Carved mineral crafting exploit?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I harvested a Sugil asteroid and turned the Sugil into capsules. For each Sugil block I received 30 Sugil capsules from the capsule refinery. I then turned those 30 capsules into a Carved Sugil block. I then sold the carved Sugil for 90 credits each. Basically I turned a 3 credit Sugil block into a 90 credit Carved Sugil block with basically no effort. It seems to be the same with all the carved minerals. Is this an easy credit generator, or are the shop prices messed up?

Reaction score
    It isn't an exploit, it is just convenient because you get so many when mining ores from asteroids. I actually think the new economy is a bit harsh, although part of that could be due to the salvage beams high power use: bugs.star-made.org/issues/1242

Reaction score
    Great way for the new player to work on getting his first million, and makes him experiment with the factory system. All good.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Production ratio indeed might be a bit off, but it's up to server owners to decide if they're wary about that. In most cases Carved blocks are valid middle-ground between mining raw rocks with starter ships and making yourself a decent not-so-starter ship.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked was most the other value chains that I have used such as raw materials -> hull -> standard armor -> advanced armor only add maybe 10% value to the produced goods. Whereas mineral -> carved mineral adds like 1500% value to the produced goods. That's one AWESOME profit margin!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's one thing to know you can make it, but another to be able to sell it. With the lower shop count (default in the new universe), it doesn't take long for these types of blocks to fill up in the shops, and nobody wants to buy them. You're left with stacks of blocks that are 1500% higher value than what they were crafted from, but in reality worth nothing because you can't sell it without going into deep, deep space.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's one thing to know you can make it, but another to be able to sell it. With the lower shop count (default in the new universe), it doesn't take long for these types of blocks to fill up in the shops, and nobody wants to buy them...
    Hmm, this depends what happens with the restocking of shops from time to time. I haven't yet noticed that happening in my universe, but it could very well be the maxed out stocks are taken away as well. I've seen lots of trader movements and convoys already of more then ten ships in my system, so there's visible action in that department at least that I haven't noticed in previous versions. ;)

In any case I think that manufacturing is one of the things that crafting should be about, apart from just building parts for personal ship creation. Maybe 1500% profit is a bit steep, but using raw materials to create something to sell that's not directly used for ship or station building is one of the reasons for crafting if you ask me.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hmm, this depends what happens with the restocking of shops from time to time. I haven't yet noticed that happening in my universe, but it could very well be the maxed out stocks are taken away as well.
    This would be new if they do take stocks away. I've not seen this happen to date. If anything they were adding more and causing overstocking.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Logically items that are bought by shops should go into the economic chain in my opinion, if that does happen at the moment already I don't know. I do know that there are also a lot of block types the shops won't buy from you, I've got a chest with at least twelve different kinds of earth that are what I call rubbish and won't be accepted by shops, they're mostly found in looted plexboxes.

Greets,

Jan

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Sounds like a serious bug.

Reaction score
    1 block of sugil has base value of 1 credit
    it is refined to 30 capsules with each worth base value 1 credit
    the capsule are processed into 1 carved sugil worth base value of 30

the problem with this is that we cannot go any cheaper than 1 credit or the fact that we receive 30 capsules and base value is calculated using the price of all materials used in production

the 90 credits you received is purely down to the variation in shop price

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ...the 90 credits you received is purely down to the variation in shop price.
    Yup, as far as I found out up till now shop prices vary from base, e.g. 1, to 3 times the base value. In other words it pays to find the higher paying ones to sell your stuff, loot, or whatever you want to call it. ;)

What doesn't seem to be implemented yet is that prices drop when the stacks in the shops near the max amount in stock though.
    Personally I feel the buying prices in shops should be lower then the selling price, or at least vary depending on the available stack sizes, but that's probably something planned in the future.

Greets

Jan

Reaction score
    Hmm, this depends what happens with the restocking of shops from time to time. I haven't yet noticed that happening in my universe, but it could very well be the maxed out stocks are taken away as well. I've seen lots of trader movements and convoys already of more then ten ships in my system, so there's visible action in that department at least that I haven't noticed in previous versions. ;)

In any case I think that manufacturing is one of the things that crafting should be about, apart from just building parts for personal ship creation. Maybe 1500% profit is a bit steep, but using raw materials to create something to sell that's not directly used for ship or station building is one of the reasons for crafting if you ask me.

Greets,

Jan
    I have never seen any trader movements in my single player game, other than the traders I spawn in with pirates to watch a good fight.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have never seen any trader movements in my single player game, other than the traders I spawn in with pirates to watch a good fight.
    Well, I was mining an asteroid the other day minding my own business when suddenly I was surrounded by ships. I half and half expected to be blown to smithereens, but it was a convoy of traders, no pirates as I feared. ;)
    I can assure you I didn't spawn them in, I never use administrator commands for game play in single-player.

Greets,

Jan