"Cannons also have a native Punch-Through Effect"?

Reaction score
    Hi,

on the wiki, I read that:

"Cannons also have a native Punch-Through Effect that gives each shot a block piercing ability. This effect can also stack with a slaved Punch-Through effect."​

Can someone clarify this with actual numbers?

• Is it like 10%? 50%? 100%?
    • If it was, say, 10% "native", then adding 100% punch-through would give me 110% punch-through?
    • What if I use 100% explosive instead? Do I get 10% punch-through and 100% explosive? Or do I loose the (for example) 10% native punch-through?

Reaction score
    I'm not sure about what percentage the actual punch through is, but punch through does increase the penetration, to the point where punch through is still probably the best effect for smaller weapon systems.

And yes, you keep all of your penetration if you put an explosive effect on your cannon. It works really well for bigger, slower firing weapons. Though I don't think you get any benefit from going more then 10% explosive (unless that has been changed, haven't had much chance to play lately).

Reactions: skunkiferous

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    indeed, damage beams also have a native piercing effect. just need to update the weapons pages of the wiki.

Reactions: skunkiferous
    Reaction score
    Hi,
    Can someone clarify this with actual numbers?

Here's AMC with "native punch through" side-by-side with AMC+100% punch through effect, both with 3000 blocks total.

Under penetration, ( ) is the listed block penetration in the weapons menu, then from left to right it's penetration through blocks with 0 armor, basic hull, standard armor, and advanced armor.

Because both types do the same shield damage, using AMC+punch-through will objectively punch through more blocks than AMC alone.

*Edit*
    also the wiki article is wrong on the Punch Through passive effect
    The number of blocks required is [shipmass/18] not [shipblocks/180].

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    The old punchthrough effect allowed for cannon shots to deal damage to more than just one block.

Now punch increases block damage and armor bar damage. Thats it, according to the configs. (Last I checked)