Change armor to division instead of percentage

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Right now armor is percentage-based: Each block type has an armor value, and that determines the percentage of damage that is ignored.
    I think that armor should be a division-based system, damage getting divided by the block's armor value instead of having a chunk taken out of it.
    Here are the benefits:
    A much faster calculation
    Better armor values. Right now you can't have a damage reducition of 40, because there is no integer percentage value that allows that. This system would allow that.
    It would allow admins to have a global multipler for armor that would allow them to balance hull versus shields depending on the expected size of ships on the server.

The downside is that small guns become useless. I do have a workaround but it creates a weird damage effect.
    The idea is that there will be a value for nullified damage so blocks will eventually take damage. This damage will either be per-entity or per-chunk, not per-block. So HP = HP - (damage + nulled) /armor and nulled = (damage + nulled) % armor. The weird damage effect will come into play when two small guns are shooting at two different blocks on the same ship - one block may keep taking damage while the other doesn't.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I don´t think if I have understood you right, so I´m asking...
    You want to sum up all the armor from the ship and if one block is hit it should only take damage if the damage is higher than the ships whole armor?

Reaction score
    No. Will edit the OP to be clearer about that.
    At first thanks for editing :)
    So you would rather see my plasma cannon damage is reduced by your ships hull like, I really don´t know how this is calculated in real so its just an example, 700/150 instead of 700-150?
    I think that woul make it impossible to destroy big ships, even if their shields are already down...
    Just imagine your core is mantled by five blocks in each direction it would make a damage of 700/150/150/150/150/150=~ 9.218 x10^(-9) which is (I hope I get all 0´s) =0.000000009218 damage per hit

Hope I understood you right this time but I don´t think that would be a good idea...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Currently it's HP = HP - damage * (100 - armor) / 100. In other words, the value of armor is the percentage of the incoming damage that is ignored. The reason I don't like this is that because the armor value is also an integer there is a limit to the max armor and it isn't scalable.