Cannon with explosive effects

Reaction score
    Could someone tell me if AMCs with explosive effect is still limited to the 10% "cap"? Initially, I'd heard it was a bug, but not sure if it were ever addressed or.....

THanks!

Dv

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    bug is still in place, slave percentage over 10% just sends damage into the void.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    bug is still in place, slave percentage over 10% just sends damage into the void.
    All hail the void :)
    Is this the only bug we should know?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Could someone tell me if AMCs with explosive effect is still limited to the 10% "cap"? Initially, I'd heard it was a bug, but not sure if it were ever addressed or.....

THanks!

Dv
    It is a "bug," sort of. However, it isn't that the larger radii don't work due to faulty code, it's just that Schema hasn't figured out a way to implement radial damage calculations for Explosive effect in a way that won't lag the game to hell, so it remains essentially an unimplemented feature.

Reaction score
    Are explosive weapons still worth it or are we better off going with another effect like punch or pierce?

Reaction score
    Explosive it good for cannons that are already punching through a lot, so usually big cannons.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    technically punch will always have more potential block destruction with a cannon as far as i know.
    But obviously can over-penetrate like crazy (and also waste damage when in too few groups i think), and there comes a point when adding more groups to a computer is just bad. So very large cannons can really benefit from it. Worth mentioning to beware though because c-c-e gets real good at hogging up CPU around the same time its get really useful.

*Also, for now, looking at config values it seems like scaling it beyond 10% is pretty bad, as it has a -.05 block damage penalty attached to it that you'd get all of at 100%. Even though it does still technically scale the dps like any weapons block, it'd be at half efficiency with no real point until the explosive radius is uncapped. At least thats what im thinking when looking at it.

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    technically punch will always destroy more blocks with a cannon as far as i know.
    But obviously can over-penetrate like crazy (and also waste damage when in too few groups i think), and there comes a point when adding more groups to a computer is just bad. So very large cannons can really benefit from it. Worth mentioning to beware though because c-c-e gets real good at hogging up CPU around the same time its get really useful.
    recently schema optimized it a bit more, there was actually a lot of people were talking about how optimizations like that were changing the meta.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    recently schema optimized it a bit more, there was actually a lot of people were talking about how optimizations like that were changing the meta.
    I'd say that combo is still probably the most problematic though :p
    and yeah I agree there, cannon-cannon machineguns especially seem to overheat shit scary fast right now, once they hit a good damage per shot anyway.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd say that combo is still probably the most problematic though :p
    and yeah I agree there, cannon-cannon machineguns especially seem to overheat shit scary fast right now, once they hit a good damage per shot anyway.
    yup!
    So, the takeaway is use cannon cannon punch until you hit a good size (just shoot at a brick wall of the armor type you want to defeat until it works good enough) and then transition into cannon cannon 10%explosive

With cannon beam you want to transition to explosive right away, and actually if your not careful it will almost always overpenetrate and your damage will pass clear through the enemy ship without breaking as much as it should of.

Reaction score
    Good to know! So rough ballpark how many blocks or how much damage should you be at before you transition to explosive? 1000 blocks? 2000 blocks? More?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I recently added a C/C/E to my big ship I'm building. And I learned that 29400 total size with 8 outputs is as big as I can probably go because of lag.

Good to know! So rough ballpark how many blocks or how much damage should you be at before you transition to explosive? 1000 blocks? 2000 blocks? More?
    According to my questionable math... maybe switch over at around 2500 modules for one output