Can we get some in depth info on the new weapon system? Seriously....

Reaction score
    Anyone else want an in depth, example laden, instructional piece on this new weapon system?

Quoting straight from patch notes:

"This system extends the old weapon system by a huge number of possibilities.

You can connect any MAIN system to any shooting system (salvage, astrotech, etc, as well as all MAIN) to get a change in the weapon behavior."

Sounds great...but I can't get any weapon blocks to attach to any computers that aren't their own type. On top of that the d1000 missiles, which are supposed to be the "missile" in game, even though all the other missile types are still in there, won't even allow me to connect the weapon blocks to their own computers.

"The effects are fully customizable by the ratio of the blocks you connect. So if you connect a Weapon Computer with 100 AMC to a master Weapon Computer with 200 AMC, you get just 50% of the reload buff, but also only 50% of the damage nerf. This means you can fully customize your weapons exactly the way you like."

Sounds neat again....however, merely telling me about the master/slave concept does nothing for me. It makes absolutely zero sense when I am trying to implement it during a session.

This is so unintuitive it hurts.

And to add insult to injury they add a video of zero useful information. It is simply a "oooh shiny" video.

Some in depth information would be appreciated.

Reaction score
    You attach blocks to their respective computers. You then link the "master" computer to the "slave" computers like factories.

If you have 1,000 blocks in the master computer, you'll need 1,000 blocks in the slave computers to obtain the maximum effect.

You can link 1 "main" computer (Cannon/Pulse/Beam/Missile) and 1 "effect" computer (Grab/Pierce/Pull/Explosive/Etc) to your "master" computer.

As for the effects, I'll leave that for you to find. The main update post has a link to a small chart I believe.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    You can open the Weapons Menu, and -if they are on your ship, meaning you have placed them- you will have a list of available computers and effects. All main computers have 2 slots next to it. One for a secondary weapon, which will not fire, and can be stowed away somewhere deep in your craft. The second slot is used for an effect. You make effects the same way you make weapons, with an effect computer, and effect blocks. These can be assigned to any weapon for an interesting new function, or simply be assigned to the hotbar to produce an effect of their own.
    Example:
    When used like a weapon of it's own, Push causes a burst forward, and Ion strengthens shields.
    But when assigned to weapons, Push pushes away stuff, and Ion does more damage to shields.

All weapons, are basically simple computer+weapon connections. You should not try to connect computers with weapons not their type.

The master system, is the type of the weapon. For example: I have a beam computer+beams, which I connect another beam computer+beams to via the Weapons Menu, which results in a beam master with a beam slave. It is really as easy as dragging them around in the menu. You can also not link a smaller master to a larger slave.

There are 2 ways of connection now. The first is the basic connection, done with C+V. The other, is the combination of basic connections through the Weapons Menu. The latter involves dragging computers to their respective slots.

Furthermore, the old missiles are still in the game because everyone needs time to get rid of it all, sell it, and to avoid corruption in blueprints. they won't fire, and won't connect anymore.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    These changes are so over complicated, especially for a newcomer to the game. I spent half my time helping newbs with the old weapons systems, but this new setup is something else.

Why has the tutorial not been updated to include how to use this new system?

I'm sorry, but I see this over complication as bad for the game. It is aimed directly at the hardcore Starmade player and dramatically widens the gap between new players and the hardcore builders. This will turn many potential new players away when they can't workout how to get a weapon to fire more than once every few seconds.

Reaction score
    Again..from the patch notes.

"Not only can you combine your weapon systems, you can also add an effect to it."

That doesn't jive with your description. They make it sound like it is a 3rd option AFTER combining your two weapon types.

If that is the "effects" chart then what is the point of the list of effects later on in the notes?

@Wardog

I am not the only person having issues with this so acting like I am unintelligent by posting "As for the effects, I'll leave that for you to find. The main update post has a link to a small chart I believe." is not very helpful.

The patch notes are so jumbled and non-informative it is painful.

All they needed to do was post a simple break down, or a simple video of something OTHER than them showing off the shiny. Seriously....a 30 second tutorial video would be all that is needed but that managed to escape them.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    The way I understand it, you can link weapon computers, (example: weapon computer A + Weapon Computer B), and THEN if you wish you may add an effect (effect computers found under "General">"Effects" in the shop) but you are not required to add an effect.

Weapon computer A (main weapon) + Weapon Computer B (alters how that weapon behaves, makes it behave like a rapid fire or shotgun for example?) + Effect computer (adds an extra effect - "tertiary effects" - if you wish, effects such as: Piercing, EMP, Explosive, Push, and so on)

*Note: The word Tertiary itself means "..of the third order, rank, stage, formation, etc.; third."

Tertiary effects were mentioned in the past here: http://star-made.org/news/balance-and-effects

I do agree it could have been made a bit clearer, and I hope I'm understanding it well enough myself. Hope it helped to make things a little clearer though. ^_^;;

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    you have the set of weapons that form primary weapons. These are the basic AMC, Beam, Missile and Pulse. Then you have secondary weapons, which are formed by linking 2 primary systems together. Tertiary weapon effects are the push, pull, ion etc, and get added to a secondary weapon to change how it affects the enemy rather than just doing damage

Reactions: AnnaShade017

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    It isn't that hard. Take a master computer. Lets make that Master computer an AMC for this example. Set up your AMC computer and attach 10 cannons to it like you would normally do. If you fire it, you will notice the AMC fires a hell of a lot slower than normal. Take a second AMC computer and 10 more AMC cannons and place the same exact number of them somewhere, it doesn't matter because these ones will not be firing. Look at the first AMC computer, press c. Look at the second AMC computer, press V. Its exactly like adding cannons to a computer, but with another computer instead. Now when you fire the AMC it will fire rapidly. When a computer is slaved to another one they become part of the same system and only one of the computers will be on the weapons tab for you to place it on your hotbar

On the chart in the patch notes, the top row displays the Master computers and the left row shows the effects of a Slave computer. You can change how the entire system behaves by adding a third computer, which are the effects. Lets say you want it to be an EMP cannon now. EMP will deplete enemy power. Place an EMP computer down and 10 EMP cannon blocks. Do the same thing you did before, press C on the first AMC computer and press V on the new EMP computer. The EMP is now slaved to the AMC cannons you just made and give it 100% effect. In order for it to have 100% effect, there needs to be the same number of slav blocks to the original master blocks. You can see this in the weapons tab so its easier to count.

Reaction score
    .keJ
    Yeah i can see how "main" and "shooting" are misleading in the patch notes.
    I think you were thinking "main" as in weapon computer block and "shooting" as in weapon modules block.

The weapon system kinda works the same as before. You still need to have a weapon computer connected to its corresponding modules to make a "gun". The difference is you can add two "guns" together. What you add will create different ways of dealing damage. Like an amc gun added to an amc gun makes a rapid fire amc.

The easiest way to add "guns" together is to press " T " to open the weapons menu. You'll notice a list of computers with two blank spaces for each one. lets say you have two amc computers on your weapons list. If you click and drag on the image of the amc computer at the bottom of the list you can place it into the first blank space of the amc computer at the top of the list.
    The second blank space is for added "effects". These effects when placed on your ship will pop up on your weapons list. Click and drag the image of the effect computer and place it on the second blank space of a gun on your weapons list so that gun will have an effect. like adding explosive effect to an amc gun means when that amc projectile hits a block it will explode dealing damage to nearby blocks.

The usefulness of effects and adding weapons depends on ratios. Like i add an amc gun made of 10 modules(minus the computer) to an amc gun of 10 modules i will have 100% ratio. If i add an amc gun of 5 modules to an amc gun of 10 modules then the i will have a 50% ratio and the end result is a rapid fire gun that is shooting half as fast as it could be.

The new weapon system is kinda like RPG upgrading. You have two of the same dagger(gun) that you can combine to make a different weapon and then you can add poison(effect) to it!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I'm curious, what happens if you have 10 slave blocks to 1 master block, do you get 1000% effect of the slave system?

Reactions: therimmer96
    Reaction score
    You get a master, which is the AMC computer d100 or laser computer, and you add some blocks that are attached to the computer (d100 computer and blocks for example)

You get the effect computer and attach an equal amount of blocks the same way as before.

Then press c on the Master computer and then press v while looking at the effect computer. Or you can just press t and click and drag the computers together.

We do need a slider rather than 'have 1:1 ratio of blocks' however, to make the system more intuitive and adaptable (instead of digging out all blocks and starting again)

Reaction score
    On the chart in the patch notes, the top row displays the Master computers and the left row shows the effects of a Slave computer. You can change how the entire system behaves by adding a third computer, which are the effects. Lets say you want it to be an EMP cannon now. EMP will deplete enemy power. Place an EMP computer down and 10 EMP cannon blocks. Do the same thing you did before, press C on the first AMC computer and press V on the new EMP computer. The EMP is now slaved to the AMC cannons you just made and give it 100% effect. In order for it to have 100% effect, there needs to be the same number of slav blocks to the original master blocks. You can see this in the weapons tab so its easier to count.
    What if I have 10 AMC blocks in the master group and 10 in the slave group but 10 EMC blocks for the master group? Does it do 100% EMP damage then? Or do I need 20 since master+slave would be 20 blocks total?

And what if I have only 5 EMP blocks? Is 50% of the damage EMP damage then and the rest normal damage?

Also, how does the defence stuff of the EMP blocks work? Do connected Effect blocks also give their defensive boost? Is stuff like the armor-hardening or shield-boost passive or active? How does their power scale? Is it in relation with the ship size? So a bigger ship with more hull needs more effect-blocks with the armor-boost in order to get a higher percentage?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm curious, what happens if you have 10 slave blocks to 1 master block, do you get 1000% effect of the slave system?
    It won't work. Which makes me sad. All I want is 8km sniper lasers. :p

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Slave effects plateau at 50:50 but you still loose master effectiveness so you don't want to go higher. Maybe this will change as any ratio other that 100:0 and 50:50 has inconsistent results right now.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Slave effects plateau at 50:50 but you still loose master effectiveness so you don't want to go higher. Maybe this will change as any ratio other that 100:0 and 50:50 has inconsistent results right now.
    I hope so, it's rather annoying in some instances to be honest. For example, I want to make a railgun type weapon: well, I can't accelerate the projectile past 2x the base speed, which is still waaay too slow to even be considered close to being a railgun.

If I want to sacrifice damage for projectile speed then let me :P

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    What if I have 10 AMC blocks in the master group and 10 in the slave group but 10 EMC blocks for the master group? Does it do 100% EMP damage then? Or do I need 20 since master+slave would be 20 blocks total?

And what if I have only 5 EMP blocks? Is 50% of the damage EMP damage then and the rest normal damage?

Also, how does the defence stuff of the EMP blocks work? Do connected Effect blocks also give their defensive boost? Is stuff like the armor-hardening or shield-boost passive or active? How does their power scale? Is it in relation with the ship size? So a bigger ship with more hull needs more effect-blocks with the armor-boost in order to get a higher percentage?

If there are 10 blocks in the master system, then you only need to match that number with any other slave system you connect to get 100% Adding more blocks will do nothing to benefit the system overall. So a ratio of 10/10/10 will give a 100% boost from both slave systems. I'm going to assume that having a ratio of 10/5 would mean that half of the damage would be converted to EMP.

I have no idea how the effects work on a ship as defensive systems yet. I hadn't looked into them at all and I have no idea if it will display their values like they do for the weapons. I believe they are entirely passive systems that you do not have to activate and I would imagine you would need more blocks for a larger ship.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    If there are 10 blocks in the master system, then you only need to match that number with any other slave system you connect to get 100% Adding more blocks will do nothing to benefit the system overall. So a ratio of 10/10/10 will give a 100% boost from both slave systems. I'm going to assume that having a ratio of 10/5 would mean that half of the damage would be converted to EMP.

I have no idea how the effects work on a ship as defensive systems yet. I hadn't looked into them at all and I have no idea if it will display their values like they do for the weapons. I believe they are entirely passive systems that you do not have to activate and I would imagine you would need more blocks for a larger ship.
    Effect Systems can be dragged into the hotbar for clock/jam-like activation. You can drag them from the weapons menu straight to the hotbar.

Reaction score
    When i combine computers the game crashes :)
    I've seen this happen with trying to combine antimatter computers with salvage ones. When you start the game back up, the effect with them combined is still there.
    Also, the AMC/salvage cannon combo is really useful. Mostly because its just a fast salvage cannon

Reactions: AnnaShade017