Client will crash 80% of the time since last update.

Reaction score
    My client keeps crashing approx 80 to 90 percent of the time I try to log into my favourite server. This started after the most recent update. Up till now, barring an issue with a pre-v0.16 entity, it was very, very stable.

That's saying something, since I've played this since December 2013.

Is there a way for me to run the client in a super-debug mode? Or maybe an intermediate to advanced "debugging StarMade" thread somewhere?

I hate posting bugs on the Bug-Tracker because it either goes away with the next update, or turns out to be a server-side compatibility issue. This makes posting bugs sort of pointless, since I don't have a reasonably quick way to tell if what I'm seeing is even worth posting.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Is it also crashing in Singleplayer ?
    Try to reset the client cache under Tools in the starter

You may try to make a clean install in a new folder first with the V14 launcher (in the downloads on the page here)
    If that still crashes maybe supply the Log.0 from the logs folder of that new install here so that someone may take a look at it for more information!

Reaction score
    Is it also crashing in Singleplayer ?
    Try to reset the client cache under Tools in the starter

You may try to make a clean install in a new folder first with the V14 launcher (in the downloads on the page here)
    If that still crashes maybe supply the Log.0 from the logs folder of that new install here so that someone may take a look at it for more information!
    I tried clearing the cache, not clearing it. Turning certain graphic settings on and off such as Occlusion Culling and Fullscreen.

I run Minecraft on my Linux rigs with nearly flawless performance, so I know it's probably not the JVM(you can't ever really be sure with something that big). Plus SM has generally been very stable over-all for me since v 0.13.

The few bugs I've reported up to now have turned out to be other than what they first appeared and often go and come between different releases. So, in the main, I really just want further guidance as to how to evaluate problems on my end to more efficiently make use of my time and the Devs.

Reaction score
    Well, StarMade writes pretty much everything that happens into its log files. The most recent is always log.txt.0, and all other files mostly are non-relevant. So if you experience a crash, there usually should be an exception appearing somewhere. It takes a bit of experience to spot the right one—for instance, you can safely ignore these:
    • "Cannot find computer SN" (seems to always happen on OS X and Linux)
    • FileNotFoundException when trying to access texOrder. Relevant exceptions usually come somewhere after this one.
    • Something about the exit of the GL frame. Relevant exceptions pretty much always come shortly before this one.