Client automatically downloads server texture

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    When playing on a server with custom blocks you see lots of pink blocks. Wouldn't you think it be good if the client automatically downloads the textures from the server? (like minecraft)

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was just about to suggest the same thing, but you beat me to it by a couple of months at least.

Reactions: aceface

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The big problem I see is that we have only 1 version of blockConfig.xml (in which order the textures are stored within the texture files) and the whole pack is 50 MB big.

A single text file (blockConfig.xml) downloaded twice? A few KB bandwidth wasted.
    A 50 MB texture pack downloaded twice? You may pay at the end of your month (dependent on to who you pay for your internet).
    Automatically changing texture packs may lead to admins to change them more often.

I would like it, but I dunno if it would be good for all players.

MineCraft will not have this problem - obviously if you know that each texture is a single file, not 16x16 textures glued together in one big file.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    a more efficient way to handle textures might be called for, if this feature is in demand.
    Overall, I would call it a low priority though.