Cargo docking modules

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Players have wished for a way to automatically transfer cargo from one ship/station to another.

Cargo docking modules behave like normal docking modules, except they don't allow chain docking. They only behave different if both the docked ship and the mothership have at least one PlexStorage on board.
    I suggest having 2 types of cargo docking modules: the LoadingDockingModule and the UnloadingDockingModule.(both can be extended using a CargoDockExtender or maybe a normal docking extender)

The LoadingDockingModule takes items from PlexStorages on the mothership and places them in a PlexStorage on the docked ship. This process could use energy for every transported item.

The UnloadingDockingModule reverses the process and takes items from the PlexStorages in the docked ship and places them in the mothership. Again at a certain energy cost.

This would allow semi-automated cargo transport based on existing features(docking, energy use, PlexStorages). In combination with other upcoming features(like salvagers, that put the salvaged items in PlexStorages) this would allow the whole cargo and salvaging sector of the StarMade-economy to grow extremely. Huge cargo containers and container transporters would be usable without causing much lag, since the cargo could be transported without having to keep the content of all PlexStorages permanently loaded, nor having to load all PlexStorages simultanously for loading and unloading. The current problem with big cargo storages on ships is, that, whenever one opens one's inventory, all PlexStorages(which can easily go up to 20k on cargo containers) are loaded and added to the GUI, causing an about 10 second or longer lasting framefreeze and maybe a crash.

The following quote-block contains some details about how exactly the octree can be used to implement this feature without many performance issues. If you neither know, how an octree works, nor know some details about java, this will not contain any relevant information to you.

The octree, which will be implemented within the next update, will also not interfere with the implementation of this feature. The nodes of the tree simply contain a boolean and a Boolean(I am referring to the class java.lang.Boolean), that determine, weither the part of the ship contains a PlexStorage, and if they are empty, partially filled, or completely filled.(the Boolean allows 3 states{true, false and null}, while the boolean only has 2 states{true and false}) Based on that information, the LoadingDockingModule skips all sections of the ship, that do not contain a PlexStorage or only contain completely filled PlexStorages.

As you can see, this suggestion would not only have a big effect, but would also be easy to implement.

Reaction score
    It may be not as much useful now because of the nature of plex storage. I could just make a \'cargo\' composed of a core, a plex storage and the load/unload modules and some power.

so it would be also nice to nerf the plex storage limiting in either the variety of items it can hold or the quantity of the items. that way cargo modules are much more useful.

also, the unload/load modules are kinda unnecessary. IMO, the cargo dock will automatically link the cargo\'s storage for acess on the main ship.

This idea is really fresh and neat, i hope it gets implemented :D

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    also, the unload/load modules are kinda unnecessary. IMO, the cargo dock will automatically link the cargo\'s storage for acess on the main ship.

That\'d work too, but I wanted something, that automatically moves items from ship to ship, because if I accidentally open the inventory in one of my cargo containers, my game freezes for a minute. If the container would be docked, and accessable from the main ship, it would only make the situation worse. That\'s, why I wanted a cargo mover, that automatically (un)loads cargo.

Nevertheless I agree with the PlexStorage nerf, currently a whole planet fits into a single PlexStorage, that\'s definetly too many items.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do really like the idea of having loading and unloading cargo modules!

There could be potential in this! Such as cargo ships could proberly get bigger and not cause sooooooooooooo much lagg. I mean, New kinds of factions can start up! (transport) and it would help the eco system as wellzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Such as cargo ships could proberly get bigger and not cause sooooooooooooo much lagg.

They mostly create lag, while someone has (accidentally) opened his inventory in one of them.(currently all PlexStorages are loaded, if someone opens his inventory in a ship core) So I wanted to create a way, that would allow moving cargo from one station/ship to another without having to open one\'s inventory. But I think I said that in the original post.

Reaction score
    Definitely think it would add a layer to gameplay. Adding something that allows for an easier flow of economy would further advance StarMade into being a world where the economy is a constantly adapting world of money inflow and outflow.

However, it\'s ideas like these, which are simply and easy to impliment, that would really make something like that a reality.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We need ships without main block or AI module, but can\'t be controlled by players then and might disappear after some minutes if not docked

an AI module should dock to you if you fire a docking beam at a smaller ship (not planet/base) - without hitting a docking bay - and replace the main block for turrets and never-player-controlled ships.

You could put flex-boxes on it (or make cheaper bombs, bombers, bomber-bombers, bomber-bomber-bomber-bombers, ...., but that is not primarily this topic)

Faction modules allow it to be save from enemy dock beams.

Flex doors could protect them from being a possible target for other players - and the lack of a main core (or ai-module) reduces signature spam.

Reaction score
    This certainly would make mining less of a pain. I like this idea, But wether or not they can impliment it is a different story

+1

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

Reaction score
    Bam, here it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4P1IecR9c) I already built a ship just for that cause.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    My average container is about 50x70x100 blocks, 48x68x98 of them are PlexStorages (that\'s about 300k plex storages).

Whenever I open my inventory in them, my game freezes for hours.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Each container\'s primary item is put in some container-variable which can get read by some holographic projector next to it (if more storates are next to it, show the item for the storage below first.

Furter away holographic projectors show the second and third item, etc. Or make a simple put/take or generate a shop-like-list for storage clusters and only update storages if one get destroyed, opened or picked up.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    1. What does a container-preview have to do with my idea(Except that my idea would add little sense to it)? Although a container-preview wouldn\'t make much sense either way, if you want to know, what\'s in a container, just open it, it\'s not like there will lie 20 stacks of the same item.

2. Do you know, how hard it\'d be to implement such a preview without causing much lag?(not as hard as most ridiculous ideas in the suggestions forum, but still)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The preview doesn\'t need exact numbers.

You could set a single hull block as preview if your plex-store contains only hulls.

If you go into a cargo-room and see all these plex-stores, you would see ghosted items next to them. Instead you have to search through all.

Reaction score
    I like these ideas, the game needs some ore like silver and gold, that can\'t be factory reproduced, that would support traders like this. give these kind of ships more of a reason. maybe these resources couldn\'t be kept in storage box\'s either.

Reaction score
    Nice ideas, would like to play around with this should it be implemented, maybe smaller mining ships going out to mine then coming back, dropping off the mined items onto a station or large ship and then going back out again? Sounds like it could be cool.