Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    Your Titan is both inspiring an intimidating. Once I'm done with my 50k and 100k class of ships I'll move on to a titan and ill be sure to stop by here frequently for inspiration.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Projected stats:
    • 500 million alpha damage super weapon.
    • 12x drill silos (can each drill up to 450m into enemy ships).
    • Big ass beam (haven't decided what I want that to do yet)
    • 0.5 thrust/weight ratio
    • 240 million shields, 8 mil regen/second
    • Enough power for all that
    Before you all tell me "impossibru", I made a system blob of the same mass as the Charon (with incomplete systems) and got those stats. Also, the drill missiles are tested, here's what three salvos (from 3 silos) did:

Each of those segments is 150m long, third salvo stopped in the middle of the 10th one. Yes, it drilled through 1.5 km of systems while obliterating something like 50% of the material along the way :p.

Edit: Mariux sorry, I keep forgetting to check....
    It's okay. The weapon seems to be quite similar to the railgun of my Blizzard... I've had something really simmilar planned for the Megantereon, but I guess that would be considered copying.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #22: captain's room.

So, I was originally going to make massive captain's quarters. But then I realized that it didn't follow up very well with the futuristic theme of the ship. So this is what is gonna be replacing the captain's quarters:

What you're seeing is basically (lore wise), a cryotube, advanced medical bay and virtual reality entertainment system smashed together; essentially integrating all the functions of a captain's quarters, medbay and cryogenic room (and looking slightly cooler in the process). And it also saves up space, which is nice xD.

The forcefield walkway only activates when a player enters the room. It's deactivated when no-one is in there.

Here's what the entire thing looks like from a different angle (just to give you a better perspective):
    And for those wondering how I took that last image: actually built the room as a separate entity and copy-pasted it into the ship. Better FPS while building that way (and I hadn't decided where to put it).

Next up will be the reactor rooms and the gravity tube network to connect all that shit up.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #23: Reactor rooms.

The ship is now equipped with twin reactor rooms (one on each side of the ship):

It might be a little hard to see but there's a glass walkway going down the middle of the 'trench'. It's easier to see ingame.

Those walls are actually stacked docked reactors. There's 40 in total (20 in each room), with each reactor supplying around 600k-800k energy to the ship every second. The nice part about it is that it doesn't only look nice, it's also functional! Here's an image of a single reactor:
    There's green light that light up in the middle when it's active (off in the pic). It's easier to tell if it's on or off that way (and it looks cool) :p

Oh, and like BDLS said; If I ever take a hit to the reactors the person shooting is going down with me! (due to the massive collision lagstorm from all the reactors undocking). To be honest the sector and the surroundings would probably turn into a dead-zone. Lore wise I'll just say that the energy contained in the reactors spilled out and started warping time in the vicinity.

Next up: The bridge and the gravity tube network.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Beautiful work as always, the monster has changed quite a bit since I last saw it, looks like it's come a long way and you really made those wing structures work.

Out of curiosity, what's the current dimensions/mass of your beast?

P.S - Those weapon stats give me all kinds of tinglies.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Beautiful work as always, the monster has changed quite a bit since I last saw it, looks like it's come a long way and you really made those wing structures work.

Out of curiosity, what's the current dimensions/mass of your beast?

P.S - Those weapon stats give me all kinds of tinglies.
    Thanks! The wing structures are also turrets now (muahahaha).

I'll check the dimensions. As for the mass, it's mostly empty (for now), so telling you what it is wouldn't be very useful.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1426530099,1426529725][/DOUBLEPOST]Current total dimensions (including turrets):
    z: 1283
    x: 432
    y: 201

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Update #23: Reactor rooms.

The ship is now equipped with twin reactor rooms (one on each side of the ship):

It might be a little hard to see but there's a glass walkway going down the middle of the 'trench'. It's easier to see ingame.

Those walls are actually stacked docked reactors. There's 40 in total (20 in each room), with each reactor supplying around 600k-800k energy to the ship every second. The nice part about it is that it doesn't only look nice, it's also functional! Here's an image of a single reactor:
    That's incredible. Reminds me a lot of this:

Reaction score
    Don't worry keptick, once you give in to the Borg perfection and submit yourself to the hive mind, armies of cyborgs will indeed be spat.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #24: Bridge interior.

Sorry about the hologram looking weird. There's something with glass that makes it look weird from certain angles. This one is better:

SO, the bridge. It's equipped with a 3D holographic display It's totally not crystal armor shhht . The lights in the display fulfill many functions, such as indicating when turrets go missing (that doubles as damage display), indicating if the front of the core room has been breached, indicating if there's a rack in the drone bay, and if it has drones in it, indicating if there's any ships docked in the hangars and finally telling me if all the docked reactors are in place :D. Here's what it looks like when turrets decide to wander off (or get brutally shot off):
    The last little feature is a blast shield that can be closed with a button conveniently integrated into the command seat:

For those wondering how I made the entire thing so fast; I already had most of the bridge built. I just couldn't figure out some things so I always skipped finishing it.
    Oh, and here's some lore/RP for those that like that sort of stuff. It's about the control portion of the bridge;
    The command chair offers a very limited neural link (not nearly as powerful as the core room). So the pilot (me) can issue basic thought commands like go forwards, stop, etc... More complicated stuff is voice controlled. For example "blow up that planet" or "plot a course into the nearest star". The bridge window is also a giant heads-up display (or viewscreen if you prefer that name), replaces computer terminals and un-clutters the field of vision.

Other stuff:
    I added some detail to the back of the ship between the two prongs:

With that all the planned exterior is finished :D (finally). However, that doesn't mean that I'm never going to touch the exterior ever again. The chances that I get a spontaneous idea that'd look better than what's in place are pretty high (that happened with the wing turrets and the back). For instance, I'm probably going to remake the main engine cause I don't really like it, and maybe add some detail to the rest of the ship if I come up with a good idea.

That's it for today, I hope that you like it :D. Next up; the gravity tube network, which is the final missing interior element. Good news is that I already made a copy-paste template for the tubes. Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Update #24: Bridge interior.

Sorry about the hologram looking weird. There's something with glass that makes it look weird from certain angles. This one is better:

SO, the bridge. It's equipped with a 3D holographic display It's totally not crystal armor shhht . The lights in the display fulfill many functions, such as indicating when turrets go missing (that doubles as damage display), indicating if the front of the core room has been breached, indicating if there's a rack in the drone bay, and if it has drones in it, indicating if there's any ships docked in the hangars and finally telling me if all the docked reactors are in place :D. Here's what it looks like when turrets decide to wander off (or get brutally shot off):
    The last little feature is a blast shield that can be closed with a button conveniently integrated into the command seat:

For those wondering how I made the entire thing so fast; I already had most of the bridge built. I just couldn't figure out some things so I always skipped finishing it.

Other stuff:
    I added some detail to the back of the ship between the two prongs:

With that all the planned exterior is finished :D (finally). However, that doesn't mean that I'm never going to touch the exterior ever again. The chances that I get a spontaneous idea that'd look better than what's in place are pretty high (that happened with the wing turrets and the back). For instance, I'm probably going to remake the main engine cause I don't really like it, and maybe add some detail to the rest of the ship if I come up with a good idea.

That's it for today, I hope that you like it :D. Next up; the gravity tube network, which is the final peace of the that I need. Good news is that I already made a copy-paste template for the tubes. Stay tuned for more!
    I love the bridge. Beautiful, badass, dark, and... almost solemn, in a way. Fitting for something that can simply drift through the cosmos, effortlessly spreading death and destruction wherever it goes.

...Where are all the other bridge stations, though? I get that it has AI so it doesn't normally need a full crew, but it would be neat to at least have a few other computer terminals/consoles visible.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Love the bridge, btw apparently forcefields are good for puting inside glass models for lighting because they are invsiible behind glass and can be turned on and off.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I love the bridge. Beautiful, dark, and... almost solemn, in a way. Fitting for something that can simply drift through the cosmos, effortlessly spreading death and destruction wherever it goes.

...Where are all the other bridge stations, though? I get that it has AI so it doesn't normally need a full crew, but it would be neat to at least have a few other computer terminals/consoles visible.
    Thanks! That's exactly the atmosphere I was trying to capture!

Warning: Lore ahead.

The command chair offers a very limited neural link (not nearly as powerful as the core room). So the pilot (me) can issue basic thought commands like go forwards, stop, etc... More complicated stuff is voice controlled. For example "blow up that planet" or "plot a course into the nearest star". The bridge window is also a giant heads-up display (or viewscreen if you prefer that name), replaces computer terminals and un-clutters the field of vision. Every function that would usually be done by normal bridge crew, ranging from turret gunnery to navigation calculation, is done by the AI. /lore

I'll add that to the update post.

@itmauve I tried, but they didn't emit nearly enough light unfortunately. I'm using black crystal armor cause it's more opaque and has a better effect with light. I tried with normal glass, didn't work out.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Should I make the Charon public when it'll be finished? I want to share it. But at the same time, I don't want people to abuse of it on servers. And I REALLY don't want to get some aspects of the game nerfed. What I might do is upload a version without some of the special systems. And reduced shields and super weapon damage (by half).

Any suggestion is welcome.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Should I make the Charon public when it'll be finished? I want to share it. But at the same time, I don't want people to abuse of it on servers. And I REALLY don't want to get some aspects of the game nerfed. What I might do is upload a version without some of the special systems. And reduced shields and super weapon damage (by half).

Any suggestion is welcome.
    the shell! i must have the shell!
    it shall be recristened and integrated into my personal fleet

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Release the shell with the interior but only basic systems (Power, thrust, and reasonable sheilds_

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well if you ask, no dont release the charon. Some things should stay personal, especially things like that.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If think you should release it :) I like to test ships with my sister :D
    Tbh, that's probably what I'll do. I don't expect newbies to be able to afford it on servers anyways, lol.

Unrelated; 90% of the grav tube network is done. The automated transit station is done (thank god).

Last edited: