Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yep, it compensates against gigantic ugly ass bricks :p
    Hey Keptick. Right now, I'm unable to work on my own supermassive ship, as my computer is down because of massive power surge to internal components. So I'm doing a bunch of planning, and I'm having issues with the size of my ship versus the super weapon. Is it possible to push a missile with beam slave to the point where it's more than a 100% slave to get greater range than 2 km?

Also, I want to see a total ship broadside when the vessel is again up to date and back on schedule. Seriously, the visual effects must be stunning. It kind of reminds me of WWII battleships with their insanely massive guns...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    the slave effect can not ever be more that 100%. More blocks will just be redundant

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hey Keptick. Right now, I'm unable to work on my own supermassive ship, as my computer is down because of massive power surge to internal components. So I'm doing a bunch of planning, and I'm having issues with the size of my ship versus the super weapon. Is it possible to push a missile with beam slave to the point where it's more than a 100% slave to get greater range than 2 km?

Also, I want to see a total ship broadside when the vessel is again up to date and back on schedule. Seriously, the visual effects must be stunning. It kind of reminds me of WWII battleships with their insanely massive guns...
    Weapon range is dictated by sector size and weapon config. By default, missile/beam at 100% slave will have 3x sector range. I strongly suggest that you increase the size of your sectors, as it will increase stability a lot too (less sector changes).

By default, missile/beam should have something like 15km range. I suggest that you make a backup of your starmade directory (just in case) and delete the server config file, along with the blockbehaviorconfig file (that one is found in starmade/data/config). The game should generate new ones with up to date values.

Reaction score
    And he takes his gloriously beautiful, incredibly optimized masterpiece into MP battle and it gets demolished in seconds by what is, in essence, a vogon destructor ship... a gigantic brick.

(grin)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    And he takes his gloriously beautiful, incredibly optimized masterpiece into MP battle and it gets demolished in seconds by what is, in essence, a vogon destructor ship... a gigantic brick.

(grin)
    Hahaha yep, I'd still have to be one hell of a brick :p

The turrets help with that problem, as no lazy brick builder would bother mounting full on anti-capital assault turret with anti-missile complement, so I have the advantage in broadsides and non-headon combat.

Thanks for the compliments ^_^

Reaction score
    are you using old style turrets because of the mass problem with rails right now?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    are you using old style turrets because of the mass problem with rails right now?
    I'm in the process of refiting the turrets. The last update I made was the super turret refit. Luckily enough turrets don't seem to require mass enhancers at the moment, and I can easily add some in the future.

And the ship systems aren't finished, so the enhancer issues will most likely get fixed before I get to use the ship :P

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I always wondered what that ship in your sig was, a really old version the Charon? a prototype for one of its super lasers?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I always wondered what that ship in your sig was, a really old version the Charon? a prototype for one of its super lasers?
    Nah, it's a completely different ship. It's called the silmaril, and it's not finished either :P

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I always wondered if aiming (with the mouse) would destroy the great "channelling" look through the entire front section of the ship (silmaril, nice name btw). or could you technically "fix" it by using salvage beams for the part running through the ship while having the actual outputs in the front?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I always wondered if aiming (with the mouse) would destroy the great "channelling" look through the entire front section of the ship (silmaril, nice name btw). or could you technically "fix" it by using salvage beams for the part running through the ship while having the actual outputs in the front?
    Yea... it does mess it up. I could just fire it with logic, which would allow me to have a mixed beam too :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Weapon range is dictated by sector size and weapon config. By default, missile/beam at 100% slave will have 3x sector range. I strongly suggest that you increase the size of your sectors, as it will increase stability a lot too (less sector changes).

By default, missile/beam should have something like 15km range. I suggest that you make a backup of your starmade directory (just in case) and delete the server config file, along with the blockbehaviorconfig file (that one is found in starmade/data/config). The game should generate new ones with up to date values.
    Awesome, thanks. 15km sounds awesome. I was getting frustrated, because the Leviathan was around 2km, and the farthest I've gotten my missiles to fire is 2km. It seemed impractical to have the weapons firing at that short of range relative to the ship, so with that kind of distance, it's relatively to scale of the ship.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update 29: Medium turrets rail refit.

This one was tricky to get good gun elevation angles, mostly due to the missile pods. Worked out well in the end. No major visual differences with the older non-rail version, apart from the feeding cable thingies at the back which I had to remove.

I refit the weapons to have a greater emphasis on block damage for the upcoming HP update. The cannons have 16 outputs and fire at a rate of 3 shells per second, with full explosive effect. It still has decent anti-shield damage though, thanks to the missiles.

Mass: 3.5k
    Lenght: 137
    Height: 21
    Width: 51
    Power: 2382254 @ 838e/sec
    Shields: 332k @ 5k/sec
    Main weapon DPS: 27k
    Missile burst damage: 814k

Next up will be a refit of the wing turrets and the anti-missile point-defense system to finalize the turret refresh.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Uh, with block collision on the explosion would be a shockwave of pure lag, not spess magic energy stuff.

One for the suggestion box then? "replace lag with space magic" I'm sure it'll go down amazingly well with the team at schine