Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Thalanor Orphaniel I could really detail the sh*t out of it, but that's not really the look I'm going for. I'm intentionally leaving some areas undetailed, not because I'm unable to detail them :p. The very high detail concentration (block by block) is really more located on the "utility" detail areas (the areas that actually represent a working function of the ship), so the engines for example. Dunno, I'm still going to detail some more once the new update comes out, we'll see how it turns out then.

In the mean time, it has the effect of looking exponentially bigger the closer you get;
    "Hey captain! There's a small ship over there, let's attack it!"
    ... (a few moments later after getting closer)
    "NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! *warps out*"

Edit: It really looks bigger in-game tbh.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Well, since you parked it next to some of my publicly available ships earlier, there's a great way for people to get a sense of it's size, I surely do, Rex and The Black are no small playthings, to be sure. The poor souls at Ragnarok Galaxy live in fear of the day I decide to pit one of them against the galaxy again :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Well, since you parked it next to some of my publicly available ships earlier, there's a great way for people to get a sense of it's size, I surely do, Rex and The Black are no small playthings, to be sure. The poor souls at Ragnarok Galaxy live in fear of the day I decide to pit one of them against the galaxy again :)
    LOL, are you even allowed to pilot it? I thought that Ragnarok has strict mass limits. I'd love to play on Ragnarok but unfortunately all my ships have been built outside of the server, and I like my ships (no import :( ). Besides, Charon would be two or three times over the absolute mass limit, lol.

Reaction score
    damn, i did some math, and my cruiser (when finished) would look like a fighter compared to that...

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Well, there are some limits of maximum mass and length, and a limit on the number of capital ships a faction may field.. I've broken all those rules simultaneously, of course - I AM the head admin, so I made most of the rules to start with, I don't really take a direct role in warfare though, I tend to just build off in my own little corner, and most of the stuff I build is for story-lines and the like anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, there are some limits of maximum mass and length, and a limit on the number of capital ships a faction may field.. I've broken all those rules simultaneously, of course - I AM the head admin, so I made most of the rules to start with, I don't really take a direct role in warfare though, I tend to just build off in my own little corner, and most of the stuff I build is for story-lines and the like anyway.
    That sounds really cool. I'd ask to join your server, since I have some awesome plans for modernized warfare in starmade, but the biggest issue is I believe every faction should have that one ship that shows off just how much power their faction has. Mine being around 2km long and being over the 20 million block limit, I highly doubt that it'd be allowed on your server.

Seriously though, in my experience, there's no servers who have common warfare, and those that do tend to use brick ships.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, the ship cap does bother some people, but we have to draw the time somewhere, or we just get a big ongoing arms race. As it stands, I think there's very few ships approaching the mass limit that aren't mine on the server, just because it's more economical for factions to build smaller dreadnoughts and battleships given how the server plays.

But now i'm Hijacking Kep's thread.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

I'm currently making the systems. The way I'm doing it is by "cubifying" the slanted parts of the interior (so basically everything...) in order to have a shell that can be refit very fast. This is the tedious part of the work (seriously... it's a f*cking pain). But once it's done I'll be able to get the proper system ratio I want and easily tweak it if I need to by using advanced build-mode to place down big chunks of it without having to worry about filling in all the holes that occur when using 3D surfaces.

By doing this all the shield blocks are spread out closest to the exterior of the ship, which is optimal for combat. If the shields go down the capacitor blocks are only a hindrance, so it really doesn't matter if they get blown up instead of more critical systems like thrust, power or weapons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    By doing this all the shield blocks are spread out closest to the exterior of the ship, which is optimal for combat. If the shields go down the capacitor blocks are only a hindrance, so it really doesn't matter if they get blown up instead of more critical systems like thrust, power or weapons.
    Do you realy think that there is another behemoth lurkinkg somewhere in the distant galaxy that is actualy capable of destroying your ship?

Oh, and a marvelous job so far.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Do you realy think that there is another behemoth lurkinkg somewhere in the distant galaxy that is actualy capable of destroying your ship?

Oh, and a marvelous job so far.
    With as much effort to make it visually appealing? Probably not. Most people abandon these kinds of projects. However, there's a lot of bricks or crappy piles of system that attain the same size/mass, unfortunately...

The up-side is that they usually don't have very optimal systems or turrets because the maker just slaps as many blocks together as possible without stopping to think if there's a more efficient way of doing it.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The up-side is that they usually don't have very optimal systems or turrets because the maker just slaps as many blocks together as possible without stopping to think if there's a more efficient way of doing it.
    Yeah, that hit me hard when i was attempting to make a 1356m long ship, and to make it worse it almost had no flat surfaces so it was a sad moment to realize that i will not be finishing it, tho i made a drawing of a ship that is inspired somewhat by Star Wars so it has a lot of 45 degree angles and flat armour plates.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, that hit me hard when i was attempting to make a 1356m long ship, and to make it worse it almost had no flat surfaces so it was a sad moment to realize that i will not be finishing it, tho i made a drawing of a ship that is inspired somewhat by Star Wars so it has a lot of 45 degree angles and flat armour plates.
    I think the problem with huge builds is that you get it in your head that you are going to be done with the ship in X amount of time and if you don't hit that mark then you get discouraged with it. I would encourage you to take a step back from your large build to see what you have accomplished. One thing that I did with my own Titan is to run a full length cross section up a copy of it to see just how far I had come.

Don't admit that kind of defeat. The game needs more quality large builds not less. If you need motivation, post it up here and we can start holding one another accountable for completing our large ships.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Don't admit that kind of defeat. The game needs more quality large builds not less. If you need motivation, post it up here and we can start holding one another accountable for completing our large ships.
    I plan on doing that soon.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I plan on doing that soon.
    Good idea, having positive feedback is an excellent motivator. Also, don't look at the whole mountain, just look at the slope in front of you and look back to see how much you've climbed already.

Reactions: Nauvran

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Good idea, having positive feedback is an excellent motivator. Also, don't look at the whole mountain, just look at the slope in front of you and look back to see how much you've climbed already.
    I couldn't agree more. Though be careful with only looking at one place, one might add too much detail to that area.
    Too much detail can be very very bad looking

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ok, the systems are going to have to wait a while because they're a f*cking massive pain to make. Not because of their size, but because of how underpowered my comp is for the task (massive lag spike every time I place down a shield block, they don't render instantly, which isn't productive). I've been planning a new computer for a while now, and should get it built once school ends (in three-four weeks).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Keptick, what are you planning on adding/refitting when the new rail system comes out, and how do you plan on going about it? I ask this because I'm aware there is a small section of this community that has massively detailed capital ships, mine included, and have probably found this new "technology" both a blessing and a curse. I build without weapons, so what it comes down to is the detail I made in the rest of the ship that could have used all these cool features is buried under other detailed areas, and I would have to pull my ship apart to add in moving armor plates, for instance. Right now I believe the extent of my uses for this system will involve interior-to-exterior turrets and docking platforms that fold into the ship hold. What are your ideas?