CIR - Term 3 Councillors Announced

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    What do you mean?
    Randoms with no avatars won't get any votes.

I think that's a given. If someone can't be bothered to add an avatar, then they probably wouldn't bother with proper council duty either.

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    calani
    Thank you so much for creating an awesome voting experience for Term 3 Councilor Election. Going by the results of the last election this was a 1000% improvement. I'm glad you came to join us at Starmade :)

You da Bomb!
    ^_^ Thank you!

The next election should be a significant improvement, too, for all parties involved :p

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I'm not on the council, I call shenanigans >_>

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Congrats to the new councillors ! I hope this time, a significant change will come, that will improve starmade even more !

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Randoms with no avatars won't get any votes.

I think that's a given. If someone can't be bothered to add an avatar, then they probably wouldn't bother with proper council duty either.
    That is not a given.

Avatars never entered my mind while I figured out my voting. It's not important or relevant.
    The only disqualifying marks on my ballot are lack of purchase and disciplinary marks since applying.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Congrats to the new councillors ! I hope this time, a significant change will come, that will improve starmade even more !
    I dont think you understand what we did/they do in the council,we have almost 0 influence on features

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What do you mean?
    I just noted fact that peoples who applied without uploaded an avatar on SM forum did all a low score with no exception, as if they wasn't trustfull or sure. Like if having an avatar was a sign of quality (which is quite unrationnal mind behaviour since upload an avatar take 5 sec and factually means nothing).

Disagree, some prefer to retain some anonymity and blend into the mass of users.
    Your statement show us the difference between people who judge a book from the cover and those who judge it by reading it. A poor coverage doesn't necessarily mean a bad book and vice versa. But unfortunately lot of people vote with these a priori in mind, and for my part I don't think it's something really healthy (but it's only my point of view).

Last edited:
    Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    Here's a shoutout to the remaining Triumvirate! Don't let yourselves get demotivated, now is the time to declare an emperor!

Hope to hear from and about the council soon, it's been awfully quiet...

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Here's a shoutout to the remaining Triumvirate! Don't let yourselves get demotivated, now is the time to declare an emperor!

Hope to hear from and about the council soon, it's been awfully quiet...
    I'd hardly call 5 people a triumvirate :P

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Reaction score
    If a seat opens up due to a resignation/impeachment, it is refilled by the next person in line[as the voting system is STV, the vote can easily be recalculated if a certain canditate does not exist, without simply discarding the votes of their voters].
    In this case, Crimson-Artist and HolyCookie became councillors.
    I have to ask why there was no official announcement about the departure and succession. Criss stated that Schine were to decide on a course of action "over the weekend", but nothing ever followed up.

Basically you're saying, if even one person voted for any candidate, that candidate is guaranteed to be "next in line" at some point, if only enough "elected" councillors drop out?
    I think there needs to be a minimum cutoff for any candidate to be eligible for automatic promotion, or for that matter, for election to the council in the first place. This cutoff needs to be agreed upon before the election (or the next round, in this case), and made known to all voters and candidates alike before the first candidate even puts in an application.

Another thing is you can't assume a candidate is still available and interested a month or longer after not being elected, or that things haven't changed from the voters' perspective. This strengthens unpopular candidates disproportionately, who will climb the ladder if previous candidates are unavailable or unwilling, and skews the voters' intent.

As an aside, the way the automated voting process works made it appear in some cases at least, that you had to vote for every single candidate. If even one voter was misled (as I was), that basically granted at least one single vote, and quite a few on average, for every possible candidate, however unpopular.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Basically you're saying, if even one person voted for any candidate, that candidate is guaranteed to be "next in line" at some point, if only enough "elected" councillors drop out?
    I think there needs to be a minimum cutoff for any candidate to be eligible for automatic promotion, or for that matter, for election to the council in the first place. This cutoff needs to be agreed upon before the election (or the next round, in this case), and made known to all voters and candidates alike before the first candidate even puts in an application.
    If I recall correctly, councilor replacement can only happen in the first half or so of a term, as after that the chance of the votes no longer reflecting the will of the voters is too high. However, there is the chance of me remembering this incorrectly, so take this with a grain of salt.

Secondly, what would happen if within the 1st week of the term, EVERY councillor above the cutoff line resigns? Or if during the election, not a single councillor manages to get above that line?
    Another thing is you can't assume a candidate is still available and interested a month or longer after not being elected
    Replacements still need to agree to become councillors, and also sign an NDA, if they do not do so within a certain amount of time, it is safe to assume they are unable or not willing to be councillors, and can thus be also removed from the list of replacement candidates.
    or that things haven't changed from the voters' perspective.
    If the time between the resignation and the last election is short enough, this can be relatively safely assumed for the majority of voters.
    This strengthens unpopular candidates disproportionately, who will climb the ladder if previous candidates are unavailable or unwilling, and skews the voters' intent.
    This is false, as one did not climb a ladder if the top has been cut off. Secondly the voter's intend is not skewed, as all voters can rank all candidates. If they did not, and all their ranked candidates are eliminated, they have chosen to no longer influence the election at that point.
    As an aside, the way the automated voting process works made it appear in some cases at least, that you had to vote for every single candidate. If even one voter was misled (as I was), that basically granted at least one single vote, and quite a few on average, for every possible candidate, however unpopular.
    Yes, but you still ranked them in the order in which you preferred them over another.

Reaction score
    If I recall correctly, councilor replacement can only happen in the first half or so of a term, as after that the chance of the votes no longer reflecting the will of the voters is too high. However, there is the chance of me remembering this incorrectly, so take this with a grain of salt.
    I don't think this has been written out expressly before. I don't count an internal council discussion, an obscure chat log or a livestream as public information.

Secondly, what would happen if within the 1st week of the term, EVERY councillor above the cutoff line resigns? Or if during the election, not a single councillor manages to get above that line?
    Reelections. Suspension of activity in the worst case.

Replacements still need to agree to become councillors, and also sign an NDA, if they do not do so within a certain amount of time, it is safe to assume they are unable or not willing to be councillors, and can thus be also removed from the list of replacement candidates.
    "... thus can be removed" and the next lower ranking candidate climbs up a rank - what else would be the point in eliminating them otherwise?

If the time between the resignation and the last election is short enough, this can be relatively safely assumed for the majority of voters.
    True, but there needs to be agreement or edict what "short enough" means.

This is false, as one did not climb a ladder if the top has been cut off.
    This is exactly what happened here. The top has been cut off, and two runners-up got elevated to member status.

Secondly the voter's intend is not skewed, as all voters can rank all candidates. If they did not, and all their ranked candidates are eliminated, they have chosen to no longer influence the election at that point.

Yes, but you still ranked them in the order in which you preferred them over another.
    On the contrary: If I did not rank them, that would show my express desire to not have them on the council at all instead of them showing up as a last resort. Because I ranked them, the vote counter must assume that I do have an interest in seeing them as councillors, however late in the process.

I only did rank them because of the misleading vote page, and there is no way to tell how many others felt they had to rank every candidate when in fact they wouldn't have.
    The voting page needs an overhaul, with at the very least an option to reset all votes.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    If I did not rank them, that would show my express desire to not have them on the council at all instead of them showing up as a last resort.
    It could just as well mean you don't care if they get into the council or not.

Reaction score
    Aaanyway. I wasn't asking about the voting system in use and its shortcomings, but about the composition of the council.

Who is on the council?

Can we please have an official announcement? From Schine? On the front page?

Reaction score
    From Schine? On the front page?

While that may or may not be the official list of current councillors, the fact is there was talk about suspending the council entirely for the time being.
    It's entirely possible we will suspend the council. We will be discussing it over the weekend.
    I think with such a significant change either way, we shouldn't have to gather that information ourselves based on educated guesses, or find it by accident, buried in some thread only marginally related to the topic.
    And while Criss never specifically said which weekend, I think it's safe to assume this weekend has come and gone by now...