Check if player is stuck, autmatically move to open space

Shoud Schine add automatic player unstick code?

• Definitely add this

Votes: 10 66.7%
    • Autoamtic unstick yes, but not the 6 block outside of a structure teleport menu option

Votes: 4 26.7%
    • Nope. I like getting stuck in structures that I have to destroy to escape.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've run into this more than once, especially in my current game where I design a ship in a shipyard, enter a test sector, then I materialize in a asteroid. For whatever reason, hitting "UP" (the 'E' key) doesn't free my avatar. The fact a player gets stuck at all is a problem to begin with. A player could spawn later in the game and find out that a wall has been build on/in them, or they get stuck when roaming around a ship that's being built in a shipyard.

So, here's what I propose: The server (and/or client) could check to see if any part of the player is stuck in an object, and, if it is, move them into an open area of at least 2x2x2 in size. In a perfect world, a check would be done to see if there is an open path to exit the entity, either through a door that the character has permission to control, or just an open hole/hall. But that requires a bit more processing time. This code could also be used to ensure NPCs don't get stuck inside a structure as well.

If the player is still stuck, then the menu that pops up in the client when the player hits the "ESC" key should have an additional option "Unstick Player" or something to that effect. What this option would do is teleport the player 6 blocks outside of the upper boundary of the entity they are in (and at least 6 squares away from any other entity). Although, special handling of planets would have to be done to prevent spawning inside the core (just spawn 6 blocks above the highest peak). Following with how other MMO's handle this, it would need a cool down period (30 seconds), and also take about 20 to activate after being triggers, just in case you're trying to use it as a cheap way to escape combat. This will prevent payers from being stuck inside of stations in areas where they are unable to use a door, and so they don't have to resort to using a torch to escape.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    indeed,that should be fixed a bit,but until then you can use tab+F6 to refresh chunks,and while they are unloaded,just move away from that spot where you were stuck :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You... do not wanna know.... how many times I'be been stuck into walls because I exited a structure or ship...... They considered hiring another staff member on the server I play on just to get me out of walls. Yes to this all the way.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    indeed,that should be fixed a bit,but until then you can use tab+F6 to refresh chunks,and while they are unloaded,just move away from that spot where you were stuck :p
    Does that work? I'm pretty sure you get frozen in place when you do that.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    shouldnt matter (does it? :O),you just get out of there before the chunks reload
    The point is that you get frozen in place if you're an astronaut, and you can't do it in a ship if you're not an admin, specifically to prevent using it to get through walls. You might be able to move while an admin, though.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is really a bug. The game is already supposed to make sure you don't spawn into anything, they just need to work on their code a bit.

Reaction score
    I've used Up arrow "unsticking" all of four times.
    Then came the last two Release updates, and I've had nearly 80 situations where I needed to use it, but couldn't, because it had quit working.
    (up arrow, up arrow in Numberpad, the button I've bound as "move up", none of 'em do squat. the function be broken.)

So, bug or not, they REALLY need to get this fixed so it quits happening.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Known issue - T820

In fact, Scheme has marked this as resolved as of 1/15/16. In other words, it should be fixed in the next update.
    After updating, most likely this weekend, test it out and report back if you continue to have issues.