Cargo

Reaction score
    PROBLEM: As we know the great developers of this wonderful game have implemented a cargo system. One of the key issues of contention that I have seen is the limited space and the fact that it says in the startup menu that in the future update we will need 20 times the amount of cargo spaces we already have.

SUGGESTION: I suggest keeping the cargo as it is right now and upgrading the max player inventory cargo limit. This for me is to help those players who are intent on making large-scale ships. This may involve an improvement from 2k inventory to 10 or 20k storage.

REASON: As someone who manages a semi-large faction I am concerned with not having anywhere to put my newly needed cargo spaces. Seeing as I already have around 200k cargo spaces on my base that means I will require 20 times more than I already have this leaves me at needing a grand total of 4,000,000 cargo spaces. This to me seems quite ridiculous and resource intensive.

LAST WORDS: Thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion. This may or may not affect your overall decision regarding this new feature but I hope that you were at least interested in what I had to say.

Reaction score
    There's actually a cool solution for player inventory size limit that came with the cargo update. Create a storage module with cargo and then take note in the top right of the storage module, there's a button for "use as personal storage". Enabling this essentially makes your personal storage have the capacity of that cargo space :)

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ^^ Good advice. It's even better because it has a range of one sector (at the moment).

Reaction score
    Can it be attached to a ship's cargo? If so that would make it portable.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The option to be a personal cargo is availible for all storage you build - at least for all i was building - ship - station - asteroid. It even has some additional need features, like overriding the hotbar while the storage is selected (1. set a storage as personal storage 2. select storage in your inventory -> Your hotbar is a new one - deactivate it: The hotbar is the old one). I have actually space for my lasers now. Yay.

Reaction score
    The option to be a personal cargo is availible for all storage you build - at least for all i was building - ship - station - asteroid. It even has some additional need features, like overriding the hotbar while the storage is selected (1. set a storage as personal storage 2. select storage in your inventory -> Your hotbar is a new one - deactivate it: The hotbar is the old one). I have actually space for my lasers now. Yay.
    Ok that is cool. I haven't played with it much but that sounds nice.

Reaction score
    I'm more concerned with the fact that I will need 20 TIMES more cargo spaces than I already have. I have absolutely no more space to put another 3,800,000 cargo space blocks.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm more concerned with the fact that I will need 20 TIMES more cargo spaces than I already have. I have absolutely no more space to put another 3,800,000 cargo space blocks.
    So far I think it's fine. I'm loving it. The biggest problem we've seen is capsules. One block produces like 30 capsules that are each 0.01.. And it balloons. You always have the option to change your configs to fit more later.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Be creative then with how you place them, hide them in floors of ships covered with slabs, or just expand your station out more to hold extra storage.

Reaction score
    No, you people seem to not understand the problem. I play on servers not single player. Not to mention the amount of resources it sucks to create so many blocks, especially when the resources needed for the cargo spaces are required for so many other important things. You cannot be more creative with where you place them when you have to dock ships, turrets and other projects to your station as well. The sheer amount of space they already take up is quite ridiculous. That and the constant disappearing and reappearing of blocks on your servers with 30+ people on at any one time creates massive lag as I have seen on my server already.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The following was said in the patch notes except your 20x comment. (Where did you get that? That is completely contradictory to what the devs have stated.)
    1. "the balance is by no means final"
    2. It is "at the lower end", meaning internal volume space of cargo is expected to go up, not down. Requiring less cargo blocks, not more.
    Also, it has been stated that the external volume of blocks is only a placeholder, currently set to the mass of the block. A lot of things are going to take up less storage space then they do currently. Again, requiring less cargo blocks, not more.

As for the lag I keep hearing about, I'm thinking it's a video card issue and should be forwarded to the bug tracker. I don't get the lag and I play StarMade on a rather old system. Then again, I also don't have 10 million rocks in my storage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    No, you people seem to not understand the problem. I play on servers not single player. Not to mention the amount of resources it sucks to create so many blocks, especially when the resources needed for the cargo spaces are required for so many other important things. You cannot be more creative with where you place them when you have to dock ships, turrets and other projects to your station as well. The sheer amount of space they already take up is quite ridiculous. That and the constant disappearing and reappearing of blocks on your servers with 30+ people on at any one time creates massive lag as I have seen on my server already.
    Actually I do understand the problem. And I doubt that it is that hard to get enough resources for cargo spaces when they only cost 2 alloyed metal mesh and 2 crystal composite to make per block, essentially the same as making two grey hull blocks. Again I point out here that whether you are on a multiplayer server or single player, it is very very easy to add onto an existing station so as to add more slots to cargo.

Reaction score
    You...You are on my server...This problem is actually just a server thing apparently.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    PROBLEM: As we know the great developers of this wonderful game have implemented a cargo system. One of the key issues of contention that I have seen is the limited space and the fact that it says in the startup menu that in the future update we will need 20 times the amount of cargo spaces we already have.

SUGGESTION: I suggest keeping the cargo as it is right now and upgrading the max player inventory cargo limit. This for me is to help those players who are intent on making large-scale ships. This may involve an improvement from 2k inventory to 10 or 20k storage.

REASON: As someone who manages a semi-large faction I am concerned with not having anywhere to put my newly needed cargo spaces. Seeing as I already have around 200k cargo spaces on my base that means I will require 20 times more than I already have this leaves me at needing a grand total of 4,000,000 cargo spaces. This to me seems quite ridiculous and resource intensive.

LAST WORDS: Thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion. This may or may not affect your overall decision regarding this new feature but I hope that you were at least interested in what I had to say.
    Have you realized that a player inventory of like 5 MILLION units is just a few button clicks away already, like, under the current system? Like, have you played with it at all?