Character model not facing the way you view - causes problems

Reaction score
    When you press space outside your ship the view auto orients itself. The charachter model however does not, which means I can't get in to my ship because I have a corridor of 1 block wide.

Reaction score
    The character adhears to a specific orientation. It cannot roll. This is how it should be IMO. But on to the solution! You can remove some blocks by right clicking to get to the ship core and then go into build mode using \"Space\" at which point you may place the blocks back. Another thing you can do is buy a block called the \"Gravity Module\" from a shop. Place it on your ship, look at it, and hit R. That will snap you character to the ships orientation. At which point you may pass through your 1 block wide hall.

Hope this helps.

Kinda Sincerely,
    Sir Apple of the Earthshire (A.K.A. Spud)

Reaction score
    AFAIK, its supposed to be that way, make sure when you leave a ship core the ship is oriented \'defaultly flat\' by pressing c in flight mode

Reaction score
    Then I am wondering why it reorients the view to the ship at all, when it doesn\'t reorient the character. To me this doesn\'t make sense. From an interaction design perspective it\'s a disaster. Let me put it this way, scrolling back the view and seeing that the player model orientation in 3rd person was all crooked wasn\'t the first thing I did. The first thing I did was spend ten minutes wondering why I got stuck all the time walking through the ship. At first I solved it by removing blocks and putting them back in build mode as suggested, but this gets very tedious after a while, and it was never the same blocks that needed removing. But it wasn\'t till a day later I thought about scrolling back and seeing what way the model was facing. If I hadn\'t this bug report just would have said. \"I randomly get inexplicably stuck when trying to float around in my ship.\" If it\'s not going to reorient the character model it\'s better to not reorient the view at all. Then you at least know why you are having trouble moving around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Space is a three-dimensional region, through which things can go and face in ANY direction. Therefore your ship is able to turn and rotate and change. HOWEVER, in starmade, there are planets and space stations that are built one way, and one way only. This means that the player model needs to be facing that same way for the thing to make any sense at all. Therefore, Schema set it up so that the character model always puts the \'down\' direction at it\'s feet instead of keeping down relative. As such, the enemy\'s gate is NOT down, down is the direction that your feet pointed before you left the normal gravity of a planet.

Remember that the chances of running into a ship that is aligned the exact same way as yours IRL would be next to null. Movies and Shows only have them face that way for cinematic appeal.

Reaction score
    That\'s part of the problem. The view reorients itself when you do that, but not the character model and it\'s collision volume.