Recognized Cargo Modules for Storage Blocks

Reaction score
    With this suggestion the capacity of Storage Blocks would be dependent on how many Cargo Modules are connected to a Storage Block. The system would work like Weapon Computer/Module configurations.

Things would indeed become a bit more complicated. But this change would make it possible to have dedicated Transport Vessels with big Cargo Holds. In fights, those ships would slowly lose cargo as they would lose their transport capacity.

In my opinion this change would make the game more interesting, realistic and strategic which is rarely a bad thing :)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    adjustments to storage and cargo will most likely happen if a limit is placed on how many blocks you can have in one stack. at the moment there's no limit so your transport vessel wouldn't have to be that big to hold enough storage modules capable of holding every block in the game.

Reaction score
    Bench, how is that different from what it is now?

I use a single named 'drop off' module and then have (arbitrary number) of other modules that pull all from it. I think I've already created a system that does what you state as an objection, so - does the idea have merits otherwise? I think it does.

my system works like this :

Drop off cargo [ ]
    Junk storage cargos (10+ cargo boxes, pulls all from drop off and from one another, in a big circle) [ 1 ] -> [ 2 ] -> [ 3 ] -> [ 1 ]...
    Named sorting storage, pulls from junk boxes with named pulls (advanced armor, modules, lights, resources)

This way everything gets stacked, and I can drop items off into the drop off cargo box, and it is constantly emptied.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    yeah, it's all achievable right now, so expansion modules to give your storage modules more capacity is pointless at this point in time.

Reaction score
    Currently Schema wants to keep player inventory stack sizes unlimited. We have discussed less slots, limited (and expandable) stack sizes, linkable (with the ship and docked entities) storage systems (in fact, check the last release notes for info on ships accessing their storage blocks).

I don't have the link for it, but another player made a very nice visual representation of this (or a very similar suggestion) cargo system.
    If someone could find that and link it, much appreciated!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/new-cargo-system.719/
    Here you go. I remembered it because I know Schema posed on the thread. Anyway, adding to it, different types of cargo storage for different things, like bulk storage, which only has one slot but more capacity, or making the ability for storages to have only certain types of blocks (so ore containers, or when fuel is added)