"Captain's Log" storylines to collect and piece together

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    But the point is that they don't have a unified canon. Not everyone agrees on what exactly amnesiacs do, or just how powerful the Foundation is. The SCP Foundation is a fantastic thing, but I'd rather not have the lore of Starmade be like that. The last thing we need is 500 different conflicting stories on the history of things, factions self-inserting themselves, how various systems work, and more.
    There's nothing wrong with faction self-inserts, as long as the faction name is halfway-decent (No Space Cow Federations or anything) and they don't predict future events that might not happen. Workings of systems is okay too, as long as you don't go too far in depth and start talking about replacing or parts of things that don't necessarily exist and may be contradicted by future crafting recipes. However, yeah, the actual history of the Pirates and whatnot should be off-limits.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There's nothing wrong with faction self-inserts, as long as the faction name is halfway-decent (No Space Cow Federations or anything) and they don't predict future events that might not happen. Workings of systems is okay too, as long as you don't go too far in depth and start talking about replacing or parts of things that don't necessarily exist and may be contradicted by future crafting recipes. However, yeah, the actual history of the Pirates and whatnot should be off-limits.
    I think it'd be better for the devs, or maybe a hired lore-writer, to write the lore.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think I'll bump this, since I agree but I find it wasteful to make a new topic for the same thing. SM needs more, better logbooks, and with the end of the station contest drawing near, I find it to be a good time to revisit what I feel should be stations' most interesting loot.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Suggestion: It would be neat to have a new contest after the station contest is over where people submit bits and pieces of lore in short log form. (multiple logs per story). Then the best, starmade-friendliest logs get voted way up, and the devs have an opportunity to copy-pasta the best stuff into the next version of the game as random logs. The best part about it will be all the free content that the devs get at minimal time cost. And the obvious benefit to us would be all the great new log entries as loot. "Gotta collect 'em all!"

I've already suggested a contest for sound effects in a different thread, but since some sounds were actually taken out that people liked, I'm not sure a sound effect contest is something that the devs want to deal with at this time. But this... This kind of log-lore contest would be a better thing.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am not against it, but I think there are more useful things to do first.
    Different shops. NPC chat.

If we have a quest system and players can submit chat parts ... it would be much more interesting!

What should I do with a "useless" logbook now as we have display blocks to store coordinates and other info? Make a room of them and you have more text easier accessible (also encourages going out of your cockpit (even if only with a camera - nice idea btw: disable text while in cockpit :D)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am not against it, but I think there are more useful things to do first.
    Different shops. NPC chat.

If we have a quest system and players can submit chat parts ... it would be much more interesting!

What should I do with a "useless" logbook now as we have display blocks to store coordinates and other info? Make a room of them and you have more text easier accessible (also encourages going out of your cockpit (even if only with a camera - nice idea btw: disable text while in cockpit :D)
    I wonder if the devs have looked at GearHead 2. I've never gotten very far past the inital character build, but I've read that it has a custom chat-and-quest system that dynamically creates storylines. That would be an interesting addition to the game, even if it created ridiculous scenarios. (Or maybe -especially- when it creates ridiculous scenarios!)

I imagine logbooks will be useful in some small way in the upcoming new crafting system. We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I can imagine people hoarding treasure chests full of related logbooks as their own personal story library. If logs become more varied and interesting, people might even trade logs they already have a copy of for logs they don't.

On a side note, does anyone else have the kind of bug where only the left-half of the log shows up? I only see the left half of the text. I can tell by the syntax that there is more text, but it just cuts off and is blank on the right side of the log. It might just be my resolution (1440x900) or probably my video driver.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I use 1900x1080 :p
    With 110 fov (want more!!!)

My problems are that the shop's item descriptions hide behind the scroll-bar and the new display blocks extend text beyond their boundaries.

Last edited by a moderator: