Catching Fire

Reaction score
    I love that nebulae are planned but I was wonder if there could also be something that plays on the nebula concept. Would a chemical fire effect on an over heating ship be viable? It would certainly make ship destruction more gratifying. I'm not meaning fire damage but the look of flames and maybe halved vision in a sector some sort of grey haze to represent the smoke from the burning ship that covers the entire sector. It would help decrease the graphical demand of larger fleet engagements and create a more cinematic feel to combat.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I love that nebulae are planned but I was wonder if there could also be something that plays on the nebula concept. Would a chemical fire effect on an over heating ship be viable? It would certainly make ship destruction more gratifying. I'm not meaning fire damage but the look of flames and maybe halved vision in a sector some sort of grey haze to represent the smoke from the burning ship that covers the entire sector. It would help decrease the graphical demand of larger fleet engagements and create a more cinematic feel to combat.
    Something like that would probably have been thought up by the devs with nebulae. If I were to guess how they would implement it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I doubt your first suggestion (fire) would be viable. How big would it look? How many blocks would it spread out to? Would it have any damage?

But the second one... (hazy vision) That's something. Maybe navigation tab and general visibility becomes vague. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll start a thread on that :)

Reactions: JumpSuit
    Reaction score
    I said non-damaging flames, and the flames should cover a random portion of ship and stay the same until the ship is saved or disappears. The flames would not need to lick out very far just give a nice strong light source to pick it out in the haze. Maybe a colored beacon light that couldn't be replicated anywhere else in the game.

diremage

Tech Wizard
    Reaction score
    Make a 'fire' beacon block, ingredient is wood. Replace random clusters of blocks in an overheating ship with fire blocks (or lava if the devs are feeling lazy).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some good ideas here. I would be all behind plasma arcs etc on heavily damaged or overloading ships.
    Having navigation disruption/lightning arcs in sectors would be awesome as well :3
    Think like gas arcs on stars: (except on ships)