Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The drone hangar upgrade is almost complete! All that's left is to synchronize the hangar doors so that they open with the drone ejection.

220 drones. This is gon' be gud >:-D

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Does the ion beam have any block damage? It seems pretty viable to intercept with some sort of chaff cannon otherwise.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Does the ion beam have any block damage? It seems pretty viable to intercept with some sort of chaff cannon otherwise.
    I guess I can make it 99.9999% ion. It'd still have enough damage to wreck blocks, lol.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You might want to go for 99,99. With 500 damage at 99,9999 ion it won't wreck much of anything, I fear.

Also, is anti-ion chaff really that non-viable? I mean, in most situations it is, but I don't expect the Charon to be overly nimble. Putting a somewhat significant quantity of blocks between yourself and that cannon shouldn't be too difficult with proper prep.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #39: New drone hangars

I'm still laughing like a mad scientist over this thing:

That's 110 drones. There's space for an other 110 on the other side of the ship, so 220 in total. I think that the awesomeness is pretty self-explanatory after watching the abve video. Here's more stuff:

New VS old:

Looks infinitely better now imo.

Moar pics:

Stats
    Mass: 149.7 Blocks: 1146
    Dimensions: z: 11 , x: 15, y: 9
    Power: 50k storage @15k e/sec
    thrust: 151.2
    shields: 12,167 @143s/sec
    Armor: 53,350
    Structure: 45,025
    Weapon: normal cannon, 1k dps in 4 outputs (250 damage per shot, 1s reload). It wrecks blocks.
    The docker is located on the underside (same spot as the door on the top)

Here's a download link: "Soul" drone
    It's pretty simple, first I open the door:

Then the drones are either recalled with the fleet order (assuming it works lol) or reloaded with a station mounted loader I have yet to build (did make a rack though):

Following that the drones are automatkcally sorted and routed to fill the furthest compartments first. That means that the station refill system will be able to tell if it has to send drones to the ship or not once it docks, and it'll sort them nicely:

(x16 speed)

The disadvantage is that there's only two pickup points for 220 drones, so it does take a while to load them up. But it doesn't really bother me tbh.

Pretty cool hmm? I bet that using it in practice will be tons of fun! Well, fun for me, not the enemy :p

I have yet to decide what to do next, so stay posted for further news and stuff!

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Those GIFs are near-orgasmic, Kep. You've done it again.
    hehehe :D

The trick is to record them in video format and convert them to gif afterwards (I use an online converter since I don't have photoshop), that's how they look so smooth. Don't use the in-game tool, it's crap. :P

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Uh, I couldn't help but notice the last door to the left didn't close properly.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Seeing that had me like:

But all aside, I love how quickly you integrate new features into this build and rebuild whole chunks of this ship just to accomodate that.

Well done Kep :)
    Thank you! Using the new blocks was well worth it, the new system is a lot more stable and less prone to derp than the old rack system (like drones getting stuck inside the ship because of collisions). I'm pretty sure that I could fly the ship and launch the drones at the same time without any problems now (well, it worked fine before but some drones could get stuck occasionally).

And yea, I didn't use rail doors for three reasons:
    1. Plex doors open faster and are a lot more reliable.
    2. I didn't want to add 44 more entities to the ship.
    3. Too much work, f*ck that.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458064011,1458063836][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Uh, I couldn't help but notice the last door to the left didn't close properly.
    lol, I didn't think anyone would notice. I just ended the video recording before the door closed. The drones all started colliding with each other due to a lack of order or enemies around (so they all clumped up), making my fps dip to around 10. That in turn made the last door/logic lag, and I didn't want to prolong the video for X seconds just for that last door. It did close 1-2 seconds after btw :p

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Also, what with the gradual blurring of the neat, right-to-left deployment? Not that it matters, but I have a hard time imagining what would make it gradually less linear like that. The lag again?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Also, what with the gradual blurring of the neat, right-to-left deployment? Not that it matters, but I have a hard time imagining what would make it gradually less linear like that. The lag again?
    Yea, I think that's lag causing the rails to desync. Notice how the drones sort of micro-stutter on the rails. I wasn't expecting that to happen either at first... Looks cool though, so I won't complain xD