Checkerboard Mining Broken for months now

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've tried multiple times to create a mining ship because salvage beams suck horribly. Every time I try, all my beams combine into one and have a random starting location somewhere off the bottom corner of the ship. I do not combine them, I have them checkerboarded properly 10 blocks in length each row. There is no mistakes in the design that I am aware of. I have deleted every single star-made file on my laptop 7 times and the bug persists each time I re-create a massive ship with these lasers set up the way they are. It's becoming very bothersome, it means it will be impossible to create a decent mining ship in the game EVER unless the devs decide to give beams the ability to increase in mining radius instead of making people checkerboard their designs into an ugly train like ship.

http://youtu.be/8pDma2Mos-E
    New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgS9tkspPoU

Reaction score
    Video didn\'t show the salvage computer. It should show how many groups are linked to it. Also we could see it better from another camera angle, for example from the side of the ship. You can do that by first zooming out (left-shift + mousewheel), and then while firing salvage beams, hold right-shift and rotate camera.

We didn\'t see what the ship looks like from the front. Salvage beam itself may only reach 50 blocks if i remember right, and you built them behind your 50m (?) long ship.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgS9tkspPoU

Reaction score
    I also uploaded a salvager build video now, it takes 44 minutes of posting this to upload on my poor connection. Youtube says it will appear on http://youtu.be/x92sopydqyE but i will check again after it\'s done. I still can\'t replicate your bug, but i didn\'t make it exactly same as your ship, just the checkerboard pattern on salvagers.

edit: I saw 1 beam bug after buying 1 of my salvager blueprints. I reconnected them all to salvage computer with Shift+V and the bug went away.

Reaction score
    I have 1 idea which might be cause for your problems. You don\'t have empty slot in front of the salvage cannons. I don\'t know if it\'s required, but that\'s a possibility.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sometimes, the game generates a weird output position for you (i had that on my battleship, chich fired 12 rockets from the same position near the core when in reality, the 12 rocketlaunchers were somewhere else).

Try this:

* Go into space as your character (not buildmode)

* Approach your salvagecannon from the front

* click R on each of the blocks that should emit a beam (if the block has a CURRENT in its name, it is active).

* If clicking one block removes the CURRENT from another, that means the blocks belong to the same cannon, they are connected somewhere.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Schema, I found the issue. I FOUND THE ISSUUEEEEE!

With the help of 3 people, Doomsider, MichealSeph and that guy who\'s name starts with a P.... Can\'t remember fully atm. Oh right \"Pholopalus\".

ANYHOW.

If I build the front of my ship first, and then place the salvage beams facing the front against a wall, the beams fail and malfunction. If I build the beams without any blocks touching their forward facing direction, they work perfectly fine. Is that easy enough to understand?

X = WALL
    O = Salvage beam front
    o = Savage Beam

XOoooo ?
    XOoooo ?
    XOoooo ? NO
    XOoooo ?
    XOoooo ?

OooooX ?
    OooooX ?
    OooooX ? YES
    OooooX ?
    OooooX ?

And then you can cover the front after it\'s placed after it\'s working.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    THIS BUG IS PISSING ME OFF MORE THAN ANYTHING I\'VE EVER KNOWN.

My earlier post is wrong, it has nothing to do with the issue AT ALL.

Now, it seems beams only work if they are either within 7 block range of the ship core, or 8 block range of the salvage computer. I don\'t flippin know right now but if no one helps me zero in on the bug and FIX THE .... THING, I\'m gonna quit.

I think Schema released a trolling update or something because everyone else can build them properly except for me. Why am I THE ONLY ONE who can\'t?