Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So, I tried to duplicate the mechanics of your awesome revolving super-turret, but its apparently rather more complicated than I thought. I keep running into issues with the orientation of the ship cores in the turret. I can only get it to work if I build the turrets pointing straight upright, which looks really silly. How did you manage to make yours work and point forward? (If you don't mind sharing your secrets)
    The turret docks are in the center point of the two turrets (inside the ship). The rotation of the base is around the ship's Z axis, with the default orientation being straight down (relative to the ship). The barrels rotate relative around the base's X axis, with their default orientation being straight up (so it points towards the front of the ship). It's a bit wonky when aimed manually (trying to aim up first will revert the controls since it goes over the turret's 90 degree up point), but the AI gets it to work just fine.

I think that all you're missing is having the barrel's default position be 90 degrees up relative to the base (it's a bit counter-intuitive lol). Basically, if this were a normal turret docked on a flat surface the barrels would be pointing straight up. I can make a picture to make it clearer if needed.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Out of everything on this wonderful, wonderful thread, that comment about Runescape is what hit me closest to home. That game is pure unmitigated BS. I never 99'nd a skill, and the reason for that was the grind.

You know you have a problem when when the halfway point for XP is like, level 92 out of 99.
    I think it might have been level 98 for some skills.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think it might have been level 98 for some skills.
    Yea, it was retarded either way. I don't really mind the concept of skilling up stuff in games, but having to perform a monotonous, uninteresting, repetitive, pain if the f******* ass activity for hundreds of hours just to get your lvl 99 internet no-life skill is a load of bullshit.

Reaction score
    The turret docks are in the center point of the two turrets (inside the ship). The rotation of the base is around the ship's Z axis, with the default orientation being straight down (relative to the ship). The barrels rotate relative around the base's X axis, with their default orientation being straight up (so it points towards the front of the ship). It's a bit wonky when aimed manually (trying to aim up first will revert the controls since it goes over the turret's 90 degree up point), but the AI gets it to work just fine.

I think that all you're missing is having the barrel's default position be 90 degrees up relative to the base (it's a bit counter-intuitive lol). Basically, if this were a normal turret docked on a flat surface the barrels would be pointing straight up. I can make a picture to make it clearer if needed.
    Ah, okay, I think I understand. I will try it that way on my next build and see if I can pull it off. Thanks!!!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I forgot to say but I finished the super weapon. I still need to add some systems for the anti-shield beam but that's just mass block placement in bulk and doesn't take long (I need the power system in place to test it anyways).

Now that fleets have come out it looks like it's time to upgrade the drone bays! I think that I'll quadruple the current capacity, which I can now do thanks to the new blocks.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I forgot to say but I finished the super weapon. I still need to add some systems for the anti-shield beam but that's just mass block placement in bulk and doesn't take long (I need the power system in place to test it anyways).

Now that fleets have come out it looks like it's time to upgrade the drone bays! I think that I'll quadruple the current capacity, which I can now do thanks to the new blocks.
    Needs more Drones.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #38: Working super weapon​

Here's a video of how it works (description after the vid):
    Note: The ship ran out of power cause I haven't finished placing the power capacitors yet. The main ion beam also wasn't linked for the demo, so that it had enough power to fire the missiles. Also, the super turrets are missing, cause I need to update the systems in them.

There's 4 steps to fire the super weapon (with 1 being optional), you can see me perform all of them in the video:

1) Turn on the "primer". Opens all the doors and activates the rings. It also works as a safety switch, if it's turned off it'll shut down everything (missiles included).

2) Turn on the tracers (optional)
    , just makes it easier to aim since the beam is logic fired. Having the tracer just shows if you'll hit or not. Also, there's an aim view for the beam:

3) Fire the ion beam
    . The beam's purpose is to rid targets of shields, it's a beam/pulse/ion weapon intended to do 500 million shield damage per burst. I'll finish placing the weapon blocks once the rest of the systems are being put in, but it won't take long.
    I used copy-pasted blocks of systems. That way I can ensure that the weapons are all perfectly equal. It also provides insane redundancy in the event of damage, to make more than one group you'd have to literally slice the entire thing in two.

4) Fire the missiles. As you can see in the video, this fires a massive amount of heat-seeking missiles. The purpose is to do armor and system damage. In total the weapon does 350 million damage to targets (the missiles actually do double that damage in total, but on average half of it goes into space). Each missiles is it's independent missile/missile/pierce system. The firing sequence can be stopped either by turning off the missile button or the primer. Can be fired every 15 seconds.
    Obviously linking everything manually would take way too much time, so I made a slab that was copy pasted. After I just had to fix the bugs that occured (damn you copy/paste) and link all the slabs together :D

So yea, that's it for the super weapon. Took quite a lot of work to get all the logic set up and working properly (there's a lot), but I'm very happy with the result. As you can see 3 posts up, it looks pretty awesome :D. Also thanks to kupu for the FX test mod pack, which makes the beams look fatter (and awesome).

I hope that you enjoyed this update, cause I certainly enjoyed building that weapon system lol. Next up is upgrading the drone bays with the new blocks, and increasing the drone capacity.

Reaction score
    So yea, that's it for the super weapon.
    So yeah, that was pretty f***ing awesome. I like the "primer" especially; all the panels snapping open before you fire, very cool!

A few question though:
    heat seekers + drone bays = ?!?
    Also, how much shielding does Charon have that you feel the need for a weapon that can do 500 million shield damage per shot?

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    heat seekers + drone bays = ?!?
    Yeaaaaaaa, that's kind of an issue. However, if I need to pull out the super weapons then it means that the drones would probably be dead already. I'll just have to manage them properly.

Also, how much shielding does Charon have that you feel the need for a weapon that can do 500 million shield damage per shot?
    The ship will have around 500 million efficient shielding (250mil + ion). The beam might end up doing less damage, it all depends on if my final mass estimate will be accurate or not.

So yeah, that was pretty f***ing awesome.
    hehe thanks :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    that would kill my battlecruiser in less than a minute. damn...

Reaction score
    cheeeron, a work in progresss sooper tatan :D
    [DOUBLEPOST=1457433550,1457433312][/DOUBLEPOST]cheeeron, a work in progresss sooper tatan :D

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It would kill my ships...
    Assuming they HIT my ships.
    If your ship is small and nimble enough to dodge the super weapon that means it'd get absolutely shredded by the turrets :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Have you thought about making the rings rotate or do something?
    I did, actually. I originally intended to have a second set of rotating rings. However:
    Would need wireless logic to activate them, which is unreliable as fuck
    Adding rotating rings, along with a retracting central firing port with rails is something I eventually want to do. However, right now I just want to get on with the rest of the ship.