by shooting while cloaked, which even if made doable would be extremely hard due to the exorbiant power draw from weapons AND cloaking. Along with that, it would be possible to build invisible disintegator missle ships(often ai controlled) that blow up half your ship and cannot be countered by anything other than encasing your ship in a 10+ block thick layer of asteroid material to be used as ablative armor.

Here\'s an alternate idea, if we have to have cloaking be toggled, an active cloak should disable all other systems that can do damage, or just shut down when something else is used and stay offline 10 seconds after so it at least has some balance. Also cloakers should be coded to simply not activate on a ship with explosives on it so people cant park little invisible mines everywhere.

Until

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this would be great to be able to leave cloaking on while leaving the ship but the cloaking should be less efficient while firing so people could see where they are being fired from and attack back. Also, this solves the problem of turrets firing enemies while being cloaked and while nobody controls it being undetectable. What could be possible is having a remote that you can link to multiple oc cloakers to trigger the cloaking while out of the ship so you can turn it off remotely and easily find your ship back because it may be hard to find back a ship being cloaked and I would not like to loose my ship this way.

Hope this helped, desapoint

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This could very well work. Another way to do this would be allowing interaction with the cloak block while in astronaut mode. Activates the cloak block, and all connected blocks. They would still drain energy as usual, and go offline when they run out. This would also allow for the cloaking of large non-ship structures (Space stations, asteroids, PLANETS), which I think would be very cool.

Shadowhunter: Yes, that seems like a generally good plan. Really, if you\'re worried about people putting invisible mines everywhere, you could probably stop worrying. That would be a ship core for every mine you place, a rediculously expensive proposition when done on a large scale, and limited by the availability of Ship Cores (not even thinking about the cloaking blocks). I don\'t feel that explosive blocks on a ship would be all that much of a problem. (I haven\' tried this yet, but preparing for a counter argument: If, in the current version, the ship core does not take damage from explosive blocks attached to it, then it should)

But yes, definitely disable weapons systems while cloaked. I would dissagree with the \"firing drops cloak for 10 seconds\" because of the obnoxious \"Heh, I\'m invisible, and I just fired missiles point blank at your hull. You can see me now so it\'s not overpowered\" (Tribes Ascend suffered from this). Instead, I suggest that the cloak must be dropped before firing, and weapons do not come online for 3-5 seconds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about this.. if cloaking is toggled, then when it is activated it should stay active for say, 40 seconds? and you are unable to use weapons while cloaked because this disables the cloak, after that 40 seconds(or de-activation by using a weapon) there is a cooldown(120 seconds?) for the cloaker to re-activate.. this works well in many ways.. for example:

Lets say you were under attack and you activated your cloak to get out of there, you have 40 seconds to do so until your cloak de-activates..

Or if you were about to stealth attack someone or some pirates, you activate your cloak to get close but in order to fire you must deactivate your cloak.. this gives time for your enemy to retaliate but you still have the advantage by the element of surprise, plus you cannot reactivate after you strike because of the cooldown, this prevents OPing and trolls

As for logging off and staying cloaked, you could have a system where you can log off being cloaked and the cloak timer freezes until you log on, lets say you were on a planet and your cloak had 10 seconds left and you logged off, you cloak timer will start from that point and count down from 10 until 0 then deactivate, leaving your ship nice and secure from attack while not online :D but still preventing logging off and back in while cloaked and still be cloaked for longer, it instead will continue from where you left off so it is balanced :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    so far i started to read these comments and came across the usual trolls who think they knoe EXACTLY what your talking about even when theyre egaggerating to much.. maby if these dickheads read the idea theyd shut the fuck up....... i LOVE this idea by the way as cloaking a ship indefinitly is already a pain in the ass.... and o counter a fyew trolls i read....t he cloaker would be OUT OF SHIP remote activation.. so no player flying it fireing missles... and we all know ANY AT AL interaction with an ai contolled ship results in the ai shutting off.... AIs also cant seem to use missles very well and cannot use cloaks so i dont see the problem.... also invisi mines are an EPIC idea that cannot be done cus AIs cant use cloak and you cant cloak your ship when your not inside it.... i love this idea cus i loved the idea in the moovie megamind... which is sonthing hatle happen allot if we allow this idea and would be friggin hilariouse.

Reaction score
    Play the game maybe... Cloak is already a toggle, and it already disables itself when firing weapons.

This suggestion is about being able to leave cloak on after exiting the ship.

Reaction score
    I would love permacloaked desintegratorminefields *_* right now u can just destroy them easily.
    But with this feature there should be a counter mechanic for cloaking (and even jamming).

I already saw someone suggesting sensorblocks which highlights the system blocks like shields and generators of ships in a radius depending on the amount of sensorblocks.
    They could also reveal cloaking and jamming in a smaller radius.

Reaction score
    Has nobody stopped to think about how ridiculously hard it would be to get back into your ship core when the ship is invisible and you don\'t have a radar icon for the core anymore?

Reaction score
    Such ship is not to be left when in empty space... You need a certain rememberable location on planet or station. I guess there could also be a requirement that the ship must be docked to remain cloaked.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Firstly, disclaimer than I am heartily opposed to the idea of permacloak in any form. I think that cloaking and jamming need to be rebalanced such that they are usable on more ships, but always drain energy.

But if a ship MUST be cloaked while you are not it, then you would have to think about it a little harder. Obviously you don\'t want it actually cloaked, since it would be invisible. Bit of a \"what was I thinking, moment?\". So that means that while you are not in it it MUST be visible! Therefor, permacloak on a ship after exiting is a bad idea.

Instead, you would want your ship to be permajammed, that way it wouldn\'t show up as a blip to other ships. That, to be perfectly honest, is the most useful form of stealth in starmade. Visually finding a ship is difficult as it is, that\'s why people always look for blips.