Change FTL mechanics

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    And why not?
    Why would you not be able to fly through enemy faction space? Unless they've actually got something to stop you, you shouldn't get knocked out of warp. A faction block sitting on a chunk of grey hull in the middle of void space shouldn't make you stop traveling through through warp.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why would you not be able to fly through enemy faction space? Unless they've actually got something to stop you, you shouldn't get knocked out of warp. A faction block sitting on a chunk of grey hull in the middle of void space shouldn't make you stop traveling through through warp.
    There's that, and the fact that idiots will spam faction blocks to cause that just for trolling purposes. Imagine half a dozen 12-year-olds on starmade in a faction called "Trollfaceurmomma" or some such nonsense who go around claiming the four systems around every new faction's home base so said faction can't warp in or out. Believe me, something like that will happen, and it'll be worse if the kids are clever enough to hide the faction blocks underground on planets.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There's that, and the fact that idiots will spam faction blocks to cause that just for trolling purposes. Imagine half a dozen 12-year-olds on starmade in a faction called "Trollfaceurmomma" or some such nonsense who go around claiming the four systems around every new faction's home base so said faction can't warp in or out. Believe me, something like that will happen, and it'll be worse if the kids are clever enough to hide the faction blocks underground on planets.
    That can be handled by admin power. And do you really want a future where people can warp through your space and pop up right next to your home? That would suck.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That can be handled by admin power. And do you really want a future where people can warp through your space and pop up right next to your home? That would suck.
    Actually they can already do that. They just show up in normal space a few sectors away before they do. With sustained warp, scanners would have to detect ships in warp.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420594078,1420594020][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That can be handled by admin power.
    yeah, right.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Actually they can already do that. They just show up in normal space a few sectors away before they do. With sustained warp, scanners would have to detect ships in warp.
    I feel ships dropping out of warp upon faction space would be the best solution, but a compromise would be some sort of weapon with a multi sector range that can drop ships out of warp.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I feel ships dropping out of warp upon faction space would be the best solution, but a compromise would be some sort of weapon with a multi sector range that can drop ships out of warp.
    I've already suggested that on anther thread. The device's range follows the same rules as a scanner and has measures to keep it from being spammed.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why not make it so you drop out of warp _before_ hitting enemy space unless you got enough warp left to _skip it completely_?

Also it would be very unlikely that you ever drop out in front of a 8x8x8+more cube of sectors given how big the star-made universe is.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Valiant70

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Why not make it so you drop out of warp _before_ hitting enemy space unless you got enough warp left to _skip it completely_?

Also it would be very unlikely that you ever drop out in front of a 8x8x8 cube of sectors given how big the star-made universe is.
    16x16x16.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Or just make border sectors not protected by automatic warp interdiction...

16x16x16.
    Costs faction points, or not?
    Also you need to claim 3x3x3 - 1x1x1 else peoples could warp out diagonally :p

I used 8x8x8 more as an example of territory-bulks which are annoying to get around since you can't warp through.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Or just make border sectors not protected by automatic warp interdiction...

Costs faction points, or not?
    Also you need to claim 3x3x3 - 1x1x1 else peoples could warp out diagonally :p

I used 8x8x8 more as an example of territory-bulks which are annoying to get around since you can't warp through.
    Systems are 16x16x16. That's what I'm saying. You can't even claim individual sectors.

Just claimed systems shouldn't drop you out of FTL. You should need something additional beyond one faction module floating in the middle of nowhere. Some sort of interdiction system that can be mounted on stations and ships.