Casual's perspective of the forum war

Reaction score
    I am a casual player who has been playing starmade on and off for the past year or so.

Logging onto the forums after a while and seeing the ridiculous war on admins going on is... nauseating.

The first thing that stands out to me is people are taking a agme WAY to seriously. Ok, some mods don't like your opinions or the opinion you represent, and they are biased. And that sucks.

But to see people wasting so much time fighting a flame war like this is frankly extremely off-putting to a casual, which is ironic because half the war seems to draw debate points from "What would casuals think of _____, or your actions _____. How to you expect the game to grow and attract more players when you _____."

The first thing that runs through my mind is: "wow, this game community is really toxic, I better just stay a random casual nobody and build ships in sp every once in a while and not get seriously into this game."

The second thing that runs through my mind is: "wow, these people are putting a ton of pretentious effort into a political war focused around a game FORUM, not even the game.

I am pretty sure these reactions are the exact reactions that each side accuses the other side of inspiring, using as a campaign platform. However, to a casual, each side is just as ridiculous as the other. If you really want to better the community like you all claim, the best thing all of you could do is relax and just play the game for what it is: a GAME.

Most of us casuals log onto a game like starmade to get our mind of our problems, not get caught up in a virtual political war. So everybody chill out, the best thing you could do for the starmade community is do nothing--fighting a flame war in a video game forum is cancerous, no matter what game it is and what side you are fighting for.

TL;DR: a casual's perspective of the current flame war, everybody chill out and just have fun playing starmade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    Hate to break it to you but it has nothing to do with the game.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    To be clear, the arguments happening are to do with the current moderation team, and the unfair, unjustified and biased actions they're taking against certain members of the community.

The game itself is a buggy mess, but it's still great fun to play.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The second thing that runs through my mind is: "wow, these people are putting a ton of pretentious effort into a political war focused around a game FORUM, not even the game. These people are absolute losers and need to get a life."
    You gave some really good feedback and that is great. In the future it may be a good idea to avoid statements like this, despite the fact that you are describing your thoughts and not directly attributing. I'm sure the people you are referring to don't think of themselves as losers and it gets in the way of what I feel is good and genuine feedback.

Reaction score
    You could enter the club that rants about rants.
    Then try to go deeper?
    Or you know just ignore the forums because it can be more fun to find the new meta ships on your own and if you like aesthetics you can become the best at ship aesthetics without ever going close to the forums.
    But it depends on which way to interact with the community you like the most.
    If you like using forums then just avoid the suggestion thread and the general discussion thread and you will see nearly no flame wars or rants or rants about rants or rants about rants about rants.

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree with OP. As a 4+ year veteran this shit has gone from an amusing sidebar to an extremely embarrassing, inescapable nightmare. I don't want to rant about rants but the damage both parties are doing to what little community we have here is downright self-destructive.

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Likeable
    Rule number 1 of a troll... If you find nothing wrong with the statement you move on to grammar...

Rule number 1 of NOT a troll... If you find a troll, and want to be amused, make him look more stupid than he already is.

Non

Reaction score
    Inescapable? Do you not know that Google is a thing?
    No, I mean how the hell is this inescapable? You have a right to be here, and to have an opinion, but to say you can't escape by just turning your computer off, leaving the website, or avoiding the threads in question is a straight up lie. Or maybe you just aren't capable of navigating a computer, idk.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No, I mean how the hell is this inescapable? You have a right to be here, and to have an opinion, but to say you can't escape by just turning your computer off, leaving the website, or avoiding the threads in question is a straight up lie. Or maybe you just aren't capable of navigating a computer, idk.
    I'd say he's finding ironic that you describe the very escapable situation we're in at the moment as inescapable.
    It is absolutely inescapable if you want to use the SMD to, you know, learn about and engage with Starmade and its community. I want to be here, I want Starmade to be the best that it can be. It is impossible to escape the fucking drama without escaping Starmade entirely.

Reaction score
    It is absolutely inescapable if you want to use the SMD to, you know, learn about and engage with Starmade and its community. I want to be here, I want Starmade to be the best that it can be. It is impossible to escape the fucking drama without escaping Starmade entirely.
    Some dude said that you just don't use the general discussion and suggestions forum, then you can use smd with 90% less drama and unconstructive talking. That's what I am going to do.

If you post something and it's not conforming the loud guys right now, you get instantly 20 disagreeing replies supporting each other.

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    replies supporting each other
    This is a forum. A forum is where you make a post and people comment on said post.
    Forums are sites based on commenting, communicating and interaction. If you don't like people replying to stuff you've said then don't post it on a PUBLIC FORUM.
    Just because one person has voiced an opinion you have does not mean you have to bite your tongue and not reply as well. EVERYONE has the right to use this forum as intended and that is communication and interaction as its a FORUM.
    I am honestly tired of this blatant support of shadow censorship.
    You wouldn't say any of this if many people were just agreeing with what you have said. Its a gross double standard.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The arguments all stem from the PVE crowd constantly conflicting with the PVP crowd, both are extremly passionate about the game but both having wildly different perspectives on what the game is, and what it should be

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The arguments all stem from the PVE crowd constantly conflicting with the PVP crowd, both are extremly passionate about the game but both having wildly different perspectives on what the game is, and what it should be
    All PvE content in starmade can be done with a 1k mass ship. Not only is it extremely easy, there's barely any of it. PvP is the only area of the game that requires effort and understanding of system mechanics. So if there is a conflict between PvE players and PvP players on system balance, guess who should be listened to.

Reaction score
    I really don't understand why that is the case. What is there to disagree on? NPC factions will get added upon soon, which is great for PvP and PvE players alike, and I see no reason why adding more depth to multiplayer faction conflict/interaction would conflict with the interests of someone who just wants to sit in the outer rim regions of a galaxy and pick apart pirate stations lol.

Why cannot both gameplay styles be encouraged at the same time? Where is the overlap where one type of playstyle is getting limited by another?

Reactions: Ony126 and Lynx_