Captain Log and address book.

Reaction score
    This suggestion is small but in my opinion needed considering how large the world can be, in short a way to record data.

What I want is a way to record data a player considers reverent, A captain's log of sorts but more importantly an address book.
    Lets say you find a nice planet near by that you want to plunder for resources, record the planet in your address book along with a note and go off to retrieve your mining ship. Or if you want to record the location of nearby ships, ally stations, etc, just record the information in your address book.

The Captain's log is an expansion of the address book, simply a log that you record information you want to keep or feel is important.

Reactions: AsherMaximum

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    There is already an item that does this, its called the log book and can be found as loot in pirate stations

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There is already an item that does this, its called the log book and can be found as loot in pirate stations
    two problems with this. one you probably could have been nicer pointing it out with less asinine sarcasm. the second is those are almost always already full of text, I realize they can be blanked, and schema himself has stated this subject to change, but lastly its not the same as what we are asking for.

since we are getting crafting soon now is a good time to start asking for a book crafting recipe.

Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    two problems with this. one you probably could have been nicer pointing it out with less asinine sarcasm. the second is those are almost always already full of text, I realize they can be blanked, and schema himself has stated this subject to change, but lastly its not the same as what we are asking for.

since we are getting crafting soon now is a good time to start asking for a book crafting recipe.
    Well I'm sure something like that will get added soon, I mean why wouldn't it be added? But what sarcasm, to me it just seems like a regular post just pointing out an alternative until its eventually added in. Also, you could use display screens to show the coordinates and everything in a navigation room in a ship or something, That'd be a good reason to have a navigation room in a ship besides it just looking nice.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    just use display blocks on docked ships - logbooks just take too many clicks, have no header/name and take up inventory slots.

This way you can even obtain copies (once text saving issues get fixed) and view them in-flight with a cockpit pointing the docked ship.

I think it will be easier to ask for a better cockpit management system (annoying if you have 4 redundant cockpits facing each direction for example).

The easiest way (logically) is just flat down a ship vertically to uppermost/lowest block as 2 layers (and also 2 times horizontally), present them to the player as bitmaps with marked cockpits on them and let a player choose them by clicking them.

EDIT: Sage23 posted my statement about displays seconds earlier than me :/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Perhaps you could click and drag logbooks onto each other to "bind" them. This would add more character slots and lines by however many a logbook has. Then make logbooks buy able.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really would like to see some kind of personal computer block added for this sort of thing. Starships have computers. They've had computers since the original Star Trek before anyone imagined that a computer could synthesize a nearly human voice like my phone. Such computers are capable of data storage.

Alternatively, text files and such could be stored per player in a system similar to the new mail system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Until you can see the sector coördinates you selected in the map, you really should be able to write them down without having to get pen and paper. And even if you could see the coördinates in the map, if you travel really far, you don't want to have to remember where you have to go to in the map.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would be neat to coordinate a captain's log with the nav system, so you could highlight or otherwise select an entered set of coordinates, and have the direction be marked for travel, as if it were an adjacent sector (white nav diamond). "Helm, set course for -2, 53, 202. Engage!"

Reactions: Valiant70

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like to enter multiple coordinates.
    You could use it to keep track of what shops you have already visited and which not if you know their positions before you start navigating to all of them.

A captains log would also be useful to tell when you did last visit each sector/system

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It would be neat to coordinate a captain's log with the nav system, so you could highlight or otherwise select an entered set of coordinates, and have the direction be marked for travel, as if it were an adjacent sector (white nav diamond). "Helm, set course for -2, 53, 202. Engage!"
    Agreed

Reaction score
    This suggestion is small but in my opinion needed considering how large the world can be, in short a way to record data.

What I want is a way to record data a player considers reverent, A captain's log of sorts but more importantly an address book.
    Lets say you find a nice planet near by that you want to plunder for resources, record the planet in your address book along with a note and go off to retrieve your mining ship. Or if you want to record the location of nearby ships, ally stations, etc, just record the information in your address book.

The Captain's log is an expansion of the address book, simply a log that you record information you want to keep or feel is important.
    I *would =* like to see an expansion on the nav menu, a log GUI, in game notepad, map highlights, beacons, and a variety of other tricks to make exploring and retracing your steps far less work in the game. Their *are logs in the game right now, but frankly its easier to just jot a set of Coords onto a notepad file on your desktop. This in game functionality will improve, and we DO appreciate your input!

Reaction score
    There seems to be a perfect spot in the GUI already for keeping notes on locations. Right to the left in the Nav panel, there's all that blank space, so why not use it?
    Make it a favorites/bookmark area, entries can be added from either entered nav coordinates, or selected targets from the left panel, and then when saving them they can be given custom names.

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    There seems to be a perfect spot in the GUI already for keeping notes on locations. Right to the left in the Nav panel, there's all that blank space, so why not use it?
    Make it a favorites/bookmark area, entries can be added from either entered nav coordinates, or selected targets from the left panel, and then when saving them they can be given custom names.

And perhaps expandable descriptions...