Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    I hope the Charon has a LOT of shield generators, a ship like this with a slow turn rate is going to be under a ton of fire, so the shields will need to be crazy strong to survive :3

Reaction score
    He'll probably pack in about a million regen/second or so, at the very least. I mean, he's got 1.2km of space to work with. You can bet on some insanely powerful weapons and shields.

However, I'd like to see a Titan like that packed to the brim with as many thrusters as can be supported for a few minutes of maneuvering.
    It'd be everyone's worst nightmare, the mobile Titan. Just dock powerful turrets and you're good!

Reaction score
    (Stop me if i become annoying)

I'm so excited for the charon i came up with the idea of making a small server.

It would be just a regular server, except only the admins are allowed to have a charon, as an added rule to prevent lag and abuse only 1 charon is allowed on the server per galaxy, AKA no more than 1 charon per galaxy.

Just thought id share my thoughts on the charon + servers.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Minimum computer req: Big, bad, and state of the art.
    FPS not guaranteed regardless.
    The last part is especially true...

I hope the Charon has a LOT of shield generators, a ship like this with a slow turn rate is going to be under a ton of fire, so the shields will need to be crazy strong to survive :3
    500 million effective shielding, I don't know about the regen yet.
    However, I'd like to see a Titan like that packed to the brim with as many thrusters as can be supported for a few minutes of maneuvering.
    It'd be everyone's worst nightmare, the mobile Titan. Just dock powerful turrets and you're good!
    That would be fun, but it still couldn't turn. Thrusters also have an efficiency curve, so past a certain point they don't provide much thrust. The ship already has ridiculously powerful turrets, and the plane is to equip it with a very powerful jump-drive, making micro-jumps possible (so instead of moving I just warp to the next sector). But ofc it'll still have thrusters, I just don't know what the final thrust/mass ratio will be yet.
    (Stop me if i become annoying)

I'm so excited for the charon i came up with the idea of making a small server.

It would be just a regular server, except only the admins are allowed to have a charon, as an added rule to prevent lag and abuse only 1 charon is allowed on the server per galaxy, AKA no more than 1 charon per galaxy.

Just thought id share my thoughts on the charon + servers.
    The server would still die :p

Reaction score
    The last part is especially true...

500 million effective shielding, I don't know about the regen yet.

That would be fun, but it still couldn't turn. Thrusters also have an efficiency curve, so past a certain point they don't provide much thrust. The ship already has ridiculously powerful turrets, and the plane is to equip it with a very powerful jump-drive, making micro-jumps possible (so instead of moving I just warp to the next sector). But ofc it'll still have thrusters, I just don't know what the final thrust/mass ratio will be yet.

The server would still die :p
    Welp... time to make an *I give up* hole.

Reaction score
    Lol, I'd love a Charon, but just attacking the most basic pirate stations causes my framerate to die clientside. Serverside, the puny laptop can handle it easily, but my poor "new(ish)" computer can't take it. It lags even worse if I go inside a large ship or station (as I have before to surgically remove faction blocks from stations). I don't wanna know what the Charon would do. 1.2km of ship? No. Dang. Way.
    Oh, and btw, if you try to covertly insert to knock a Charon pilot out of the fight via stealth ship + torch, remember that if you're sitting on the stealth ship ... you're not stealthy. Pirate station fragged stealth ship and nearly murdered me .... twice.
    I may have missed something ... something important ... a small detail, going in ... ah well.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    Okay um.... why can't i log back in to my highkings_ruin account????

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Now that pickup points are fixed I could actually test out the system. Turns out that getting 110 drones to load through a single pickup point takes for FREAKING EVER!!! (around 20 minutes). That's just not practical in-game. Therefore, I set out to modify the system to not only retain the ability to replace missing drones with a station (automatically), but also cut down on the recall time. The result was this:

(gif is 6x normal speed, it took around 1.5 minutes in-game)
    That looks like a cross between some strange version of bubbles and like, well, drones. I like. You should make a version (you said it's copypaste, so you wouldn't have to do a total redo) of it on a much smaller vessel, as a frigate of your faction/fleet style. Like 5 drone docks on either side.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That looks like a cross between some strange version of bubbles and like, well, drones. I like. You should make a version (you said it's copypaste, so you wouldn't have to do a total redo) of it on a much smaller vessel, as a frigate of your faction/fleet style. Like 5 drone docks on either side.
    Yea, I intend to do that... some day :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update 41: Animated engines

That's right! Pretty self-explanatory this time. I got tired of the shitty center engine, and wanted to make a spinny one. I made it, looked cool, so I decided to make the side engines spin as well. Here's the result:
    I was fairly limited with the depth on this one, since there's a gigantic cylinder of enhancers for the wing turret assembly literally 1 block behind the engine. With the glow I think that it turned out alright, since it makes it very hard to estimate how deep the engine actually is (the white part isn't flat).

Some of you may have also noticed that the back changed a bit. I added an additional grey armor plate and some seams to go with it:

The back looks a lot less bland that way!

So that's it for this update. The only problem is that my fps drops to 20 when the engines spin, versus the normal 60fps..... (rail optimizations plz). I don't know what I'll do next, it'll probably have something to do with trying to fix the holographic display in the bridge.

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Wow its been so long that I had forgotten about your holographic display, this would be the one thats actually the size of a small fighter right?

Reaction score
    First off... yay i got my account back :3.

2cnd. that is a truly beautiful animation. i really didn't know you could do this in starmade.

How did you get the engines to spin in this game?

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    Rail Rotators. Dock the engines to them with the docker at the PERFECT CENTER (important!) of the part you want spinning, then watch as it spins in circles.
    And add rail mass enhancers so that they don't spin like snails.
    Beautiful spinny things.
    But what's the holograph look like?
    No, I am not digging through 53 pages of stuff to find it.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If fixed up the holographic display... Sort off... Unfortunately, transparency is completely and utterly fucked, so glass looks like absolute shite as can be seen in the picture. Nothing I can do about it.... Some of you will also notice that I added the medium turrets:

There's also small rings that light up when the super weapon is turned on:

The super weapon thingy is wired up. However, I can't be bothered to wire the turrets back up to a damage display logic (I plan to... eventually). So yea, the whole thing is mostly decorative now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That can be arranged.

Just kidding, I plan to release the ship once it's done :p. Thanks a lot for the nice comments, it helps to keep me going! And yep, the two wings on the sides are both part of a turret, it can cover the ship from any angle (which is pretty handy with the ship's turn speed, lol):

Note: That's an older picture, there's some missing/different stuff (like the side of the middle section and the hangar door are both different now).
    HOLY **** I only just now realized that entire turret is anchor basically to a center point inside the ship! That's a brilliant idea I'm going to have to use at some point!

Actually... that might work well on my battleship build as a primary weapon...