Click-to-drag build in advanced build mode

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So in the dead game Seed of Andromeda, there was a build mode where you could click on a block, drag the mouse over to where you wanted to place your blocks, and let go, and all empty blocks in between would be set to that block. (It would also glitch if your practically infinite inventory ran out.) So I'm saying we should add that into this game and you could literally do thirty minutes of building in ten seconds provided you had the blocks required. More info in this video if you are wondering how it works.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Well, I don't see the point in doing this, because we already have multiple ways to place multiple blocks with a single click.
    • We have Brush Size tools in the Advanced Build options, and experienced builders can easily eyeball the amount of blocks needed to fill a gap, and adjust brush sizes accordingly.
    • In addition to that, we have a fill tool in Advanced Build options too, to fill empty or specified areas with blocks.
    • Also, there are Copypaste tools to quickly add detailed features and templates into builds without much of a hassle.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    This used to be a thing until the update that included a sticky ADV build mode (that would have been perfect for this) was added. Well it was more like a click and drag paint tool for placing blocks.
    I am still salty.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well, I don't see the point in doing this, because we already have multiple ways to place multiple blocks with a single click.
    • We have Brush Size tools in the Advanced Build options, and experienced builders can easily eyeball the amount of blocks needed to fill a gap, and adjust brush sizes accordingly.
    • In addition to that, we have a fill tool in Advanced Build options too, to fill empty or specified areas with blocks.
    • Also, there are Copypaste tools to quickly add detailed features and templates into builds without much of a hassle.
    This would still be faster. Did you watch the video?

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This used to be a thing until the update that included a sticky ADV build mode (that would have been perfect for this) was added. Well it was more like a click and drag paint tool for placing blocks.
    I am still salty.
    Cool, how did you build with it? Also, salty?

Reaction score
    Did you watch the video?
    I did, found it quite amusing, because of all the stuff blowing up and being immersed in liquid water. Aside from one spot in the video (building the house), I didn't really see the demostrator using the feature as a means of actually building something. Blowing things up and playing with the physics was nice, but it's clear that the video was a physics demo, not an actual demonstration of the capabilities of click-and-drag building.

Also, salty?
    "Salty" as in disappointed, rueful, even angry in some cases. In other words, the kind of mood that sometimes makes forum dwellers start raging rants on stuff and generally blow off some steam.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I did, found it quite amusing, because of all the stuff blowing up and being immersed in liquid water. Aside from one spot in the video (building the house), I didn't really see the demostrator using the feature as a means of actually building something. Blowing things up and playing with the physics was nice, but it's clear that the video was a physics demo, not an actual demonstration of the capabilities of click-and-drag building.

"Salty" as in disappointed, rueful, even angry in some cases. In other words, the kind of mood that sometimes makes forum dwellers start raging rants on stuff and generally blow off some steam.
    Okay thanks but the reason I linked to that video in particular is to show how much less time it takes to place tonnes of blocks with click to drag than placing them individually. It would have taken him hours to do the physics if he had had to place each block individually. And even if he had had our advanced build mode options, it still would have taken longer to do what he did. Like imagine being able to place a 1000 by 50 segment of armour in the time it takes to fly a kilometer in a build block. What could be better?

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Like imagine being able to place a 1000 by 50 segment of armour in the time it takes to fly a kilometer in a build block
    changing the max build box area to 1000 allows for this, but you are very likely to crash.

So I just leave it at 200 and keep clicking, also symmetry can help too.

And considering I have done exactly that, place a 1000x50 armour section, I can say it takes as much time as it takes to fly 1200m in build mode.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    changing the max build box area to 1000 allows for this, but you are very likely to crash.

So I just leave it at 200 and keep clicking, also symmetry can help too.

And considering I have done exactly that, place a 1000x50 armour section, I can say it takes as much time as it takes to fly 1200m in build mode.
    Cool. How do you change that setting? Is it in server config?

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    yes.

The last time I changed it it was, it might also be in the ADV options in the main menu if that is a thing.
    I just build on CBS nowadays and they have a 200 building box.

Reaction score
    Aside from placing systems and other blocks in large quantities (which we can already do in multiple ways), I don't really see the point in this. Usually, when someone is building, it's not only to build something, but it's also a way to relax from the rigors of IRL and to do something creative. In this context, it's not at all about who builds stuff the fastest, it's about the effort, skill and thought you put into the build.

Of course, in a build-off competition things like these matter, but usually we're not gonna be building like that anyway.

Cool. How do you change that setting? Is it in server config?
    Look for "PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA" in server.cfg located in your SM Install directory. Or alternatively, it is located in Advanced Settings in Local Play menu.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Aside from placing systems and other blocks in large quantities (which we can already do in multiple ways), I don't really see the point in this. Usually, when someone is building, it's not only to build something, but it's also a way to relax from the rigors of IRL and to do something creative. In this context, it's not at all about who builds stuff the fastest, it's about the effort, skill and thought you put into the build.

Of course, in a build-off competition things like these matter, but usually we're not gonna be building like that anyway.

Look for "PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA" in server.cfg located in your SM Install directory. Or alternatively, it is located in Advanced Settings in Local Play menu.
    Yeah but if someone sets it 10 by 10 by 10 like in the Grayles Gaming Server, this would be really efficient. I'm saying it should be a build mode option. I didn't say you had to use it. I'm also saying a lot of people would really like thid I think.