Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    However, I agree that the entire ship is totally overkill. But I can, so why not? >: D
    Exactly. Really, Moore's law, every two years, the power of computers doubles. Theory states that in two years, even the largest of starships in this game will run smoothly. Course when that happens, people will be building ships twice this size and complexity.

I build massive ships like this, not only because I can, but because it makes sense. Large ship builders are building for the future.

Also, think about the kind of vessels we'll be building in something like ten years time...

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Exactly. Really, Moore's law, every two years, the power of computers doubles. Theory states that in two years, even the largest of starships in this game will run smoothly. Course when that happens, people will be building ships twice this size and complexity.

I build massive ships like this, not only because I can, but because it makes sense. Large ship builders are building for the future.

Also, think about the kind of vessels we'll be building in something like ten years time...
    At that point time will be more of an issue than anything, I've been building this thing for almost two years after all :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Super turret modifications with the new rails are almost complete. The hinge system and external hull (including detailing) are complete. All that's left is to stick systems in the barrel segment, which won't take long, so you can all expect an update post on that pretty soon.

Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention that the barrels are bigger, which means more weapons. Let's just say that the damage estimate is scary. Go ahead and take guesses it you want, I'm not telling :p.

Hint: A lot. And by a lot I mean an unholy fuckton lot.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    UPDATE 28: Harbinger turret

The super turret has been enhanced with rail technology and given a visual refresh. It's power now rivals that of mid-size navies. I felt like it deserved it's own name since, as many have said before, it's bigger than normal capital ships. So here it is; the harbinger turret.

The barrel's pivot was by far the hardest component to make (didn't at all take me 5 hours....) due to the need to CONSTANTLY check if stuff was colliding and blocking the rotation. Needless to say, I'm very happy with how it turned out, as it's rather seamless and gives good rotation angles. (~7° down and ~80° up)

The turret is upside down on that pic btw, to represent what it'd look like on the ship.

Stats:
    -12.5 million shield damage per shot, 4s reload
    -requires 5 mil e/sec from the main ship to sustain fire
    -100% beam slave; max cannon range
    -50 mil shields (500k s/sec recharge)
    -1 mil shields @50k s/sec recharge on barrel segment
    -165k mass
    -600m long, 165m wide, 35m tall
    -small secondary missiles, minimal block removal

It is designed as an anti-capital turret, mostly to strip them of shields and let the other turrets physically blast it to smithereens (altough the missiles provide some block damage). I could have added a secondary explosive cannon system but decided not to in order to minimize lag. Not that it matters since there's no good block removal systems for sniper cannons since punch-through was changed, apart from grid outputs which is super laggy.

Hope you like it, leave a comment if you feel like it ^_^. Next up: [classified] or hangar upgrades.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Harbinger looks like it could pass off as a ship of it's own :P

I can see a certain unified style emerging - it's starting to look more and more cohesive and detailed. Well done mate!

Also, congratulations on making councilor!

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Harbinger looks like it could pass off as a ship of it's own :p

I can see a certain unified style emerging - it's starting to look more and more cohesive and detailed. Well done mate!

Also, congratulations on making councilor!
    Thanks mate :D

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The harbinger looks like it has alot more structural integrity than the old one! I think it is the thicker more far-apart barrels that make it look more like the artillery Ship-to-Ship trret it is. Can you post a screen of the docked turret in broadside position (90° to either side)?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The harbinger looks like it has alot more structural integrity than the old one! I think it is the thicker more far-apart barrels that make it look more like the artillery Ship-to-Ship trret it is. Can you post a screen of the docked turret in broadside position (90° to either side)?
    I'll get one tomorrow. Sorry, I completely forgot...

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That is a supermassive, brutal broadside :eek: The barrels alone can probably swat frigates around just by moving.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That is a supermassive, brutal broadside :eek: The barrels alone can probably swat frigates around just by moving.
    Funny that you mention it, because I almost whacked Zanaten 's ship while testing the rotation on the starside server xD.

"brutal" is quite appropriate, lol.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Funny that you mention it, because I almost whacked Zanaten 's ship while testing the rotation on the starside server xD.

"brutal" is quite appropriate, lol.
    Yeah that would have sent some things flying. =P