Can you give me some advise regarding high-quality SCREEN RECORDING?

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Hi everyone! :^D

I was hoping that someone will be able to give me some proper advise about recording gameplay in high quality. I researched this but only found old threads on the subject, and also did myself some experimentation that ended with disappointing results.

ShadowPlay doesn't work with StarMade, and two other free screen recorders were able to produced only pixelated and over-saturated video that all seemed to shift slightly into yellow.

I have very nice in-progress work to show which i believe will be enjoyed by many players, but i must know how others achieve so good-looking video material before i start shooting the stuff i've been planning for a while.

So if you know such things, please tell what software / in-game settings / video export configs i should use.
    (Also, i guess i should mention that i play on a laptop with 2 GPUs and an external display.)

*My system specs:

64-bit Windows 7 / 8GB of RAM

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ / 4 cores, 2.6 GHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 950M / 4GB of VRAM

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Open Broadcaster Software | Home

I don't know if your specs will be able to handle gameplay plus smooth recording. There are some great tutorials out there for OBS, we use OBS at Schine to record most (if not all) gameplay footage.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    A lot of people use OBS Studio - been using it myself recently, and while I've had issues getting the game to record properly (presumably a hardware / system issue on my end), it does do very nice quality recordings of other software (including realtime painting in photoshop - something that doesnt always record well), and has a good amoutn of options regarding recording settings.

Bandicam has previously given me good results in SM, however, the free version is limited to 10 minute clips.

Hope thats of use!
    [doublepost=1491660369,1491659935][/doublepost]
    I don't know if your specs will be able to handle gameplay plus smooth recording.
    I think my issue was OBS trying to use 50%+ of my cpu and giving a slideshow recording. I'm only on an i5 though, so hopefully the OPs I7 will make a difference there.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Thanks DukeofRealms and Sachys !
    I will take a look into your recommendations, and see how well OBS and Bandicam performs on my machine :)
    No worries. if you have good bandwidth, then OBS may work well for you streaming at the least (didnt use as much CPU for me). it certainly works well for other software. There are other programs like Xsplit and camtasia of course, but i havent tried them with SM.

Edit: additionally, if you need editing software, ive been using Shotcut this week, and been fairly happy with the result.
    [doublepost=1491662017,1491660626][/doublepost]I just tested xsplit - seemed to chew the cpu like OBS did for me, however, it didnt give a slideshow recording, but was an utter pain to get going - including the fact it needed to be online and logged in. the output quality was awful in comparison to bandicam.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    No worries. if you have good bandwidth, then OBS may work well for you streaming at the least (didnt use as much CPU for me). it certainly works well for other software.

Thanks again for the info, the other tools you recommended might've been useful too, but OBS Studio turned out to work excellently.

Initially, my main problem with the overly bright and over-saturated image persisted (at playback, while normally every setting is fine), but since this was an issue with other software as well, i looked deeper and realized that my 2-gpu machine had some altered video playback settings associated with the built-in intel gpu. Fixed that and everything looks beautiful now.

It's so very convenient that OBS has a straight-forward output option called "Indistinguishable", instead of heaving to deal with codec settings and whatnot.

I might start a shipyard thread now to showcase some of the eye-candy i've been working on recently, perhaps even trying to make a fast-forward speed-build clip :^D

Reactions: Sachys
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Hello, Sachys, i just wanted to say a third thanks, because the Shotcut software you recommended proved to be extremely useful too.

It's the perfect video editor for my needs, it's very resourceful once one gets familiar with things like all those "filters".

I already started to make a teaser trailer for a little series i'm planning, having much fun with it, glad you recommended these tools :)