Chasing Lights

Reaction score
    Hello, I'm looking for help if possible. My idea is to have some lights that come on in turn to create runway lights or a chasing light. Maybe also to light a perimeter that chases around the outside. Is this possible?

Reaction score
    Depending on how big the gap you can do it fairly simply with some delay blocks in a loop, something like this (simplified, perhaps someone can suggest a nice circuit that can be easily turned on/off):

[Button] -> [Delay] -> [Delay] -> [Delay] -> (back to first Delay)

Link each delay block to the next light in sequence like so:

[L1] [L2] [L3] [L1] [L2] [L3] [L1] [L2] [L3]

L1 = Light linked to Delay 1
    L2 = Light linked to Delay 2
    L3 = Light linked to Delay 3

EDIT:

Just realised that Delay circuit wont work as they'll all be ON, nor does it loop properly... pro tip: don't post logic circuits when away from gaming pc and tired! Hopefully it still gives you some insight though piggy1982, and I'm sure someone will post a better example soon :)

Reaction score
    I will have a play about with your suggestion tonight. Thank you for your help. I'm new to star made and it's blowing my mind already. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448361156,1448361107][/DOUBLEPOST]Ha ha. No problem. I'm not able to get on the game till later anyway.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are a few ways to do it based on the effect you want.

The simple ones are the button clock and the not clock.
    A button clock produces a short pulse, a not clock produces a long pulse.

Following animation should demonstrate that for you, its a bit choppy though as I haven't done cleaning up on it other than cropping (starmade gif recording + lag for the win).
    starmade-gif-0012-a.gif

The logic elements are all connected in series left to right, with the last one connected back to the start.

Reaction score
    You're amazing Tunk! The top one is exactly what I had in mind! Although I do like the bottom one too. Look forward to having a play later. Many thanks!

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Its not really that it reduces delay time, its a property of how delays and buttons work.

Delays propagate both high and low signals, so what the button does is introduce a high for 0.5 seconds, then switch back to low.
    So in reality the button clock has two signals traveling down the line at once, a high signal, followed by a low signal.

The not clock doesn't introduce a state change until the previous signal has completely propagated.