Chairs n' Viewscreens... And stuff?

Do you support this suggestion?

• Yes!

Votes: 85 87.6%
    • Some of it. (Please specify in a post)

Votes: 11 11.3%
    • No!

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I want chairs and autopilot. Viewscreens can wait.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Viewscreens and autopilot would just be an added bonus, chairs are what we really need. Imagine how satisfying it would be to be able to go up to your bridge and take a seat in your captains chair (Maybe even add a small sitting animation? lol), or go to your core room and see your core encased in glass like a Star-Trek style warp core.

Can I +1000 this?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really wish signs could merge into one giant sign.
    Make the text size really big so you can only fit a few letters on each screen, then place several screens next to each other so you can display complete words.

... or heck, maybe you could be able to link your sign(s) to a cockpit and have a view monitor that way! (With a text overlay if you wish)
    I LOVE this idea.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Make the text size really big so you can only fit a few letters on each screen, then place several screens next to each other so you can display complete words.
    Ah, the Minecraft Long Sign Trick. But that's a workaround, and not what I meant at all. I meant that adjacent groups of same-oriented signs would combine into a single long sign, editable as one giant text field. (Or, assuming a link to a cockpit, one giant text 'HUD' overlay.)

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    a0.6 and we still lack our seating :( I guess people couldn't chair less...

I know it's a whole set of animations and stuff, as well as programming it and making sure seated entities don't glitch out like docked ships used to but it'd be nice to be able to sit down and chill before we click on the FTL drive. (the next planned feature)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    a0.6 and we still lack our seating :( I guess people couldn't chair less...

I know it's a whole set of animations and stuff, as well as programming it and making sure seated entities don't glitch out like docked ships used to but it'd be nice to be able to sit down and chill before we click on the FTL drive. (the next planned feature)
    Chairs (and associated features) would probably have to be the subject of a major update... I'd wait until mid-beta to start whining about them being missing, but it is a shame. :P

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Mid-beta seems a bit late to me. I'd say it should come at the late end of alpha at latest. It is a pretty major missing feature, and the differences between that and the current system could be likened to the difference between old crafting and the new system - same function, same overarching principle, but very different mechanics.

The crafting update gave us new machines, materials, and recipes while retaining the idea that stuff is made with factories and removing the idea of random recipes.

The chair update would retain the function of current computers and such, but introduce a whole new way of accessing them, while hopefully removing the ability to morph your character into a floppy disk and jump into a weapon control computer.

The changes seem to me to be of similar magnitude.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Oh man, all these ideas are so good, I just hope they get put into the game someday. I'd just die of awesomeness

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    All the yes to the idea of Chairs, I believe our player characters have been alternating between standing or contorting ourselves like a contortionist into 1m x 1m spaces ever since like.. 2012. How dreadful.

This is a lovely space game and one of the best I've played.. Every ship i built is done with wedge 'chairs' in preparation for the chair block's existence. And yes I agree its a major missing feature for a space game. Things like a chair are usually implemented pretty early on in the development of games like this.

Reaction score
    Theres been many good suggestions on chairs, ive even thrown in my own two cents. From models, to linking, to core replacement and supplementing and veiwscreens (we have screens now... maybe they'll be linkable to "cockpits/cameras" one day?)
    These are things that have had thought put into them by the community and the Schine team, rest assured, eventually a chair of some sort (or various types) will be in the game, so thank you for the suggestions, they will be of great value when we come around to implement this mechanic!

Reaction score
    Theres been many good suggestions on chairs, ive even thrown in my own two cents. From models, to linking, to core replacement and supplementing and veiwscreens (we have screens now... maybe they'll be linkable to "cockpits/cameras" one day?)
    These are things that have had thought put into them by the community and the Schine team, rest assured, eventually a chair of some sort (or various types) will be in the game, so thank you for the suggestions, they will be of great value when we come around to implement this mechanic!
    Pre beta release or post? Or too early to say? Please be alpha...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, I really would like to see this sometime soon, even before things like more survival features. Since you guys seem to be trying to get all base ship mechanics in before survival features, for better or worse... Plus custom/non-block model loading would be nice to have integrated, though I'm not sure if chairs should be non-block models or just invisible blocks.

...Your response is welcome and encouraging nonetheless, Cal. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having an alternative to just folding yourself in a core is very much welcome, and I even have to partially agree with @Ithirahad that it is best to get this in before there are more survival features, although the world generation still needs some working on first. (Having more asteroids in bigger sector sizes, having the new "rocks" spawn on planets, etc.)

Edit: Don't forget the definite edition of new default stations, and FTL of course.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Meh, FTL can wait until after we get a full universe revamp update, actually... Default stations can be added after the (hopefully easy) full station blueprint implementation so that's not much of an issue. Personally, what I'd like to see is:

1. Default stations, station turret bug fix, full survival implementation of station blueprints
    2. Chairs, possibly support for custom modeled 'blocks' in mods, ship HP system/armor improvements/whatever
    3. Particle system finally finished/implemented
    4. Contest for moar pirate and Trading Guild ships! Isanth-0's are coolsauce, but they're... monotonous after a while. We need more.
    5. Full universe revamp, FTL
    6. Moar cool stuffs.

Last edited: