Change Build Blocks?

Reaction score
    So as it is at this time any new player can buy a build block and fly to any planet/station/ect. and just place it and enter "Advanced Build Mode" and harvest the hole place! I think this ruins the meaning of the Salvage Cannons! They also can kill the economy of the server buy selling all of that and instantly making 274872010709781270127498272984710984 Credits!...

Now i am not saying remove the build block! I am saying make it so they can't be exploited in this way. Maybe make it a option in the servers settings or make it a hard coded thing.

Reaction score
    Changing the build block like that would make it difficult to terraform a planet. When the new planets get implemented, more people will probably want to build bases on them.
    A server side option for how many blocks can be harvested over a certain amount of time might work though.

Reaction score
    I like the block over time, perhaps every minute of time when server is online, the build block will allow you to harvest 1 more block that wasnt placed by players. So you would have to wait along time for a planet to be harvested like that

Reaction score
    Rocketman, unfortunately the Build Block IS going to be changed eventually. Im pretty sure they've discussed it in the Q&A, and over 3 quarters of starmade players realize it's a big problem that essentially turns Starmade from a survival into a creative mode. This topic has been discussed A LOT, and there's many different solutions to the problem.

As SaturnsVoid pointed out, it definetly ruins the challenge and economy to Starmade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I believe the currently purposed solution is a requirement to 'own' the planet for a period of time. And then owning the planet costed 'faction points', - so it wasn't a measly investment. Feels like that should solve the problem, while still allowing you to do whatever you wanted to planets.
    On a related note - Build blocks with these new segmented planets are probably gonna work differently too. - I imagine you'd need the build block on the segment your working on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I believe the problem is more one of salvagers vs. build blocks. Either make the mass delete slower of or individual salvage beams spread out more for a higher yield and players will naturally gravitate to salvagers.

Reaction score
    Whats wrong with my idea, in 24 hours they can remove 1440 blocks, and if you remove build block, its for the structure, so you would beed to claim a planet/station for along time to clear it out, where my mini salvager does 200 blocks persecond, so salvager to the win

Reaction score
    Whats wrong with my idea, in 24 hours they can remove 1440 blocks, and if you remove build block, its for the structure, so you would beed to claim a planet/station for along time to clear it out, where my mini salvager does 200 blocks persecond, so salvager to the win
    Well I mean you might as well remove the ability for the player to remove non-player placed blocks from build blocks if you're only getting 1 block a minute, which is frustratingly slow :/. I personally vote for the idea Schema had in mind originally, sounds like it can't be abused, and it's overall balanced

Reaction score
    Different numbers then maybe, 1 block every 30 seconds or 10,

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Speaking in terms of math:

• If a build block had a 1/sec delay between deletions it could at maximum size delete 1,000 blocks/1 second
    • At 10 blocks long salvage cannons have a .45 second salavge time or 2 blocks / second
    • You would need 500 x 10 block long salvage cannons to match this speed.
    • To install these cannons in the facing of a ship you would need a 25 x 40 block wide surface area. That is accounting for the spacing needed to separate the cannons. Assuming we need other systems, which really don't ( any number of salvage cannons can be run with 1 power block ) The gaps give us an extra 5,000 blocks of space for power, shields, thrusters, core, and computer.

There you have it, with just a 1 second delay a modest sized corvette could match the speed of a build block.

Reactions: Zovc
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well I mean you might as well remove the ability for the player to remove non-player placed blocks from build blocks if you're only getting 1 block a minute, which is frustratingly slow :/. I personally vote for the idea Schema had in mind originally, sounds like it can't be abused, and it's overall balanced
    make your own thread about this, its a good idea!

Reaction score
    Speaking in terms of math:

• If a build block had a 1/sec delay between deletions it could at maximum size delete 1,000 blocks/1 second
    • At 10 blocks long salvage cannons have a .45 second salavge time or 2 blocks / second
    • You would need 500 x 10 block long salvage cannons to match this speed.
    • To install these cannons in the facing of a ship you would need a 25 x 40 block wide surface area. That is accounting for the spacing needed to separate the cannons. Assuming we need other systems, which really don't ( any number of salvage cannons can be run with 1 power block ) The gaps give us an extra 5,000 blocks of space for power, shields, thrusters, core, and computer.
    There you have it, with just a 1 second delay a modest sized corvette could match the speed of a build block.
    You can remove up to 8000 blocks per click if you use symmetry mode with the build block

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like objects which have BBs to build up BB potential.
    • 1 minute since first BB placement = 1 block per second.
    • 1 minute without BB = -1 block per second.
    • If player leaves the sector, thus the sector unloads from memory: bbPotential = (( (NOW - last.timestamp) * (has BB & +1 | -1) + last.BBPotential )) >= 0

Reaction score
    Changing the build block like that would make it difficult to terraform a planet. When the new planets get implemented, more people will probably want to build bases on them.
    A server side option for how many blocks can be harvested over a certain amount of time might work though.
    Terraforming a planet will be a pain in the ass, since (as far as i could see in the video) every face of the planet is a seperate entity/planet and you would only be able to edit one face at a time

Reaction score
    Terraforming a planet will be a pain in the ass, since (as far as i could see in the video) every face of the planet is a seperate entity/planet and you would only be able to edit one face at a time
    This brings up another issue.. if the segments are technically separate, if you claim the planet as a faction base, will it actually only claim that particular segment? That could get messy..

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This brings up another issue.. if the segments are technically separate, if you claim the planet as a faction base, will it actually only claim that particular segment? That could get messy..

Personally I like this. Two or more factions could co-exist or not on the same planet. And then one day it talks break down and d1000's start getting spammed from segment to segment! At the very least only one segment of a planet would be faction home, making you need shields and guns on the other segments you install a faction block on.

Reaction score
    Yeah that's the first thing i thought of when i saw the new planets as well

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    You can remove up to 8000 blocks per click if you use symmetry mode with the build block
    So you scale the delay up to 8 seconds depending on the number of symmetry plans used. 8 seconds still isn't bad.

Reaction score
    so its still 1000 a sec, but scaled up, but problem with that, is what if im not using symmetry, on my planet, I tore out a large ish chunk for a build in hangar. I have yet to put a roof on it, but I have to go out and sell some the of the minerals and rocks I used in that area. So I did use BB to get those stuff, but I had to clear it out.